List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
1) There was a large number of high end players affected by substantial injuries. I accept risk comes with age - but one would hope that both mirror that got cracked & the black cat that got skittled have both been replaced for 22.

2) To suggest there is no improvement in the group because they're too old is simply wrong. Allen, Duggan, Rotham, Foley, Williams, both Edwards, Trew, Winder etc have enormous potential for development based on age and that is a third of a team right there. And I can see many of these as 1st choice players round 1 next year

3) Critical players like Yeo, Ryan, Kelly and Barrass are still young enough to become better and more consistent.

4) Rioli is important and available.

Fine line between glass half full & half empty.
Are we on the hunt for a list manager mate? Or are soft cap issues hurting our staff budget?

This is pretty much it.

Main difference is huge amount of pressure hanging over Simpson this year. The truth has come out in the wash: lack of unity, internal club politics, cultural problems with training intensity and preparation and a team of yes men coaching staff (source the multiple comments from nisbett, Simpson). This explains everything. Simpson now is being given the opportunity to improve: 2 senior assistant coaches from outside and a rocket up the players to rock up prepared for preseason (nisbett again). No doubt if we miss the finals the club can say we gave you everything, it’s on you. Whether we would chase clarkson is unknown, but the spectre of him being available is going to put serious pressure on under performing coaches and clubs. We have also hinted about going over the soft cap so we would absorb a pay out I suspect. Pressure on simpson will will hopefully flow on to changes in the game plan, selection, and player effort and preparation. We make finals (especially top 4) and Simpson is safe.

Would be great to see how Trew, Winder & Edwards go with another pre-season to their belts.

All started the year off well and showed they could play so fingers crossed they progress.

Winder is the one I'm excited about. Caught the last stream he played WAFL and just saw a few glimpses of what he can do that I thought was pretty cool.

Main difference is huge amount of pressure hanging over Simpson this year. The truth has come out in the wash: lack of unity, internal club politics, cultural problems with training intensity and preparation and a team of yes men coaching staff (source the multiple comments from nisbett, Simpson). This explains everything. Simpson now is being given the opportunity to improve: 2 senior assistant coaches from outside and a rocket up the players to rock up prepared for preseason (nisbett again). No doubt if we miss the finals the club can say we gave you everything, it’s on you. Whether we would chase clarkson is unknown, but the spectre of him being available is going to put serious pressure on under performing coaches and clubs. We have also hinted about going over the soft cap so we would absorb a pay out I suspect. Pressure on simpson will will hopefully flow on to changes in the game plan, selection, and player effort and preparation. We make finals (especially top 4) and Simpson is safe.

Yep, credits in bank all used up for Simo and the senior players.

Put up or ship out should be the message.

I'm not surprised TBH, look at the past, whenever we taste a bit of success it goes to our heads and we think we can slack off. Seen this cycle over the years.

Lets get a Bailey Rogers type in who would be desperate to succeed and bust their arse at AFL level to break into the team. If things don't improve then make the tough call and tap a underperforming contracted player on the shoulder and move them on. Even if we do pay a portion of a salary.

Need to get the team culture back in the right head space.

Last edited:
Bit happening right now so reckon the club may get over this period before moving on that. Yes soft cap an issue but club recognises list manager important

Appreciate your info as always!

We’ve got a decent enough crop of guys 28 and under. Looking at guys born 1994 and after:

Cole, Barrass, Rotham
Duggan, Edwards, Witherden
Sheed, Kelly, Edwards
Rioli, Waterman, Petruccelle
Jones, Allen, Ryan
Williams, Sheed, Nelson
Foley, Jamieson, West, Winder
Sub: Langdon

There’s definitely some weaknesses there: chiefly the midfield (note that Yeo just missed the cutoff, Gaff, Shuey and Redden missed by a long way) and ruck where we’re extremely reliant on NicNat. We need to address those areas in the draft.
Apart from Kelly, Oscar and Ryan, it is very light on in top end talent. You get to fill the positions but ….
Without the good inside and balanced mids feeding the likes of Sheed and Kelly, that team looks pretty poor. The team you put up will likely be 18th in contested ball

You must really rate Sheed - on the wing and ruck rover!!!

Or like West? Only wish he was given more opportunity when we had injuries, in the way you've explained here.

