Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw him play yesterday. I thought he had a quiet game but didn't really do anything wrong. Was moved around the ground a fair bit playing forward, back and in ruck. Ball wasn't played much in his direction and goals tended to be kicked from further out due to the windy conditions. I was impressed by his second efforts in the ruck. There was a few times he went in hard on the ground and won the ball for teammates.

Did he spend alot of time in ruck I notice (the notoriously innacurate) Sunday Mail ruck stats credited him with 20 hit outs and 11 touches.

I also note for West Lobbe had 7 touches and 10 hit outs yet made their best players:eek:

It's fairly common people are one sided with hands and the other with feet. It's great for getting out of sticky situations too, you'll always be on your dominant side for some sort of disposal.

macca, you are a mind reader!

I'm watching the game right now and I couldn't help but noticing that he handballs left-handed, very unusual!

I absolutely love the look of him as a player. So poised, always has time, very balanced, pretty much everything you just mentioned. The only thing I question is his pace, but when you read the play as well as he does and have so much time it becomes less of an issue. He is like a smoother, taller version of Andy Otten. I'd love to see him move forward to see whether he's got the capabilities of playing there.

I honestly would’ve been happy if he played a handful of league games this year and yet here he is playing a key defensive post in one of the best teams in the league. He is 18 and yet is comfortably holding his own at league level and getting better with every passing week. I think we've got a gem.

Drum I don't think he is slow - he always seems to be with his opponent and never caught behind the play or not getting to a contest - although he doesn't look quick I think he must take in a lot of territory with each long stride. Perhaps someone who has seen him in sprints at practice could set us straight?

Also, I think you'll find that he's either the third tall or genuinely playing HBF. Gill took the CHB post, so he's probably getting the third best forward each week, but still.....he's impressive!

Must add my agreement about Davis. He will be a beauty.I've seen him a few times this year and he has all the skills and is beautifully balanced and poised. Great mark, and can he kick! Kicks long and well to position or to a leading player. We will have a seriously good side soon, with or without Tippett.

How many 18 year olds, holding down a key position playing against men, look as composed as this kid does. Three things that I reckon you look for to determine whether a young player is going to be good are - courage, disposal and compsure. You rarely see all these traits in young talls, especially of the 18 year old variety. davis has them all.

Have always taken a special interest in our young talls. Davis would be up there with Walker/Rehn/Maric in the category of most promising young talls I have seen at the crows.

Fine ill say what I truely beleive as well. I think (and RoosterLad can correct me if he wishes) Davis is the best player to come out of North Adelaide since Wayne Carey (and I do know Hart falls in that time period)

Did he spend alot of time in ruck I notice (the notoriously innacurate) Sunday Mail ruck stats credited him with 20 hit outs and 11 touches.

I also note for West Lobbe had 7 touches and 10 hit outs yet made their best players:eek:
What an absolute joke. :rolleyes:

Last week, when he put in the worst display in the ruck I think I’ve ever seen, he had an entire article devoted to him and they said he showed so much promise. I’m not going overboard, his ruckwork was that bad. He had no idea how to time his leaps, barely gets off the ground, and what’s worse is his complete lack of physicality. For instance in one contest the opposition ruckman was away from the stoppage so it was Lobbe against an 180cm midfielder. Guess who won. That’s right, the midfielder. He actually out-bodied Lobbe and won the tap. :eek: He's a poor man's Moran.

Fine ill say what I truely beleive as well. I think (and RoosterLad can correct me if he wishes) Davis is the best player to come out of North Adelaide since Wayne Carey (and I do know Hart falls in that time period)
Seriously, as promising as he is, can we please keep the massive calls to a minimum?

If he turns out better than Darren Jarman, then I will be very satisfied. A big call nonetheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you please elaborate and give examples of how the accuracy of these stats are measured?

What an absolute joke. :rolleyes:

Last week, when he put in the worst display in the ruck I think I’ve ever seen, he had an entire article devoted to him and they said he showed so much promise. I’m not going overboard, his ruckwork was that bad. He had no idea how to time his leaps, barely gets off the ground, and what’s worse is his complete lack of physicality. For instance in one contest the opposition ruckman was away from the stoppage so it was Lobbe against an 180cm midfielder. Guess who won. That’s right, the midfielder. He actually out-bodied Lobbe and won the tap. :eek: He's a poor man's Moran.

