Remove this Banner Ad

Memories

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/cuz-cuts-port-ties-53114

Former West Coast captain Ben Cousins has pulled the pin on his comeback with VFL team Port Melbourne, instead deciding to train with WAFL side East Fremantle for the remainder of the year.Cousins' manager Ricky Nixon revealed in a statement on Friday that the 2005 Brownlow Medallist does not intend to play competitive football this season but will continue to train in a bid to resurrect his stellar AFL career next season.

As I've told you guys before, we will be getting cousins provided he puts his hand up. I seriously doubt the west tank eagles will consider him, and he doesn't like them anymore regardless.

We will have a ripper 2009 after we get him, Rich and Robinson combined with Hase and Headland back.

I'm afraid I can't see the positives here. Yes, Cousins was a talented player and one can only assume he still is. But the guy is 30. He will probably only have 2 more years of his best football left in him.

If I was O'Brien, Foster, Hinkley or one of our new draftees next year I would be really disappointed if Freo got him. He'll take their spot in the team, and in the end set our development back. Realistically, Cousins isn't going to be the difference between a premiership or not. I would imagine we would be challenging for a flag in about 3 years, right when Cousins would retire.

I'm afraid I can't see the positives here. Yes, Cousins was a talented player and one can only assume he still is. But the guy is 30. He will probably only have 2 more years of his best football left in him.

If I was O'Brien, Foster, Hinkley or one of our new draftees next year I would be really disappointed if Freo got him. He'll take their spot in the team, and in the end set our development back. Realistically, Cousins isn't going to be the difference between a premiership or not. I would imagine we would be challenging for a flag in about 3 years, right when Cousins would retire.

Well for a start I think probably 2 of those 3 won't be players that great anyhow. You act like all it takes to be a great player is to throw games into a player.... that is a bit naive.

Cousins is/was great. I also think that we can have a go at the flag next year, provided we pick up the right players in the draft. As such getting him will be important.

How can you think we can't have a challenge next year when we have taken all top 3 teams to the limit in games this season with a shit list beyond our top 10. Regardless of how people want to feel about freo, our top 8 players are among the best in the league. If we add a few more to that 8 (Cousins, Rich/Hartlett, Robinson) and get a bit more depth in the draft we will be set to have a good crack next year.

Well for a start I think probably 2 of those 3 won't be players that are that great anyhow. You act like all it takes to be a great player is to throw games into a player.... that is a bit naive.

Cousins is/was great. I also think that we can have a go at the flag next year, provided we pick up the right players in the draft. As such getting him will be important.

How can you think we can't have a challenge next year when we have taken all top 3 teams to the limit in games this season with a shit list. Regardless of how people want to feel about freo, our top 8 players are among the best in the league. If we add a few more to that 8 (Cousins, Rich/Hartlett, Robinson) and get a bit more depth in the draft we will be set to have a good crack next year.
Maybe because we are 14th lol.... yes we got within 1 point at subi to Geelong...Did you happen to catch the game 2 weeks ago at Skilled Stadium. Not too sure but i believe we were smashed.

We also got beaten by sides out of the 8 so im not sure how getting close to 3 top sides makes you think we will challenge for the cup next year just because Cousins comes on board... mate be realistic

Maybe because we are 14th lol.... yes we got within 1 point at subi to Geelong...Did you happen to catch the game 2 weeks ago at Skilled Stadium. Not too sure but i believe we were smashed.

We also got beaten by sides out of the 8 so im not sure how getting close to 3 top sides makes you think we will challenge for the cup next year just because Cousins comes on board... mate be realistic

Sorry, the bulldogs got thrashed by almost as much as we did, and they are #2 on the ladder mate, they also didn't have ablet playing for half the game like we did. It is their home ground, we also just recently lost MORE players like Bell compared to the first game.

Our top 8-10 players would be sitting somewhere in the top 4 of the AFL in regards to how good they are. We have arguably the best player in Pavlich, and you guys think we have no hope. It is laughable.

If you realized how BAD our list management was beyond that top 10 you would why we are doing so bad right now. None of those top 8 are leaving freo next year, and we are only going to get 2-4 players who will likely be in that category of players. Combined with fixing our DEPTH issues, getting Hase/Headland back.... we are going to be a team to be reckoned with. Mark my words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said that by just playing they would become great players. But, if they don't get a game then how do they have a chance?

OK, I'll admit that we could make the finals next year if we play our best. But honestly, for the next couple of years I see it being Geelong, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I just can't see Cousins and a couple of first year players being the difference between us and them.

If Fremantle do sign Ben Cousins I will back the club all the way, I doubt I would cheer for Cousins though (not because he was an Eagle or for his problems, I just don't like what I've seen of him as a person). But it's just my opinion that he wont have that much of an impact.

