Could we yet lose Tippett???

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how we have Tippett, Walker, Gunston and Mckernan as tall/mid sized forward options. Salvalating stuff. Obviously can't fit them all in...Though love the leading options in gunna and tex and pack marking of Tips and SMACK.

Let`s face it if he goes good luck to him GET what you can

If he stays let him become a RUCKMAN and change with JACOBS
both would be very competative

The side has proved they dont need him (TIPPETT) in the F/HALF
Put some WEIGHT on GUNSTON and HENDERSON with the PORPS fit again
the F/Line could be PORP`S.... WALKER..... GUNSTON and HENDERSON at C/H/F

PS Please whoever our next coach is GET rid of that CLASH away JUMPER
or put a CROW on it

Yeah but I find it interesting that the club is not denying that Tippo has a get out clause in his contract. All they are saying is that they back themselves to sign Tippo beyind the 2012 season.

Maybe she's closer to the mark than we would like to think?
Which should be where it is left. If anyone thinks our CEO would come out and discuss the specifics of a contract they are kidding themselves or are deluded. It'd be nice if Caro stated where she heard this from, otherwise it seems like complete bullshit to me. If the club says Tipp will be here in 2012 and beyond, there is no reason for me to doubt that. It isn't like they have come out and said 'no comment', they have made a pretty strong point of it.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of what this contract says, the end of 2012 was always going to be an interesting time with both Kurtly and Dangerfield coming out of big contracts that we fought tooth and nail to sign.

It will be talked about all next year, just as Walker and Davis has this year.

I'm sick of it already.
It's gonna suck, that's for sure. I guess it highlights that we have some pretty decent talent though...

Has anyone actually given this thought from a Adelaide football club perspective?

At the end of his contract (if Carro is correct) he can request a move a to another club which we would accommodate in the trade period. Now teams like GWS and GC will still have salary cap space to throw decent money to lure star players and it is likely possible that these teams would still sit in the bottom half of the ladder.
By putting this clause in his contract takes away the risk of him going into the PSD and us recieving nothing in return.
So if our trade starting point is at a 2nd round pick, then it can only go up as we won't be bullied into the take it or we get him for nothing tactics.

Which should be where it is left. If anyone thinks our CEO would come out and discuss the specifics of a contract they are kidding themselves or are deluded.
I don't think we're asking for details of player contacts, but I'm concerned as the club isn't denying there's a 'get out' clause as they are calling it or at least some sort of clarification on the issue.

It'd be nice if Caro stated where she heard this from, otherwise it seems like complete bullshit to me.
Agreed, I hate journos that come out with unsubstantiated crap. But I didn't think Caro was that kind if journo, which makes me wonder if there is a certain level of truth in there somewhere.

If the club says Tipp will be here in 2012 and beyond, there is no reason for me to doubt that. It isn't like they have come out and said 'no comment', they have made a pretty strong point of it.
They haven't really said that. They've said he'll be there in 2012 and back themselves to keep him after 2012. If you asked them a couple months ago if they backed themselves to keep Phil Davis they would have said yes.
In saying no comment on players contracts (which i think is how it should be) they sort of are saying no comment, but it's a tough one because on one hand I agree with the no comment on players contracts but I'd also like some sort of indication that the story is incorrect if it is incorrect...

Has anyone actually given this thought from a Adelaide football club perspective?

At the end of his contract (if Carro is correct) he can request a move a to another club which we would accommodate in the trade period. Now teams like GWS and GC will still have salary cap space to throw decent money to lure star players and it is likely possible that these teams would still sit in the bottom half of the ladder.
By putting this clause in his contract takes away the risk of him going into the PSD and us recieving nothing in return.
So if our trade starting point is at a 2nd round pick, then it can only go up as we won't be bullied into the take it or we get him for nothing tactics.

I guess my concern is that apparently the contract stipulates he can go where he wants if they agree to give us a 2nd and/or 3rd round draft pick (which I don't believe would be written into a player contract or whoever agreed to that at the club should be sacked) which means if he he is worth much more than that we won't get what he's worth as the club he wants to go to will know we have no choice but to let him go if they offer up the 2nd/3rd round picks.

I actually don't mind the concept of it but I don't think you can value a player in draft picks 2 years down the track.

Of course an out-clause in a contract must entail the minimum conditions under which a trade would take place, otherwise, what's the point in an out-clause?:confused: If not Adelaide could just say "don't like that trade, sorry" and Tippet's out-clause suddenly doesn't work very well.

Anyway, has Tippet really set the world on fire? He's 24 right? Only really worth a late first rounder at the most IMO, and you'll get an early second and third.

If our midfield delivery was sorted out, chances are he would be doing a hell of a lot better. It's kind of hard to produce your best as a forward when every ball kicked to you is bombed long and high, giving 3 defenders the time needed to mark you up and hang off you while trying to grab it.

Yep - a forward line with Tex and Gunna leading, with Tippett as the bang it long to the goal square guy will be very exciting and difficulut to match up on. What we don't want is to be going to Tippett long 90% of the time. It should be more of a last resort. Tippo in the goal squuare will draw 2-3 defenders, so if we are smart with our structure, should give Tex and Gunna plenty of space to lead out one on one. No-one is going to double team Tex on a lead if Tippett is camped in the goal square, because he is such a good contested mark and is sitting in a very dangerous position. The last 2 weeks have shown how good both Tex and Gunna can be on the lead if the ball is delivered to them properly - if we add in a 200cm marking monster in the goal square and it will be a nightmare forward line for opposition defenders. Being then able to utilise a good crumbing forward type - Wright/Callinan/Milera at Tippetts feet and we'll be looking good.

