List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Only an AFL.com article so not worth reading into as much more than a talking point but mentions that Mabior Chol is looking tradeable.

I actually wouldn't mind that - obviously the priority should be the draft so it'd depend what he'd cost but he's versatile and only 26, would protect Oscar/the younger Williams and be able to chop out in the ruck for Bailey (I still don't subscribe to Bailey being predominantly a forward, think he's best majority rucking).

GC always need later picks to get their points up and depending on his salary may want to dump him in that sense - he might not cost much at all. I'd honestly pay a fair bit to protect both Oscar and BBBBW from wrecking themselves before they're 28 and Chol is a young enough option for that to be around for as long as we need him for.
Chol has some talent but I don’t get the impression he’s that keen on rucking.

Clearly not friends with Hardwick.

Last edited:

If we are in the process of hiding, who is the person we could be hiding this year....

irJHR1tC.jpg%20+%20

Brad Johnson on SEN's website o trading g pick 1:

Which ones then Brad, or does your analysis not go that deep?

So Brad's goal is that we need 2 players to add that next layer with (Bailey) Williams (Pick 35), (Luke) Edwards (pick 52), (Noah) Long (Pick 58), and (Elijah) Hewett (Pick 14)?

Based on these picks reckon we probably have a decent chance of doing that with Pick 1 and Pick 19 Brad...

Can we at least bring in one player that has a bit of mongrel about them because we would have to be hands down, overall the most timid and nice WC team of all time (particularly with Shuey goneski).

And no more SPS's.
I’ll give you two.

Preuss and Powell-Pepper

Preuss: 28 years old 207cm 118kg
Out of contract. Likely cost nothing. Genuine enforcer and good ruck. Would allow BW to play forward. Obvious injury concerns but is a human wrecking ball when fit. Ideal world he provides 3 years for Barnett or another draftee to develop if we don’t go for English.

SPP: 25 years old 187cm 98kg
From WA but contracted. Was playing SANFL a couple of seasons ago but now in good form as a forward. Could be pushed out with a fit Georgiades and Dixon. Does not get mid clock for Port. Could rotate forward and mid. Big body to assist our young inside mids.

Port currently hold picks 37 + 43 so may need to move on a player if they want Ratugolea and/or Grundy.

If North don't get #3 for Mackay and dont take Curtin.
I wonder at what point Curtin becomes gettable without giving up too much.

If things go our way
1. Reid WC
2. Walter GC
3. McKercher NM
4. Duursma HW
5. Watson (GC pick)
6. Caddy (Melb)

I wonder if we got this far in the draft and it got to GWS who have multiple firsts if they do a future pick swap. Our F1 for their F2. Gives them a likely top 4 for next year and they do like to carry picks forward. Considering we would've likely taken him at 2, we would get Curtin and a F2 rather then giving an additional 2nd, which would probably be required up front.

Jones and Burgiel are small backs not forwards. We need there run and skills off half back.
Jones as a fwd is about Brockmans level.
Burgiel can play off a fwd flank a bit like Petruccelle so isn't the worst option even if not a "natural" small forward.

Cripps
Ryan*
Brockman*
Long*
Collard*

Rotations

Hewett*
Reid*

Players with * add X factor.

So from that list Id be surprised if we invested a top 10 pick on a small medium forward with the club chasing X factor. We likely have it.
I'd like the best possible full time candidate to set and forget for 200 games and 400 goals 😉We don't have anyone on the list who has the nous, pace, tackling and goal kicking.

Collard is the one I hope we get this year as he's no lock to be that good but has the prerequisites to give himself a chance.
Long is doing a great job but may be asked to play further up the ground which is a great outcome to replace Cripps who will be done in a year or two.

With:
Ryan as more a 3rd tall or smaller FF
Reid as more a 3rd tall or smaller FF
Hewett off a flank or resting from mid

We saw in 2021, when Rioli was banned that Simmo picked up a billion small forwards with no success. So it'll have to be a decent pick used if there's someone that good out there.
Otherwise we settle for lucky dip and hope we pickup someone who improves out of sight from nowhere and settle with a Jones/Brockman level guy until we can upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much of the Curtin #2 stuff is driven by a strong desire from the East that WCE trade Pick 1?

He went from a top 10 prospect to a top 3 within a few weeks there.
Rawlings and North seem pretty keen on him at 2 also. So its not that far out of the realm.
Plus he's had a great few games in the WAFL which always boosts players ranking if they perform well against men.

