Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2019 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
after seeing the SA/WA trials i was thinking of updating my top 40 to a top 50

things will change after the championships, i need to see more of the interstaters from WA/SA still and to see how they play against each other, but atm im happy with this list as it is.

TOP 50
1. Matt Rowell
2. Noah Anderson
3. Will Gould
4. Tom Green GWS A
5. Jeremy Sharp
6. Lachlan Ash
7. Dylan Williams
8. Charlie Dean
9. Caleb Serong
10. Dylan Stephens
11. Brodie Kemp
12. Mitch O'Neill
13. Sam Flanders
14. Thomson Dow
15. Kysaiah Pickett
16. Hayden Young
17. Jack Mahony
18. Trent Bianco
19. Ryan Byrnes
20. Flynn Perez - ACL
21. Trent Rivers
22. Chad Warner
23. Mitch Martin
24. Ned Cahill
25. Cooper Stephens
26. Cameron Taheny
27. Jackson Mead Port F/S
28. Finn Maginness Haw F/S
29. Lachlan Stapleton
30. Liam Henry Fre NGA
31. Mitch Mellis
32. Joshua Morris
33. Brock Smith
34. Declan Carmody
35. Josh Worrell
36. Conor Budarick GCS A
37. Jackson Davies
38. James Schishka
39. Liam Delahunty GWS A
. Harry Schoenberg
41. Chas Karpala
42. Deven Robertson
43. Luke Jackson
44. Fischer McAsey
45. Jay Rantall
46. Harrison Minton-Connell
47. Cody Weightman
48. Ryan Gardner
49. Trey Ruscoe
50. Jarvis Pina

mentions: Georgiades, Jeka, McEntee, O'Connell, Ralphsmith, O.Lewis
No Will Martyn or Keiden Coleman in your rankings.

I know Coleman is an overager, but he’s still academy tied for this draft.

edps does, i had not seen him play until recently and i have to say he is impressive, i saw he kicked 6 goals in a reserves sanfl game, only seeing highlights, but the trials game he was super impressive, great closing down speed, agility and use of the footy, also can kick a goal, play mid to a decent level and play the small forw role well, i went away from the game i saw believing he has the talent to be a first rounder, i need to see more games to see if he is consistent but from what i saw he is a great prospect and he didnt look too small, dont know if he grew or it didnt seem to matter, but he didnt look 170cm to me.
Yeah I went over that thread just after I commented on this one and noticed he also had him around that high, I just really hope Port have a crack at him.

Yeah consistency will be the real question!

after seeing the SA/WA trials i was thinking of updating my top 40 to a top 50

things will change after the championships, i need to see more of the interstaters from WA/SA still and to see how they play against each other, but atm im happy with this list as it is.

TOP 50
1. Matt Rowell
2. Noah Anderson
3. Will Gould
4. Tom Green GWS A
5. Jeremy Sharp
6. Lachlan Ash
7. Dylan Williams
8. Charlie Dean
9. Caleb Serong
10. Dylan Stephens
11. Brodie Kemp
12. Mitch O'Neill
13. Sam Flanders
14. Thomson Dow
15. Kysaiah Pickett
16. Hayden Young
17. Jack Mahony
18. Trent Bianco
19. Ryan Byrnes
20. Flynn Perez - ACL
21. Trent Rivers
22. Chad Warner
23. Mitch Martin
24. Ned Cahill
25. Cooper Stephens
26. Cameron Taheny
27. Jackson Mead Port F/S
28. Finn Maginness Haw F/S
29. Lachlan Stapleton
30. Liam Henry Fre NGA
31. Mitch Mellis
32. Joshua Morris
33. Brock Smith
34. Declan Carmody**
35. Josh Worrell
36. Conor Budarick GCS A
37. Jackson Davies
38. James Schishka
39. Liam Delahunty GWS A
. Harry Schoenberg
41. Chas Karpala
42. Deven Robertson
43. Luke Jackson
44. Fischer McAsey
45. Jay Rantall
46. Harrison Minton-Connell
47. Cody Weightman
48. Ryan Gardner
49. Trey Ruscoe
50. Jarvis Pina**

mentions: Georgiades, Jeka, McEntee, O'Connell, Ralphsmith, O.Lewis

** = 19 year old

Allies, SA, WA, Vic
I heard someone today talk about chad warner. He seems to have come from
nowhere. Could be a bolter!