The bloke is a human circus we can't afford to take on. Have we not learnt the Croad/Tarrant lesson yet?

No point comparing it to those problems, you know why?

1) We are getting rid of 8-10 players this year. We need to find quality players. Ben is one
2) We won't be wasting anything worthwhile getting him. A pick in the PSD or a late pick in the ND is nothing to us

Yeah - he's going to be ****ing brilliant after what will add up to nearly a year and a half with what will amount to NO competitive football.

The bloke is a human circus we can't afford to take on. Have we not learnt the Croad/Tarrant lesson yet?

B. I. N. G. O.

who needs him? he is oldish, has a poor track record off the field and will be taking a spot from one of our youngsters.

Sorry, the bulldogs got thrashed by almost as much as we did, and they are #2 on the ladder mate, they also didn't have ablet playing for half the game like we did. It is their home ground, we also just recently lost MORE players like Bell compared to the first game.

Our top 8-10 players would be sitting somewhere in the top 4 of the AFL in regards to how good they are. We have arguably the best player in Pavlich, and you guys think we have no hope. It is laughable.

If you realized how BAD our list management was beyond that top 10 you would why we are doing so bad right now. None of those top 8 are leaving freo next year, and we are only going to get 2-4 players who will likely be in that category of players. Combined with fixing our DEPTH issues, getting Hase/Headland back.... we are going to be a team to be reckoned with. Mark my words.
We will not challenge for the flag in 2009. Maybe top 8 but realistically we are still a long way off the top 2 or 3 sides. It is laughable how unrealistic you are. Cousins will not help us get there any quicker.

I never said that by just playing they would become great players. But, if they don't get a game then how do they have a chance?

They will still get a chance if they are worthy. This is all about depth. Usually you have one midfielder who may struggle, these players are ones who push into the side when such occurs. Atm we have no depth. Worst case Cousins has turned into a crab and these guys play games. Best case he performs up to his great standard and helps take the load off the othem mids as we make the GF.

OK, I'll admit that we could make the finals next year if we play our best. But honestly, for the next couple of years I see it being Geelong, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I just can't see Cousins and a couple of first year players being the difference between us and them.

We can easily make the top 4 next year. That said we may be easily beaten by Geelong if they continue on their merry way as they are a very powerful team. The others aren't. And I don't mind if we get pumped making it to the GF, making it to the GF is better than coming 9th next year. If we make it to the GF we are a chance, and that's all we can ask.

If Fremantle do sign Ben Cousins I will back the club all the way, I doubt I would cheer for Cousins though (not because he was an Eagle or for his problems, I just don't like what I've seen of him as a person). But it's just my opinion that he wont have that much of an impact.

Good to hear that you will support the decision when it is made. I think it is only a matter of when, not if.

We will not challenge for the flag in 2009. Maybe top 8 but realistically we are still a long way off the top 2 or 3 sides. It is laughable how unrealistic you are. Cousins will not help us get there any quicker.

You will see next year, as I am pretty sure most of what I have laid out in my posts will actually come to fruition. So yes, I will remember this, like all the others who have said similar things and show you how wrong you are in 12 months.

No point comparing it to those problems, you know why?

1) We are getting rid of 8-10 players this year. We need to find quality players. Ben is one
\

No, Ben WAS one.

It's three years since he was at the peak of his game. I asked you this in the last thread you brought up this ludicrous idea and you dodged the question, so I'll ask you again;

Exactly how many players have made successful AFL comebacks after deliberately isolating themselves from all things football for more than a year?

We won't be wasting anything worthwhile getting him. A pick in the PSD or a late pick in the ND is nothing to us

Yeah - only a list spot on an overpaid, washed up junkie who'll more than likely prove to be as useful as Jarrad Schofield.

I am a former WCE member and supporter who quit my membership of the club in response to their handling of the Benny Cousins matter.

Benny is a beautiful person who deserves our full support.

If Fremantle were to sign Cousins, I for one would very proudly wear a Fremantle Jersey with his name on the back at the Games. I think that Fremantle would make a huge amount of revenue out of merchandizing for Ben Cousins. I am not alone when it comes to West Coast Supporters who have jumped ship in response to their horrible treatment of Benny.

Go Benny Go.

I am a former WCE member and supporter who quit my membership of the club in response to their handling of the Benny Cousins matter.

Benny is a beautiful person who deserves our full support.

If Fremantle were to sign Cousins, I for one would very proudly wear a Fremantle Jersey with his name on the back at the Games. I think that Fremantle would make a huge amount of revenue out of merchandizing for Ben Cousins. I am not alone when it comes to West Coast Supporters who have jumped ship in response to their horrible treatment of Benny.

Go Benny Go.

:eek:

hoogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back