Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where the distrust come in sorry.

Gut feel, no hidden agenda.

I respect that, no need to apologise.

For me, despite the obvious issues that may come with government and politicians, there are some government institutions like the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australian Electoral Commission and CSIRO (their fad diet aside) which I can wholly trust to be independent, impartial and doing the best they can. I'd hate for us to go down the road of the US where the conservative side of politics has demonised Dr Fauci, for example, a public servant who has decades of experience with disease but they did not like his scientific advice.

Australian Electoral Commission
Not to open a can of worms, but the AEC did recently OK the Chinese language signs displayed by the Liberal party using the AEC's colour scheme, as well as doing nothing about the other breaches of electoral advertising regulations in the same election.

I trust the AEC to determine the result, but recent events case doubt on their ability to moderate (host? control?) a fair election.

Not to open a can of worms, but the AEC did recently OK the Chinese language signs displayed by the Liberal party using the AEC's colour scheme, as well as doing nothing about the other breaches of electoral advertising regulations in the same election.

I trust the AEC to determine the result, but recent events case doubt on their ability to moderate (host? control?) a fair election.

I do agree the signs were probably over the top and should have been dealt with on the day a lot sooner, but their key argument that it should not void the result for an entire electorate is sound.

I remember following that case and also being a bit baffled by the AEC's argument, I suspect the practicality of having to run another election because some voters may have been misled took precedence. Good luck proving how many voters switched their vote because of the purple signs.

Anyway, probably getting off topic...the AEC is a fine institution especially compared to similar organisations around the world.

I do agree the signs were probably over the top and should have been dealt with on the day a lot sooner, but their key argument that it should not void the result for an entire electorate is sound.

I remember following that case and also being a bit baffled by the AEC's argument, I suspect the practicality of having to run another election because some voters may have been misled took precedence. Good luck proving how many voters switched their vote because of the purple signs.

Anyway, probably getting off topic...the AEC is a fine institution especially compared to similar organisations around the world.
And on a related note, the US system held up really well in spite of incredible duress a year ago.

I respect that, no need to apologise.

For me, despite the obvious issues that may come with government and politicians, there are some government institutions like the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australian Electoral Commission and CSIRO (their fad diet aside) which I can wholly trust to be independent, impartial and doing the best they can. I'd hate for us to go down the road of the US where the conservative side of politics has demonised Dr Fauci, for example, a public servant who has decades of experience with disease but they did not like his scientific advice.
The TGA can be doing the best they can in good faith and still get it badly wrong. They don't know the long-term effects of these vaccines for kids, because no-one does. They can say they are safe as often as they like, but it's still an educated guess based on currently available data.

The TGA can be doing the best they can in good faith and still get it badly wrong. They don't know the long-term effects of these vaccines for kids, because no-one does. They can say they are safe as often as they like, but it's still an educated guess based on currently available data.

Of course they can get it wrong - they aren't psychic.

Saying you don't know what the Pfizer shot will do in 10 years however is not a sufficient justification for vaccine hesitancy - if we followed that logic, then theoretically no COVID vaccines should be made available for a few more years, and that is untenable for humanity. The TGA are far better equipped than you or I or Joe Rogan to make that educated guess.

No matter the argument from either side my sadness stems from the human interaction regarding it.

It’s changed forever.

I hate the world at the moment.

I think the thing that's changed is that social media has given a platform for the more extreme left and right opinions (and not in anyway saying that MrKK is in this category) to be out in the public where it's harder to ignore. I think it draws more moderate people into arguments that they wouldn't normally participate in because in the past they wouldn't have even been exposed to the extremeness.

Yep, and that will happen organically.

How many people do you think are going to roll up for tests on 22nd-24th December this year (outside of those who are 100% sure they are negative, but want a day off work!).

Recent history (at least here in Victoria) is that most people get a test with a sniffle, cold, cough etc. When everything is 'open' or 'back to normal' - if you don't want 2 weeks quarantine again (and you are fully vaxxed, knowing that IF you get covid it is much more likely to be mild) then it is likely you won't get tested.
So if your double vaxxed you can just not get tested and spread it around ?

That's pretty ****ed

This makes sense (apart from anything else, unvaccinated people probably won’t be able to get out of the state to begin with because no one will let them in), but I’m sure it’ll be played up as inhumane and draconian.

This makes sense (apart from anything else, unvaccinated people probably won’t be able to get out of the state to begin with because no one will let them in), but I’m sure it’ll be played up as inhumane and draconian.

West Australians are poised to find out when the state’s hard border will drop in the next week, with Mr McGowan indicating an announcement would come Friday after national cabinet at the earliest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, I also think it is laughable when people think the government would implement the mandate without ensuring it's been looked over by lawyers. One funny comment I heard was "Now he mandated it I can sue Magowan if something goes wrong"...Good luck with that

What's going to be interesting and something I haven't read of yet is afl policy with positive cases. As now we will be open more cases are sure to come in the AFL. Would think a policy like in the NFL would be in place. The player sits out the team plays on, might be an issue for Eagles and Dockers with flying. Hopefully the AFL is providing private planes to reduce that risk.

Interesting times ahead.

Nah…. Thats just him swinging his small piece around to prove he can have the toughest measures in place in Australia…

Inhumane and draconian is this trash

I take it seeing though your more interested in what Im doing that you all tacitly approve of what has happened to that family plus many others….

I take it seeing though your more interested in what Im doing that you all tacitly approve of what has happened to that family plus many others….

Yes, because it's the reason for your aggression on the matter.

We (as in the majority of us in Western Australia) have been pretty content with the government and lifestyle since COVID began. Could be better, sure - but could be a hell of a lot worse. There's a reason why the biggest landslide in modern Australian electoral history happened in March in WA.

No one wants to separate grieving parents from their child, no one - but you're using it as a weapon as part of your daily broad scale attack on everything associated with the Premier and his government. Everyone sees through you on that one, mate. Pretty piss poor.

Absolutely, I also think it is laughable when people think the government would implement the mandate without ensuring it's been looked over by lawyers. One funny comment I heard was "Now he mandated it I can sue Magowan if something goes wrong"...Good luck with that

What's going to be interesting and something I haven't read of yet is afl policy with positive cases. As now we will be open more cases are sure to come in the AFL. Would think a policy like in the NFL would be in place. The player sits out the team plays on, might be an issue for Eagles and Dockers with flying. Hopefully the AFL is providing private planes to reduce that risk.

Interesting times ahead.
Employers and businesses are mandating vax for employees and visitors, not so much governments. They were generally smart enough to know they didnt have to.
go crazy

Employers and businesses are mandating vax for employees and visitors, not so much governments. They were generally smart enough to know they didnt have to.
go crazy

Good lord, if you’re not posting stuff that’s outright wrong, you’re not posting.

Every State government has mandated vaccinations to work in particular industries and/or attend particular businesses:

New South Wales: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/vaccination/requirements-for-workers

Victoria: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/information-workers-required-be-vaccinated

Queensland:https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condi...-social-measures-linked-to-vaccination-status

SA: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/emergency-declarations

Etc

Good lord, if you’re not posting stuff that’s outright wrong, you’re not posting.

Every State government has mandated vaccinations to work in particular industries and/or attend particular businesses:

New South Wales: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/vaccination/requirements-for-workers

Victoria: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/information-workers-required-be-vaccinated

Queensland:https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condi...-social-measures-linked-to-vaccination-status

SA: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/emergency-declarations

Etc
yeah i was just about to retort with a similar line... I work for WA state gov and there is pretty much a blanket requirement to get the jab regardless of your actual position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back