Otherwise play Tippett further up the ground and leave the forward 50 for Tex and Gunna to work in. In any case, trading him is a ludicrous ides.
Not if you can land a Day and Gorringe.

Did anyone hear the Sam Day rumour Ditts and Roo dropped on Triple M tonight? Thought it would've had its own thread by now.

What did they say about Day?

Man if we manage to get Day into our line up I would do cart-wheels.
He may not have shown it this year, but he is a serious talent and will be one hell of a unit when he fills out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - a forward line with Tex and Gunna leading, with Tippett as the bang it long to the goal square guy will be very exciting and difficulut to match up on. What we don't want is to be going to Tippett long 90% of the time. It should be more of a last resort. Tippo in the goal squuare will draw 2-3 defenders, so if we are smart with our structure, should give Tex and Gunna plenty of space to lead out one on one. No-one is going to double team Tex on a lead if Tippett is camped in the goal square, because he is such a good contested mark and is sitting in a very dangerous position. The last 2 weeks have shown how good both Tex and Gunna can be on the lead if the ball is delivered to them properly - if we add in a 200cm marking monster in the goal square and it will be a nightmare forward line for opposition defenders. Being then able to utilise a good crumbing forward type - Wright/Callinan/Milera at Tippetts feet and we'll be looking good.

Otherwise play Tippett further up the ground and leave the forward 50 for Tex and Gunna to work in. In any case, trading him is a ludicrous ides.

Good post.

When Kurt/Walker/Gun learn how to play with each other, they'll be incredibly good - and Tippett is the key; he'll make the other two better.

You can't defend against Tippett with a single defender (provided we give him even half decent delivery), he'll win more contests than he loses in that case.

Which means he has to be double teamed (at the moment he's frequently triple teamed) - so that's generally the opposition best defender on him, as well as another tall or Bassett type.

That means Walker/Gun don't have to worry about the best defender, and probably worry less about their zoning defender as well - and I'd back them to beat their man 1v1 pretty consistently as well. Walker also needs to lead away from Tippett ;)

We just need to be a bit patient guys - Tippett has shown us loyalty and deserves the same in respect; he's had one bad year which has been negatively impacted by injury and the fact we've been completely shithouse.

Put him in a decent team and he'll comfortably kick 60 goals plus a year - your next best forward will kick more as well, and if you have a decent crumber, he'll profit as well.

The guy is a huge key for us.

As for all the stuff about how well we've played without him - we've played two shithouse teams; and did you guys watch the game on the weekend?

We dominated, had a huge amount of I50s (especially in the third quarter I think?) and struggled to score from the bulk of them.

I agree, Tex, Tippett and Gunna can all play in the same forward line, however I would go with a slightly different set up

I would play Tippett at CHF, Walker at FF and Gunna as a roaming forward....

IMO Tippett at CHF is important for the following reasons
1. He will straighten up our structure and game plan
2. The high HF's will have a strong contest to work off
3. He will create space behind him for Tex and Gunna to lead in too

I think people have underrated Tippett due to our woeful midfield. Fact is, he's a super forward and a massive asset to have. He kicked over 50 goals in his second playing season - a season in which he shared the forward line with Walker most of the time. No coincidence that our midfield was actually up and running at the time.

50 goal forwards don't grow on trees. They just don't. People blaming him for the rest of the team bombing it onto his head are way off the mark. The problem rests solely with the players who can't lift their eyes long enough to notice we have other forwards. If we can hit up Walker on a lead without Tippett in the side, we can do the same thing with Tippett sitting in the goalsquare, or leading in the opposite direction, drawing the opposition's best defender away from the contest.

Then, when all options dry up, a bomb to Tippett becomes a viable alternative strategy, rather than our primary strategy.

He's a massive, massive asset. We must keep him.

No, Please share

Ditts or Roo (can't remember which), was saying they have mail the Crows might consider a straight swap, Tippett for Day, at the end of this season, to avoid the merry-go-round that could occur when Tip comes out of contract next year.

Apparently the Crows have Day as a potential top 10 player in the comp and are pretty keen to get him home.

Ditts or Roo (can't remember which), was saying they have mail the Crows might consider a straight swap, Tippett for Day, at the end of this season, to avoid the merry-go-round that could occur when Tip comes out of contract next year.

Apparently the Crows have Day as a potential top 10 player in the comp and are pretty keen to get him home.

IF this is true i can't imagine Gold Coast would consider a straight swap. They'd be wanting something more than just Tippet. Tippett and our first round draft pick would probably be in the vicinity of what they'd be willing to accept I reckon. He is very highly rated. In fact if we get a first round compo pick for Davis, they may prefer that so they can use it in the next draft...

Dunno, maybe i'm overrating him?

IF this is true i can't imagine Gold Coast would consider a straight swap. They'd be wanting something more than just Tippet. Tippett and our first round draft pick would probably be in the vicinity of what they'd be willing to accept I reckon. He is very highly rated. In fact if we get a first round compo pick for Davis, they may prefer that so they can use it in the next draft...

It sounds like you're on the money..... Obviously it was spoken about in the context of a swap because they are the two players involved, but I'm sure the eventual trade would be more complex.

I cant imagine us trading a gun forward, with time invested, runs on the board (as far as goals are conserned) who happens to be our highest paid player and our first rounder for a possible gun.

I think everyone is missing the biggest issues...

Firstly, IF the AFC signed off on the deal that has been reported, whoever was responsible should be given the flick... Immediately... Surely no one is that short sighted

Secondly, IF the contract is correct and we will only get a 2nd round pick from Gold Coast at the end of 2012 for Tippett, why would they rush this year and give us Sam Day when they can hold off and make us honour the agreement in Kurts contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we yet lose Tippett???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back