I heard someone today talk about chad warner. He seems to have come from
nowhere. Could be a bolter!

i've only seen 1 full game of his, but his stats are good averages around 25 disp, 4 games 2 goals (colts)for an inside mid is good, accumulator, industrious, tough, fights for the hard ball, clearances, all the things you want from an inside mid, 181cm 80kg, good height and ready to go physically, definately a bolter as theres not many people reporting on WA talent on bigfooty or the AFL journos, so likely to be bolters from WA moreso than other states.

Ok Davo.
Let's see how valid your draft board really is.
Tell is about the 8 Swans players selected in the Allies!

Ok Davo.
Let's see how valid your draft board really is.
Tell is about the 8 Swans players selected in the Allies!

Jackson Barling is probably my favourite seeing as Harrison Parker was not selected, he is likely to get picked up if not by the swans another club will imo, good running mid who hits targets and was one i highlighted on post 1

Gulden is a star maybe top 10? and Campbell is looking like a 2nd/3rd rounder with a great kick on him at this stage for 2020 (if i had to speculate for next yr)

Thorne is a good talent, i have him late/rookie?

Ellem i havnt seen him play

Parks, Geddes, McGrath, Gaden, i dont rate too highly, im sure they are decent and might have a chance but they didnt stand out for me.

Swaney, Watling and Parker are 3 i would have in the allies team, im surprised they werent in the 50 man squad

i did not like Josh Rayner, he was one i was keeping an eye out for and all i saw was him playing ordinarily.

you will probably disagree but thats all good

in summary: my favoutrites from the Sydney Academy team were Parker, Barling, Watling (late pick/rookie), then i liked Gulden and Campbell for 2020, then i thought Swaney and Thorne were rookie chances, Rayner was disappointing and the others are speculative from my PoV, although i have not seen Ellem play i dont think?

Last edited:
Jackson Barling is probably my favourite seeing as Harrison Parker was not selected, he is likely to get picked up if not by the swans another club will imo, good running mid who hits targets and was one i highlighted on post 1

Gulden is a star maybe top 10? and Campbell is looking like a 2nd/3rd rounder with a great kick on him at this stage for 2020 (if i had to speculate for next yr)

Thorne is a good talent, i have him late/rookie?

Ellem i havnt seen him play

Parks, Geddes, McGrath, Gaden, i dont rate too highly, im sure they are decent and might have a chance but they didnt stand out for me.

Swaney, Watling and Parker are 3 i would have in the allies team, im surprised they werent in the 50 man squad

i did not like Josh Rayner, he was one i was keeping an eye out for and all i saw was him playing ordinarily.

you will probably disagree but thats all good

in summary: my favoutrites from the Sydney Academy team were Parker, Barling, Watling (late pick/rookie), then i liked Gulden and Campbell for 2020, then i thought Swaney and Thorne were rookie chances, Rayner was disappointing and the others are speculative from my PoV, although i have not seen Ellem play i dont think?
I respect your view.
Just wondering what games you watched?

i saw the first 3 games i believe and bits and pieces of the 4th and 5th, the last few weeks i have just skimmed through some games.
Which is equivalent to the Ford salesman briefly looking through one car show, but then filling the top cars of 2019 with Fords.
Funny, one of the players missed games 1 and 2 due to injury, another missed a couple of games later in the carnival, but can get the " I don't rate" comments.
You would be more honest and transparent if you simply said you really have no idea!
Rather than relying on Stats and feedback which is written by those who only have eyes for kids in the national academies, and your quick snippet of a game here and there.
Ellam played games 3, 4 and 5, and if you missed seeing a kid thats 194cm and 100kg and dominated games you must be watching another sport.
If you know the academy kids, you would know Barling is a half fwd who ocassionally plays through the mids, Parks has killed just about every fwd he has played on, Gaden/ McGrath missed multiple game because they were injured playing NEAFL games.
Gedes was on multiple best on reports.
I guess the question really is then, if the pundits can't take the time to assess ALL players rather then watch academy games in fast fwd but watch every private school game, imagine how improved the AFL would be!
Imagine how tough it would become.
South Australian and Western Australian kids are probably in the same boat... but I wouldn't presume to know, or try and rank them, because I haven't seen them, nor do I pretend to know them.
An expert is someone who knows, I guess it's easy to know what has always been rather then taking a look through new eyes!

