List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Jones and West have been re-signed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Both for one year, both remaining on the rookie list.

Glad they didn’t go over the top with West but I wouldn’t have been against Jones getting a bit more security.

Norf have an obligation to the league to bid on both. Just as we did with McDonald and forced their hand. Pretty glad they matched!
Only thing that makes me think otherwise, what if choosing JHF at number 1 is too great a marketing move for them?

Injuries have been the reason he’s sliding mate, was viewed as a top 5 pick before the injuries

He has speed, is an elite line breaker, good foot skills, in general a smart decision maker, he captains Sandringham as well, being a leader is a trait we value highly, I just think Sinn’s skill set is basically what our list lacks, he’d walk into our best 22 fairly quickly

This basically describes Chris Judd, so sign me up!

Although Shaun Atley was hyped up to be exactly this as well (be it more of a HBF) so maybe not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does he have the tank to be a full time mid though. Let’s face it he’ll just be replacing Ah Chee. If he had the tank I’d like to make him a purely defensive mid
Reading about Greg Clarke and I think he another player that can be a defensive mid or in and under. Sounds like a Redden sorta of inside mid that wins a ton of contested footy but not a crash and badh type. Also has a strong endurance base.

So future 3rd from hawks for brander

Our future 2nd + 35 + Hawks F3rd

For Brisbane's 18 + 50 + 54

We delist Cameron without paying him out and let him slip to Brisbane in the rookie draft .

Brisbane don't have room for Cameron on their senior list and this is the only way I can see him getting to Brisbane.

We delist Cameron without paying him out and let him slip to Brisbane in the rookie draft .

Brisbane don't have room for Cameron on their senior list and this is the only way I can see him getting to Brisbane.

I can’t see us getting anything for Brander at this point, seems to be absolutely zero interest, clubs will take him in the PSD or as a DFA, if that’s the case, hopefully he just stays here

I don’t know that we’d want to trade out of next year’s second round, I’ve read somewhere that the club rates that draft class.

Plus that would probably leave us with more picks than we’d need. 10, 18, 29, 50, 52, 54 - even sending one of those in the 50s to Carlton for SPS, we’re probably passing on the other two.

Simmo got flamed for it when he worded it poorly, but with the cuts in the soft cap we don't have the same support structure we have pre-COVID to deal with these problem cases.

At the right price SPP could be a bargain, but between his issues with alcohol and the negative infuences of his friends and family back in WA the juice might not be worth the squeeze here with our current support network.
We do now with no Beagles.

I can’t see us getting anything for Brander at this point, seems to be absolutely zero interest, clubs will take him in the PSD or as a DFA, if that’s the case, hopefully he just stays here

If no one else wants him why should we?? Its not as if there aren’t better midfield options than him and we have still to many tall forwards. We hang on to players for far to long….
Chalk it up as a massive mistake and move on

I don’t know that we’d want to trade out of next year’s second round, I’ve read somewhere that the club rates that draft class.

Plus that would probably leave us with more picks than we’d need. 10, 18, 29, 50, 52, 54 - even sending one of those in the 50s to Carlton for SPS, we’re probably passing on the other two.
I'm sure we could package up 2 50s pick for a 40s pick

I actually find myself wanting SPP too. He's no world beater but we're not really in a position to trade any of those in at the moment. We have a gaping hole in our list with respect to under 25yo mids - at least adding SPS and SPP give us a CHANCE of making a smoother transition than simply relying on the likes of Edwards, West and Trew. SPP at least adds a genuine point of difference with his skill set.

Not sure what gets it done. Next year's first is out of the question while a future second seems to lack incentive for Port to trade him while contracted. The best we can hope is they feel we plummet to the bottom 4 and that pick could be in the early 20's. Doesn't really add up to me though.

Depends on Ports cap position and any players they are chasing.

Port are playing this well.

SPP WA girlfriend due in April also a factor. And his off field issues.

Depends on Ports cap position and any players they are chasing.

Port are playing this well.

SPP WA girlfriend due in April also a factor. And his off field issues.

I don’t think his off field issues have any more weight to them than the ones we already deal with like Liam Ryan, Willy Rioli etc. if he can play good footy which I think he can then he is worth the very small off field risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back