Do we have the AFL's worst ruck division?

Remove this Banner Ad

How about we don't leave opposition players 50 metres clear without an opponent in their forward 50? What 3 or 4 goals cause of this.
This was terribly frustrating, by the 4th quarter i was screaming for renouf to get of the ground and keep walking cos he can't kick for shit. No point in him taking a shot for goal, he's gotta look for the handball, one of the worst set shots i have ever seen.

In simply terms its FOOTball and Renouf hasn't grasped that part of the game. Sorry for the sarcasm. How can a modern footballer who is paid so much... kick so badly and jeapordise the teams abililty to score goals and win games. This is just one facet of a number of issues I believe are Hawthorns problem. Why not Darren Jolly if he was up to coming back to Melbourne. Gun ruckmen, gun kick for goal.

When you waste picks On Ellis, Thorp and Dowler unfortunately you can't get everyone you want to hide your recruiting woes.

I thought Renouf was disgraceful tonight as well, given what he played against.

And there is your half pregnant answer Taita...happy now?

I'd actually prefer that you said what you meant if that wasn't too much to ask.

Who or what is the problem in the coaches box?

How does your neighbour feel about it?

Is your opinion your own opinion or his?

That sort of thing.......

I didn't think Hale was played a lot in the ruck, was hard to assess his ruckwork given his short stints there.

Renouf had 23 hitouts and Hale 12 to Maric 15 and McKernan 13. Hawks dominated the clearances early in the game but the ball use going forward was poor, so many kicks inside 50 sailed way over Franklin and Roughead's head.

They just seemed to have a lot more run in their legs and ran out the quarters better. From what they said on the TV, Mitchell didn't have a disposal in the last 15 minutes of the game when it was in the balance. Didn't see a lot of the mids in the last quarter. Was surprised Sewell was subbed off, I thought he was playing well up until then, didn't see an injury.
Sewell was subbed coz he rolled an ankle.

I'm not going to even entertain the thought of what you think. My posts are my opinions fwiw. Your ridiculous assertions are hilarious though....I will give you that.

Hmmmmm......

What do you think I have asserted Phil?

Bad structures in the coaching box perhaps?

I think you'll find I haven't asserted anything.

I just want to know why you have.

Hmmmmm......

What do you think I have asserted Phil?

Bad structures in the coaching box perhaps?

I think you'll find I haven't asserted anything.

I just want to know why you have.

Is there any particular reason why if another Hawthorn poster happens to express an opinion contrary to your own you seem unable to argue the point without unnecessarily getting personal about it?

You seem to regard every bad word said about a Hawthorn player or coach on this board as some sort of "attack on the club" itself.

My question then is how long until you realize that supporters need to vent their feelings particularly after a disappointing loss, and that maybe you need to chill out a little and not take these comments so seriously?

Is there any particular reason why if another Hawthorn poster happens to express an opinion contrary to your own you seem unable to argue the point without unnecessarily getting personal about it?

You seem to regard every bad word said about a Hawthorn player or coach on this board as some sort of "attack on the club" itself.

My question then is how long until you realize that supporters need to vent their feelings particularly after a disappointing loss, and that maybe you need to chill out a little and not take these comments so seriously?

What was personal about it Bosk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers mate. :thumbsu:

I cannot beleive how many basic free kicks Renouf gave away in the first quarter! It was an utter shambles I reckon.

His kicking at goal needs to improve alot as well or he should just stay out of the forward 50

I think Phil and a few others are on the right track, here. The gameplan really was a problem last night.

Whilst it looked pretty good for the first half, it really only worked because the players were fresh enough to sprint up and down the field. Once you get tired, it doesn't work anymore. And we were rooted at half time.

How often was the back half empty (except for Croweaters) and we got pinged on the rebound? The same is happening at the other end, too. I recall Suckers breaking out of defence and had noone to kick it to.

Whatever happened to playing forwards in the forward half and backs in the back half?

I may be wrong, but the think the Crows did that last night and they won.

We will win a few this year and look bloody great doing it, but we are also going to get absolutely smashed several times by sides who have slick movement.

I expect quite a few last quarter fadeouts throughout this season.

So who came up with the gameplan? The coaches.
Who should work out what to do with the plan when the sting goes out of our legs? The coaches.

When posters have come on and said something like 'same shit different year' they have had something to base their comment on - Franko or Rough v 3 or 4 at one end, or Gibbo or Stratts v 3 or 4 at the other.

For the bit where we were moving the pill, it looked good and maybe we are still ironing out the bugs. But FFS, can we at least send 4 players back to defend our goal once the ball passes the centre line?

Using 16-odd players to keep the ball in the forward line only works if you score every time. And we don't.

As for the players, they all tried hard. I am not the least concerned by the howlers or the turnovers. That will improve over time.

A marathon is only marginally longer in duration than an AFL game. Not sure how we can expect the boys to sprint for the full game time.

Someone mentioned a touch of the Knights gameplan. Didn't work for him.

We had just kicked the first goal of the last quarter and put ourselves back in front... Adelaide go forward from the restart but rioli gathers and find renouf on his own in the centre with a beautiful left kick... It seemed we were gathering momentum... Renouf then nervously/rushly tries to handball it to a running Birchall but instead handballs it straight to Maric, turnover and goal to Adelaide... That was it for me...

If he had half a brain or some composure, he would of seen Maric, and either handballed it over him to Brichall, gone forward and kicked it long or handballed it outside to Whitecross who was on his own... So frustrating - he wasn't even under pressure!!

I know he tries his heart out and is a goer etc. but he just does not have a footy brain... Time and time again he makes bad decisions, turns over the ball and we lose momentum as a result... Either we use him only as a ruckman and quit using him as a link man (despite how open he is) or get rid of him

On another note, the umps need to give buddy a break

I thought our rucks dominated the adelaide guys tonight.

Renouf is a top young prospect. Hale clearly can ruck and will be a top recruit.

I dont understnd this thread??

I feel like everyone is panicking a bit

Renouf was terrible last night, last night i would compare him to taylor on a bad day. He may have gotten more taps than anyone else but they never went to any of our players. And all the opposing ruckman needed to do was stand next to him to get a free kick (even though a couple of the decisions were quite contentious).

The MAIN PROBLEM i see with Renouf is his game sense is lacking, our own players know this and refuse to pass it to him 90% of the time, even when he's open and there under immense pressure.

On the upside he is still very young and has alot of development to go. His contested marking is above average and his ability to get his hand to the ball in the ruck is better than some.

THIS IS ALSO THE FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR SO IM SURE HE IS LOOKING TO IMPROVE HIS PERFORMANCE IN WEES TO COME.

"every player has the odd dog of a game"

The MAIN PROBLEM i see with Renouf is his game sense is lacking, our own players know this and refuse to pass it to him 90% of the time, even when he's open and there under immense pressure.

This is true, and hurts us. Ruckmen like Cox and Jolly are involved in chains and linkages, they have good disposal by foot and hand.

I would almost have given my right nut for Hawthorn to have chased and gotten Jolly in 2009. The difference he would make would be amazing.

Looking at Renouf's tap work last night, it looked so stilted, nothing natural about it, like he had to REALLY think hard and plan where he was going to tap it, then he hits it with his concrete hands and it just goes straight to an opposition mid. Sigh...

Yes. Renouf kicks like a 12 year old girl, not big enough to be a ruckman can take a mark but should then should immediately hand ball to someone else regardless, preferably to Rioli as even if Rioli is lying on the ground with 3 opponents standing on him the outcome will be better than Renouf kicking the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have the AFL's worst ruck division?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back