The other issue is we will (finally, surely...) draft some mids at the pointy end of the draft this year. Add these to our picks from last year, who've all shown something here and could be deserving opportunity after their first full preseason.

Collins and even Burrows I reckon are fine as speculative looks at kids who've shown potential. Prefer this use of the rookie list than picking up the dregs delisted from other clubs.

Gorter will forever be our worst rookie selection imo

There's not alot I disagree with you on here, you can 100% argue that speculative rookie picks are how we've landed Harry Edwards but my opinion is that our rookie picks could've been a more even balance of plug & play and speculative picks. West was the first "ready to go" player I can remember taking to our rookie list.

In the same method I would argue that what we call "speculative" picks goes way too far. I don't believe Gorter, Burrows or even Collins had proven enough to be worth a rookie pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must really rate Sheed - on the wing and ruck rover!!!

Ah bugger. Thought I’d mistakenly overlooked him for being over the age limit so I stuck him onball and pushed West to the bench.

Combination of a bit or wear & tear together with a running action that causes inflammation.
Rest will help along with some surgical intervention. Not hearing its as dire as 1 poster here wants to suggest

On a scale of 'didnt ****ing happen' to 100, just how exploratory was Shuey's off season surgery?

Sort of suggests the game plan won't be changing too much ?

Doesn’t bringing in two experienced, big name assistant coaches for the midfield suggest the opposite?

Adding Hewett and Cerra means there's no chance SPS gets midfield time, so he'll definitely stick with wanting to leave, no matter how they spin it as Voss talking to him and him potentially staying.

All but confirms that Freo will now have 2 picks ahead of us in the draft. I think they’ll go a mid and a KPF. Interesting to see if they go local or Vic kids after Cerra’s departure.

1) There was a large number of high end players affected by substantial injuries. I accept risk comes with age - but one would hope that both mirror that got cracked & the black cat that got skittled have both been replaced for 22.

Melbourne were the opposite with pretty much a dream run injury wise through out the season with 16 players playing 23 games or more during the season

1632890403136.png

Last edited:
Age and injuries probably against him, but if there’s not much on the board at our last rookie pick I wouldn’t be against Vandenberg if he we was still there.

we desperately need a hf/mid to rotate with Kelly, and he’s got the mongrel that aside from yeo/nicnat our squad severely lacks.

Anyone know much of:

Richard Farmer:

"Part of West Coast's Next-Generation Academy, Richard Farmer was a livewire for Western Australia. A 173cm small forward, Farmer is a natural crumber and took on the game aggressively with his speed and agility, including cheekily running around and past the man on the mark from a set shot to finish for a goal from 30m. He was also lively at ground level, one take with his pickups, changing direction so quickly opponents couldn't react to what he was doing. He felt dangerous and like he would make something happen every time he touched the ball. Farmer proved difficult to catch with ball in hand, utilising his quick mind and dancing feet to avoid tackles, but on the few occasions he did get caught he cleared easily by hand to a target, remaining composed and unphased."

Arthur Jones:

"A draft smokie who little was expected of for Western Australia in the Grand Final curtain raiser against South Australia, Arthur Jones was the star of the day, playing a major part in his side's five-point win.

With just the nine games of WAFL Colts exposure before Saturday's match, club recruiters will be scrambling for game tape of Jones and discussing whether he should be added to their draft boards after playing a high impact per possession game in which he kicked two goals in 10 minutes and was Western Australia's most damaging around the ground.

Jones broke the lines with his run, used his agility and evasion to avoid would-be tacklers, hit meaningful targets by foot, felt lively and as if he could make something happen whenever the ball hit the ground.

In 22-minute quarters, the dangerous outside runner managed 15 disposals, six inside 50s and two goals. At just 178cm and 60kg, Jones is light and will take time to develop, but the talent and scope to improve is obvious. With hints of Jarman Impey, once developed physically, Jones could prove a similarly damaging player."

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ap-jason-horne-francis-turns-performance-year

Bit happening right now so reckon the club may get over this period before moving on that. Yes soft cap an issue but club recognises list manager important
Glad to hear we are seeing them as 2 positions. From what I’ve seen and observed in AFL and other sports, recruitment decision are best made by the list manager independent from coach or head of recruitment. Heavily influenced by the 2 mentioned but with a suitable check and balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back