I’ll give you two.

Preuss and Powell-Pepper

Preuss: 28 years old 207cm 118kg
Out of contract. Likely cost nothing. Genuine enforcer and good ruck. Would allow BW to play forward. Obvious injury concerns but is a human wrecking ball when fit. Ideal world he provides 3 years for Barnett or another draftee to develop if we don’t go for English.

SPP: 25 years old 187cm 98kg
From WA but contracted. Was playing SANFL a couple of seasons ago but now in good form as a forward. Could be pushed out with a fit Georgiades and Dixon. Does not get mid clock for Port. Could rotate forward and mid. Big body to assist our young inside mids.

Port currently hold picks 37 + 43 so may need to move on a player if they want Ratugolea and/or Grundy.

Powell-Pepper is pretty locked into that contending Port side - I don’t see them looking to skittle him any time soon. He’s also better suited to the forward role as he’s a notorious butcher in the middle.

Pruess…well, he’s lucky he’s tall isn’t he?
Looking at his 4th club and hasn’t actually nailed a spot at his other 3 clubs so far. Injury and suspension plagued. 28 games in total at 3 clubs, coming into his 9th year in the system - 28 years old - if it all clicks for him now it’d be a genuine surprise.

Rawlings and North seem pretty keen on him at 2 also. So its not that far out of the realm.
Plus he's had a great few games in the WAFL which always boosts players ranking if they perform well against men.
North would be negligent if we did not draft a tall when we have the chance. Brady Rawlings has already mentioned that

Jones as a fwd is about Brockmans level.
Burgiel can play off a fwd flank a bit like Petruccelle so isn't the worst option even if not a "natural" small forward.

I'd like the best possible full time candidate to set and forget for 200 games and 400 goals 😉We don't have anyone on the list who has the nous, pace, tackling and goal kicking.

Collard is the one I hope we get this year as he's no lock to be that good but has the prerequisites to give himself a chance.
Long is doing a great job but may be asked to play further up the ground which is a great outcome to replace Cripps who will be done in a year or two.

With:
Ryan as more a 3rd tall or smaller FF
Reid as more a 3rd tall or smaller FF
Hewett off a flank or resting from mid

We saw in 2021, when Rioli was banned that Simmo picked up a billion small forwards with no success. So it'll have to be a decent pick used if there's someone that good out there.
Otherwise we settle for lucky dip and hope we pickup someone who improves out of sight from nowhere and settle with a Jones/Brockman level guy until we can upgrade.

I'd suggest the club is putting a fair amount of faith in Long and Brockman to fill your requirements in that area of the ground.

Until we address more pressing needs I can't see us using a top 10 pick on a small forward.

How much of the Curtin #2 stuff is driven by a strong desire from the East that WCE trade Pick 1?

He went from a top 10 prospect to a top 3 within a few weeks there.
A combination of lazy reporting due to nobody over East doing any list analysis on WCE, as well as desperately not wanting the best Vic junior in a decade going to the club they hate the most.

None of it founded in reality.

Pruess…well, he’s lucky he’s tall isn’t he?
Looking at his 4th club and hasn’t actually nailed a spot at his other 3 clubs so far. Injury and suspension plagued. 28 games in total at 3 clubs, coming into his 9th year in the system - 28 years old - if it all clicks for him now it’d be a genuine surprise.
He was behind Gawn at the Dees, and then he was number 1 ruck at GWS until injuries and Briggs emergence this year. He would be a great get as long as his body holds up

I'm yet to see one Vic media kent even remotely entertain the idea of us using pick 1 on Reid.

The entire thing is a given we'll either:

A) Trade it, more than likely for peanuts
or B) Select Curtin with pick 1

Both options are a disaster and definitely worth a melt or three over the next few months before the draft.

Cartoon My Body Is Ready GIF

I'm yet to see one Vic media kent even remotely entertain the idea of us using pick 1 on Reid.

Both options are a disaster and definitely worth a melt or three over the next few months before the draft.

Reckon we'd all be banned, the entire West Coast board, from BigFooty if either of those options came true.

I think the only reason that the "Vic Media" is suggesting that is that one player is not going to fix you list in the interim. By trading pick 1 then you theoretically could get multiple early picks. Nort traded pick 1 last year due in part to the debacle with Jason Corne Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back