It's pretty easy to make judgments sitting at home watching the ABC replay. :eek: Ackland has 10+ years experience (and the body to show) in the AFL system. Yes, Lobbe struggled against him but competed very well against Daniel Stewart. Lobbe's effort at stoppages was reasonable also. He laid some good, strong tackles. He is still young and has had an interrupted start to his career with injury and team circumstances. Do you take match practice, confidence, team systems into account when passing judgement?

Do you actually take pleasure in player assassination? Richard Douglas, Jarrhan Jacky, Brad Moran to name just a few. What makes me laugh is that you write these guys off, yet in the past have shamelessly pumped up the tires of Bryce Campbell, Darren Pfeiffer and John Meesen. Poll 100 football people and ask them to select which trio they would take and 95%+ would take the current Adelaide trio.

Ever thought that maybe you don't have a really good eye for identifying talent? Maybe you should be 'delisted' or labelled a 'hack' given your past record of player appraisal.

Open criticism of personal ability on a public forum doesn't feel good huh? Maybe it's just a small taste of what a player may experience when he may disasterously fall upon the content of this forum.

Oh and GO PENGUINS!!! :D

SMACK has strung together an excellent 3 months of footy.

It's time...

Tell you what, I saw SMACK at the footy today, he looked like a twig (especially standing next to Sellar) i'd be worried he would be broken if he played AFL.

I agree. No need to make ridiculous calls already considering he's only played a few League games.

come on, people on this board write some players off after that long.

It's pretty easy to make judgments sitting at home watching the ABC replay. :eek: Ackland has 10+ years experience (and the body to show) in the AFL system. Yes, Lobbe struggled against him but competed very well against Daniel Stewart. Lobbe's effort at stoppages was reasonable also. He laid some good, strong tackles. He is still young and has had an interrupted start to his career with injury and team circumstances. Do you take match practice, confidence, team systems into account when passing judgement?

Do you actually take pleasure in player assassination? Richard Douglas, Jarrhan Jacky, Brad Moran to name just a few. What makes me laugh is that you write these guys off, yet in the past have shamelessly pumped up the tires of Bryce Campbell, Darren Pfeiffer and John Meesen. Poll 100 football people and ask them to select which trio they would take and 95%+ would take the current Adelaide trio.

Ever thought that maybe you don't have a really good eye for identifying talent? Maybe you should be 'delisted' or labelled a 'hack' given your past record of player appraisal.

Open criticism of personal ability on a public forum doesn't feel good huh? Maybe it's just a small taste of what a player may experience when he may disasterously fall upon the content of this forum.
I know you've got this thing for Lobbe and want to see him develop into a gun, I've seen your posts on the Power board. :eek:

I see someone who is a heck of a long way off. If he does make it it'll be a while from now.

I know you've got this thing for Lobbe and want to see him develop into a gun, I've seen your posts on the Power board. :eek:

I see someone who is a heck of a long way off. If he does make it it'll be a while from now.

I agree, it will be some time. But he has just broken into SANFL league and is still young so I wouldn't judge his ability on one performance.

As for the 'thing', you should try posting some positive material, especially if there is no vested interest.

Can you get me some red and blue glasses? :thumbsu:

This upcoming round of SANFL (round 12) is going to be fascinating for a number of reasons. Firstly the Crows and Port have the week off, so there will be quite a few fringe players/players returning from injury trying to impress the selectors. Secondly, it is rivalry round, and there are some ripper games scheduled (top 4 sides play each other). Last year, they got some terrific crowds for this round seeing as the two AFL sides weren't playing.

I would have thought he spent less than 50% of time in the ruck, but I couldn't say for sure.

I never post, but love to read all the opinions. It is great to see so many with so much passion.

Cast your minds back, those who were around then, to Trucks first year of SANFL. I saw (for one reason or another) at least eight of those matches, and as a nineteen year old he was the right size, showed strength, was steady, a good natural leader, and had potential. He became an All-Australian key position player.

Davis is every bit as good as Truck at this stage of his development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back