List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Not necessarily, he could go anywhere from 8-20 IMO, I feel like our fan base wants MJ solely because he’s from WA at this point.

At 14, he could still be there along with guys like Draper, Goater, Roberts, Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera etc.

This draft is deep and we should capitalise on that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think SPP has shown and hit his ceiling - so he makes it as what he is now.

Agree SPS could be a bust, but he has a much higher ceiling. Can he improve in a new environment though. He has a lot of the tools.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s slow and small and plays his best footy as an inside mid. Even with a good tank that doesn’t bode well. Both are at best role players at the end of the day. This SPP with has skill set that could make a decent role player Imo

Glad we’ve signed up West and especially Jones for another year. One year contracts for both makes sense as does keeping them on the rookie list as it gives us list flexibility at a time when we don’t have a lot

If they’re good enough they’ll get another contract at the end of next year and perhaps an upgrade. Two years for either one would have been an unnecessary over commitment

Not necessarily, he could go anywhere from 8-20 IMO, I feel like our fan base wants MJ solely because he’s from WA at this point.

At 14, he could still be there along with guys like Draper, Goater, Roberts, Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera etc.

This draft is deep and we should capitalise on that

MJ is a pure mid though isn't he?
All the other guys you've mentioned are more hybrid or outside I thought?

Personally, I have a lot of time for those players who make the game look slow, even though they're not quick.
Both Pendles and Mundy have this trait, real footballers if you will.

Plus Hewett looks an amazing talent too.

I feel like SPP has progressively gotten worse the longer he's been in the AFL.

SPS on the other hand there's a couple of small silver linings. His price, that he's out of contract, how he's nominated us, the fact he's played out of position somewhat and there's upside for him to reach his potential properly if given the chance in his hometown with new coaches and a new role.

Powell Pepper was reasonable in his first 2 seasons, but he's dropping off and been found out with fitness, work ethic, and skills for the past 3 seasons, to the point where he's also borderline not in Ports best 22. When was the last time he played pure midfield?

Aaaaaaand then i see the game in round 14 2018 where he had 17 Tackles vs the demons :eyes:

Take me now Sam.

I reckon SPP is carrying too much weight. He doesn't have to be tiny, just slim down a bit so he can get to more contests and play full matches.

I'd be keen for him to join (I've said before he'd play the Mitch Robinson role for us), but it would depend on what Port would be willing to accept.

Personally, I have a lot of time for those players who make the game look slow, even though they're not quick.

Problem is some players are made look slow by the game. We have had a few.

I reckon SPP is carrying too much weight. He doesn't have to be tiny, just slim down a bit so he can get to more contests and play full matches.

This is the conundrum our fitness staff (and probably those at other clubs as well) have been grappling with - the balance between endurance and power/bulk

I think we’ve gone too far down the endurance path at the expense of muscle mass. Means we get pushed off the ball too easily and the running endurance becomes worthless as the opponents bigger bodies wear us down during the course of a game and we get over run anyway

Our players don’t look as powerful/muscular as those at other clubs imo and instead we look lean with some notable exceptions who look sloppy/fat by AFL standards

I have no expertise in this area to back up these thoughts and calling anybody else fat is definite pot/kettle areas but I do genuinely believe we have players that should be bulking up a little over the off season

MJ will play off half back for the start of his AFL career, I wouldn’t say he’s an absolute sure thing as a midfielder, he can go missing at times, he’s not the best contested player either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJ will play off half back for the start of his AFL career, I wouldn’t say he’s an absolute sure thing as a midfielder, he can go missing at times, he’s not the best contested player either

Be interesting to see how this plays out. I haven't seen enough of him to make proper judgement but what I have seen I like, has traits I really like to see in players. Perhaps a good future paring with Sheldrick?

I'd be keen for him to join (I've said before he'd play the Mitch Robinson role for us), but it would depend on what Port would be willing to accept.
Drop 4kgs and he’s still heavier than most big bodied mids. He’s roughly the same size and weight as petracca anwines but has the speed and explosiveness of trac

Be interesting to see how this plays out. I haven't seen enough of him to make proper judgement but what I have seen I like, has traits I really like to see in players. Perhaps a good future paring with Sheldrick?

I’d be more than happy with MJ as our pick mate don’t get me wrong, just feel like I’d rather 2 first round picks even if it means potentially missing out on MJ.

Sheldrick is an inside bull, I expect he won’t go until fairly late in the draft. I’d prefer Browne, Hough and Warner over Sheldrick though.

Eagles forgot about the salary cap for that split second moment that led us all to the SPP gravy train of hope , only to lose it all !!.....
SPS and SPP in the WCE TPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back