Could we yet lose Tippett???

Remove this Banner Ad

But so are 50% of AFL players??? And unless Day is begging to go home, which I very much doubt, they aren't going to have an issue keeping him and getting Tippett for budgie feed

Yeah well I think that's we'd be banking on, the go home factor.

It's worked against us, so why shouldnt it work for us. It's a reasonable assumption.

Yeah well I think that's we'd be banking on, the go home factor.

It's worked against us, so why shouldnt it work for us. It's a reasonable assumption.

How many guns want to come home?

Do you honestly think Gold Coast would let him go?

How many kids would want to leave the Gold Coast and come back and live in Adelaide?

We are grasping at straws, big time....

How many guns want to come home?

Do you honestly think Gold Coast would let him go?

How many kids would want to leave the Gold Coast and come back and live in Adelaide?

We are grasping at straws, big time....

If he wanted to come home, he was out of contract and port finished bottom of the ladder again then they'd be openning their ears for a decent trade.
Anyway, I agree it's highly unlikley to happen, but there's no harm in speculating how it could happen if it was going to.

I just can not believe anyone could be so stupid as to sign off on that contract. It can not be true.

Trigg does not need to tell us what is in that contract. But he must come out and say that we never agreed to swapping our higest paid player in the prime of his career for a an agreed draft pick....

That is the issue, the Sam Day talk is just crap...

I think people overrate Tippett in terms of what he offers to our structure. He's nothing resembling natural, so his leads (on the rare occasion he provides one) are often to awkward positions, or disruptive to the work of other players. He's not a particularly good converter either. He has a good tank, and is exceptionally strong. Great height. He's fine as a change-up option in the square, but I feel we need to change our thinking with him if he's to be used to greatest effect. Push him up towards the flank, with stints in the ruck. Sit him in the square all game and he draws excessive convergence; chuck him there for a quarter and he probably kicks a few. It's the same dilemma we faced a few years ago when he first emerged, but Walker is the better option at the goal mouth if we want 6 pointers and lots of them.

I just can not believe anyone could be so stupid as to sign off on that contract. It can not be true.

no argument from there

Trigg does not need to tell us what is in that contract. But he must come out and say that we never agreed to swapping our higest paid player in the prime of his career for a an agreed draft pick....

Agree with that too

Not crap, just wishful thinking.

I think everyone is missing the biggest issues...

Firstly, IF the AFC signed off on the deal that has been reported, whoever was responsible should be given the flick... Immediately... Surely no one is that short sighted

This is the big one for me. Whoever agreed to this must be sacked.

Damn right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely he wasn't the only one responsible.

John Reid? Wasnt he the one credited for getting the deal done?

Sorry, it was more tongue in cheek than anything else. I don't who would have done the deal, yes I think it would have been more than one person and it's unlikely Neil would have had much to do with it i would have thought.

Ditts or Roo (can't remember which), was saying they have mail the Crows might consider a straight swap, Tippett for Day, at the end of this season, to avoid the merry-go-round that could occur when Tip comes out of contract next year.

Apparently the Crows have Day as a potential top 10 player in the comp and are pretty keen to get him home.
The Crows have ALWAYS rated Day as THE prospect of the draft. Matt Rendell has said that once the kid puts it all together he is a more athletic Wayne Carey.

I don't think there would be anyone on our list that we wouldn't trade for Day provided the kid reaches his potential. Having said that, there is always a risk of the kid not reaching it and there is the fact that his knee is keeping him out for the rest of this year.

This is the big one for me. Whoever agreed to this must be sacked.
John Reid is not longer at the club and if the reported clause is true, I expect Steven Trigg handing in his resignation immediately as he was also involved in the process....its a seriously stupid clause to have hence why I have doubts about its existence BUT if it true then we must have been SERIOUSLY blinded in believing that our culture is SO awesome that no one would want to leave so the clause might have been irrelevant from our point of view.

If this is the case then our belief in our "awesomeness" is reaching disturbing cult type levels.