Which is equivalent to the Ford salesman briefly looking through one car show, but then filling the top cars of 2019 with Fords.
Funny, one of the players missed games 1 and 2 due to injury, another missed a couple of games later in the carnival, but can get the " I don't rate" comments.
You would be more honest and transparent if you simply said you really have no idea!
Rather than relying on Stats and feedback which is written by those who only have eyes for kids in the national academies, and your quick snippet of a game here and there.
Ellam played games 3, 4 and 5, and if you missed seeing a kid thats 194cm and 100kg and dominated games you must be watching another sport.
If you know the academy kids, you would know Barling is a half fwd who ocassionally plays through the mids, Parks has killed just about every fwd he has played on, Gaden/ McGrath missed multiple game because they were injured playing NEAFL games.
Gedes was on multiple best on reports.
I guess the question really is then, if the pundits can't take the time to assess ALL players rather then watch academy games in fast fwd but watch every private school game, imagine how improved the AFL would be!
Imagine how tough it would become.
South Australian and Western Australian kids are probably in the same boat... but I wouldn't presume to know, or try and rank them, because I haven't seen them, nor do I pretend to know them.
An expert is someone who knows, I guess it's easy to know what has always been rather then taking a look through new eyes!

rating players is a fluid thing, personally im waiting for the championships and the finals and a few games before the finals because of the higher quality of football being played, i can usually judge a player from little vision and as the season goes i can lower or raise my opinion of said player, as its a fluid thing, if a player i dont rate "for good reason" plays well then i can change my mind, if a player i rate "for good reason" plays poorly i will also change my mind accordingly, i have already made plenty of changes so far this season.

i dont watch the school footy system or rely on journos opinions, i rely on what i believe good football is and rate accordingly, i have differences of opinion with EVERYONE, if we agree on things its because its likely we see the same thing, i will see most players that are worth seeing throughout the year through the championships or nableague, your rating of Sydney Academy is biased, i couldnt care less where the player comes from tbh, i hold zero bias and if that angers you, thats your problem, not mine...

i dont tell anyone im an expert(im just always right, about most things LOL), i put my read of players out there, you can like, dislike whatever the fk you want, but you are embarrassing yourself right now imo.

Last edited:
rating players is a fluid thing, personally im waiting for the championships and the finals and a few games before the finals because of the higher quality of football being played, i can usually judge a player from little vision and as the season goes i can lower or raise my opinion of said player, as its a fluid thing, if a player i dont rate "for good reason" plays well then i can change my mind, if a player i rate "for good reason" plays poorly i will also change my mind accordingly, i have already made plenty of changes so far this season.

i dont watch the school footy system or rely on journos opinions, i rely on what i believe good football is and rate accordingly, i have differences of opinion with EVERYONE, if we agree on things its because its likely we see the same thing, i will see most players that are worth seeing throughout the year through the championships or nableague, your rating of Sydney Academy is biased, i couldnt care less where the player comes from tbh, i hold zero bias...
No bias accusation!
Just find it difficult to understand how you can make comment based on nothing more than snippets.
Or don't rate players whom you haven't really seen play.
I'm not biased towards the Swans, i simply know what Im talking about when i post because I have seen them multiple times.
I, however, won't comment on players I know little about.
And hence, won't put one ahead of another because i know nothing about them.
I'm not going to try and help people understand that the Northern academies are producing great players, who are also usually more physically developed then their Victorian counterparts.
But it gets a little hohum up here knowing what we know, and having players overlooked due to a lack of knowledge.
You, yourself, prove that fact, noting that several players were overlooked from the Swans academy.
This is due to selectors being from Vic and Qld.
Funny that the Lions academy gets the same number in as the GCSs and Swans when they were well below the quality.
Or Tassie with 6 and NT with 4.
But seriously, 4 non-academy kids fromTAC cup teams.
You work it out.

Last edited:

i dont watch the school footy system or rely on journos opinions, i rely on what i believe good football is and rate accordingly, i have differences of opinion with EVERYONE, if we agree on things its because its likely we see the same thing, i will see most players that are worth seeing throughout the year through the championships or nableague, your rating of Sydney Academy is biased, i couldnt care less where the player comes from tbh, i hold zero bias and if that angers you, thats your problem, not mine...

i dont tell anyone im an expert, i put my read of players out there, you can like, dislike whatever the fk you want, but you are embarrassing yourself right now imo.
Davo, obviously the rating of players is very subjective and you’re entitled to your opinion. Personally, I think your high ratings of Barling and Parker above the other Swans boys as somewhat puzzling to say the least - but that’s just my opinion

However, my real issue is where you state that you didn’t see Ellem play. That’s not subjective, you either saw him play or you didn’t. The problem is that he actually played the last four of the five games. He’s 194cm and weighs 100kgs and kicked 8.8 over those games. If you didn’t see him play what were you watching and how were you able to judge the other Swans players?

Look, the thing is that the Swans Academy suppporters were really looking forwards to these NAB games. We’ve felt that we’ve been largely ignored over previous seasons and I for one was keen to see how the boys played against Vic opponents and how they were judged by the likes of recruiters, the media and, yes, people like you. I was really hoping for some quality analysis, regardless of what the verdicts may have been. My disappointment is that I suspect that we’ve still been largely ignored and any analysis has been cursory at best. Frankly I’d prefer analysts to simply say ‘I’ve haven’t really look at the Swans boys because I can’t be bothered and they don’t interest me’ rather than make stuff up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo, obviously the rating of players is very subjective and you’re entitled to your opinion. Personally, I think your high ratings of Barling and Parker above the other Swans boys as somewhat puzzling to say the least - but that’s just my opinion

However, my real issue is where you state that you didn’t see Ellem play. That’s not subjective, you either saw him play or you didn’t. The problem is that he actually played the last four of the five games. He’s 194cm and weighs 100kgs and kicked 8.8 over those games. If you didn’t see him play what were you watching and how were you able to judge the other Swans players?

Look, the thing is that the Swans Academy suppporters were really looking forwards to these NAB games. We’ve felt that we’ve been largely ignored over previous seasons and I for one was keen to see how the boys played against Vic opponents and how they were judged by the likes of recruiters, the media and, yes, people like you. I was really hoping for some quality analysis, regardless of what the verdicts may have been. My disappointment is that I suspect that we’ve still been largely ignored and any analysis has been cursory at best. Frankly I’d prefer analysts to simply say ‘I’ve haven’t really look at the Swans boys because I can’t be bothered and they don’t interest me’ rather than make stuff up.

well if Ellem has played i havnt noticed him, earlier in the season i was watching 8 games i think it was per weekend + Hawthorn + Box Hill games(10 games per weekend, i cant remember every single individual player, i tend to only focus on players that stand out to me), excuse me if i missed 1 player i didnt notice, if you look into this thread you will see some analysis of the swans academy games and see my thoughts if they are what you care for.

overall this is what i thought of the sydney academy team overall

in summary: my favoutrites from the Sydney Academy team were Parker, Barling, Watling (late pick/rookie), then i liked Gulden and Campbell for 2020, then i thought Swaney and Thorne were rookie chances, Rayner was disappointing.

if you want more details you can search through the thread for my observations of the individual games i posted early this season

my plan for this season, watch the nableague early, take a few weeks off when half the league plays school footy, see if i can watch trials, take a couple weeks off, watch Championships, take a few weeks off, watch a couple weeks prior to finals and finals, make top 40/50 to end the year...... by then i'd have collected enough information to be comfortable with my prediction.

Can we give the Sydney inferiority complex a rest for a while please? It's tedious.
Mate, no inferiority (or superiority for that matter) complex here. As I stated, we were simply really hoping to get some good analysis to understand how the boys actually compared to your Vic boys. Sadly there has been a fair amount of frustration that that hasn’t been evident so far. Apologies if that has been tedious for you but I think I’ll call it quits now anyway.

No bias accusation!
Just find it difficult to understand how you can make comment based on nothing more than snippets.
Or don't rate players whom you haven't really seen play.
I'm not biased towards the Swans, i simply know what Im talking about when i post because I have seen them multiple times.
I, however, won't comment on players I know little about.
And hence, won't put one ahead of another because i know nothing about them.
I'm not going to try and help people understand that the Northern academies are producing great players, who are also usually more physically developed then their Victorian counterparts.
But it gets a little hohum up here knowing what we know, and having players overlooked due to a lack of knowledge.
You, yourself, prove that fact, noting that several players were overlooked from the Swans academy.
This is due to selectors being from Vic and Qld.
Funny that the Lions academy gets the same number in as the GCSs and Swans when they were well below the quality.
Or Tassie with 6 and NT with 4.
But seriously, 4 non-academy kids fromTAC cup teams.
You work it out.
If you are knowledgable about the Allies boys I think the best thing to do would be to post your own phantom, or at least a thread about the northern academy boys so that people can appreciate and analyse your perspective.