IF this is true i can't imagine Gold Coast would consider a straight swap. They'd be wanting something more than just Tippet. Tippett and our first round draft pick would probably be in the vicinity of what they'd be willing to accept I reckon. He is very highly rated. In fact if we get a first round compo pick for Davis, they may prefer that so they can use it in the next draft...

Dunno, maybe i'm overrating him?

Wait - so you're suggesting Davis and Tippett - two proven, young key position players, for Day, who as of today has proven nothing and has a knee injury to boot?

I would hope Day and something else for Tippett. 200cm 50 goal a year key forward and ruck?

Wait - so you're suggesting Davis and Tippett - two proven, young key position players, for Day, who as of today has proven nothing and has a knee injury to boot?

I would hope Day and something else for Tippett. 200cm 50 goal a year key forward and ruck?

Nope, I'm suggesting the inadquate compensation draft pick we'll get for Davis + Tippet would be what Gold Coast would want for a player that highly rated.

John Reid is not longer at the club and if the reported clause is true, I expect Steven Trigg handing in his resignation immediately as he was also involved in the process....its a seriously stupid clause to have hence why I have doubts about its existence BUT if it true then we must have been SERIOUSLY blinded in believing that our culture is SO awesome that no one would want to leave so the clause might have been irrelevant from our point of view.

If this is the case then our belief in our "awesomeness" is reaching disturbing cult type levels.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. But then I may be biased I think Trigg's done a poor job for a few years now.

If we suggested that, Gold Coast would get up and walk out of the room laughing at us.

Nope, I'm suggesting the inadquate compensation draft pick we'll get for Davis + Tippet would be what Gold Coast would want for a player that highly rated.

But you do understand the difference between highly rated and ACTUALLY having done something? How does he go from being a first round pick to being worth two first round picks inside a year, a year in which he did nothing?

If we suggested that, Gold Coast would get up and walk out of the room laughing at us.

Christ, I wish people on this board would realize that not every spotty young kid amounts to something. Day is a prospect that has proven nothing. Tippett has tangibly shown an enormous amount more. If we traded for Day, it would be US taking the gamble. Which I'd support, because we need to roll the dice, but he could be Luke Molan. He hasn't actually played that many good games at ANY level. He's mostly been considered an athletic freak - just like Tippett, except he hasn't actually proven anything yet.

But you do understand the difference between highly rated and ACTUALLY having done something? How does he go from being a first round pick to being worth two first round picks inside a year, a year in which he did nothing?

Where did I say he's worth 2 first round draft picks? A player soon to be out of contract that wants to go home (and possibly has a crappy get out clause in his contract) and a first round draft pick does not equal 2 first round draft picks from where I sit.

If you go back and actually read my posts in this thread I have never actually said anywhere that this is what I think Sam Day is worth. I'm speculating what I think Gold Coast thinks he's worth and what they'll be asking as opposed to the straight swap between tippet and Day that was suggested earlier in the thread.

Christ, I wish people on this board would realize that not every spotty young kid amounts to something. Day is a prospect that has proven nothing. Tippett has tangibly shown an enormous amount more. If we traded for Day, it would be US taking the gamble. Which I'd support, because we need to roll the dice, but he could be Luke Molan. He hasn't actually played that many good games at ANY level. He's mostly been considered an athletic freak - just like Tippett, except he hasn't actually proven anything yet.

Settle down sport.

Nowhere have I said that I think Sam day is worth that much. It's purely been about what I think Gold Coast will think he's worth as an 18 year old athletic freak growing up playing football (albeit amongst other sports as well) taken at pick 3 as opposed to a 24 year old freak who was a late converter from basketball taken at pick 32. I guess it has a lot to do with where they are in there development as a club and when they think their premiership window is as to what players they believe hold more value to them.

I personally don't think tippet plus our first round pick is fair trade for us but like I said what I've been saying is what I think gold coast will want (especially if the whole get out clause is true).

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we yet lose Tippett???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back