Davo is based in Melbourne and is trying to cover the entire draft, as he does every year. At this point of the year I doubt any of our amateur draft watchers have seen every player extensively, but they're out there having a go so the rest of us don't have to. Reading stuff on a forum is always going to have caveats, especially in this sub-board where each thread is dedicated to one poster's opinion.

Bit of respect for the guys that do the legwork would be beneficial here I think. Constructive criticism is welcome but this condescending stuff is not going to fly.

If you are knowledgable about the Allies boys I think the best thing to do would be to post your own phantom, or at least a thread about the northern academy boys so that people can appreciate and analyse your perspective.

Davo is based in Melbourne and is trying to cover the entire draft, as he does every year. At this point of the year I doubt any of our amateur draft watchers have seen every player extensively, but they're out there having a go so the rest of us don't have to. Reading stuff on a forum is always going to have caveats, especially in this sub-board where each thread is dedicated to one poster's opinion.

Bit of respect for the guys that do the legwork would be beneficial here I think. Constructive criticism is welcome but this condescending stuff is not going to fly.
And I appreciate his point of view.
But would suggest if he doesn't know players he simply says "I don't know" rather than "I don't rate" because he hasn't evaluated their games.
Again I don't pretend to know the Allies, I know Sydney, and most of GWS. Have seen the two academies in Qld play AS Qld only, and watched Tassie against Swans enough to know that no way in hell should 6 players from there get into the Allies.
NT has a couple of standouts, but 4? Wow, the other 2 look good compared to the rest of their team, but get 4 into Allies compared to Swans and GCSs with 8.
Inferiority complex? That is hilarious!
We get bagged out for having a great academy because it's not fair but can't seem to have the playing field equal when it comes time for fair selection and fair analysis.

Dont think that dude deserves as much leeway as you've given him Lore to be honest.

People are on here giving up there time and energy to guys who either cbf or dont have the time themselves. No one is pretending to be a recruiter, they are clearly giving their observations and opinion on what they see. Sometimes from limited vision

If you dont agree,
a) Make your own thread
b) Dont be a complete asshat with condescending language when someone is providing a completely free service that benefits a broader community.

Asshats like that dude are the quickest way we lose access to the generous people who spend so much of their time on these boards so we dont have to

Last edited:
And I appreciate his point of view.
But would suggest if he doesn't know players he simply says "I don't know" rather than "I don't rate" because he hasn't evaluated their games.
Again I don't pretend to know the Allies, I know Sydney, and most of GWS. Have seen the two academies in Qld play AS Qld only, and watched Tassie against Swans enough to know that no way in hell should 6 players from there get into the Allies.
NT has a couple of standouts, but 4? Wow, the other 2 look good compared to the rest of their team, but get 4 into Allies compared to Swans and GCSs with 8.
Inferiority complex? That is hilarious!
We get bagged out for having a great academy because it's not fair but can't seem to have the playing field equal when it comes time for fair selection and fair analysis.
so your saying Mitch O'Neill shouldn't be in the allies or sam collins or ollie davies all those boys in the Australian team grow up buddy

so your saying Mitch O'Neill shouldn't be in the allies or sam collins or ollie davies all those boys in the Australian team grow up buddy
Where did I even mention that? I said 6 players weren't proportional for the way Tas played. Have never mentioned that they weren't deserved at all.
I didn't ask for Davo to blow wind up the arse of the Swans academy players either.
I asked what he knew, as it turns out, he knows a little, about a couple..
My suggestion was to say that is what he knows, not give feedback on players he really hasn't seen or evaluated.
But I do appologise, I didn't realise that I needed accept everything posted.
KM was asked to do the same.
His answer..
These are the kids I've seen, and this is my view.
He didn' evaluate every player, because he hadn't seen every player.
He did give very thorough and in some cases negative feedback which was accepted without a problem.
Grow up?
I thought a grown man would be able to take some disagreement.
Whatever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back