Does Murphy get to 300?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honey has been told he needs to work on his technique as his tackles are too vigorous. I am not too concerned if he give away frees on the wing pounding his opponent into the turf.

That is what’s wrong with our coaching department. He hits and hurts. That’s unsociable football that’s wins premierships and has been proven year on year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry, but Murph cruelled his own legacy by the conditional, half hearted way he has played for the last 5 years or so. He may well have been a VV good player in is first 150 games or so, but he has poisoned the club by his actions on the field since, and I include seasons when he was the worst
Captain we have ever had.
He didn't leave because he knew he couldnt play the half arsed football he has given us at any other club. He is a disgrace in the way he sets example for the youngsters, by hack kicks off the ground when he should commit, or 'f@#k, I might get tackled' hospital handpasses. Absolute disgrace to the Navy Blue.
Thank you , finally some logic !!

I'm jealous of the people on here who got to see and enjoy the golden premiership years back then - been watching a lot of old games recently - there was never a soft dud wearing the navy blue on the field back then - they were all contested animals - and the kicking skills ...what stands out to me was the one handball one kick thing that was so characterstic - no mucking around.

those late 70' early 80's teamss would beat our side today by 20 goals.
Mid 70's Carlton had a very a good team, but were considered a little soft. 1976 finished on top home and away and went out in straight sets.
The wheels came off in 1977..Had to beat the Dogs at the Western Oval in the final game of the season to make the finals and South had to beat Norf at Arden Street to jump over us. We lost, South won and we missed the finals. It all changed mid 1978, when Jezza was appointed coach. Played the kids, and taught them values of winning and hard training. Parkin inherited a gold mine but should have won more premierships in the 80's.

A perfect summary right here.
A huge black cloud leaves with him at seasons end.
Those responsible for allowing the shameful charade to get this far need to be outed by the current review and thankfully that looks to have already begun …
Wow, and people think I am moody...Bit harsh on the guy. Spent his whole career playing in a s*it team bar three years, played under 5 coaches, probably could have walked and gone to a successful club like Sydney at the time or even Hawthorn and played a role perhaps even part of a flag. When Judd was up and about, Murphy played a great second foil and did a lot of damage. When Judd retired and then Gibbs left, it threw a hell of a lot of pressure back on Murphy, as he had to carry the midfield. You don't get to 300 games if you can't play.

Wow, and people think I am moody...Bit harsh on the guy. Spent his whole career playing in a s*it team bar three years, played under 5 coaches, probably could have walked and gone to a successful club like Sydney at the time or even Hawthorn and played a role perhaps even part of a flag. When Judd was up and about, Murphy played a great second foil and did a lot of damage. When Judd retired and then Gibbs left, it threw a hell of a lot of pressure back on Murphy, as he had to carry the midfield. You don't get to 300 games if you can't play.

Hawthorn and most clubs have wiped their boots and dined out on us for years precisely because of the conditional, soft, selfish crap Murphy and his crew have been allowed to serve up and been well paid for.
Murphy was a fine player earlier in his career but those credits expired long ago.
What a pathetic example he has become and what a hollow milestone it will be.
Staggers me how some support the principal of individual over team … EVER !!

Not his fault - but should never have been appointed captain, and I believe the decision to not give the captaincy to Simmo/Carrots at the time has directly led to the shit sandwiches of seasons from 2014 till now.

I'd push him to retire immediately, with a farewell game next week. No to 300 from me.

Not his fault - but should never have been appointed captain, and I believe the decision to not give the captaincy to Simmo/Carrots at the time has directly led to the sh*t sandwiches of seasons from 2014 till now.

I'd push him to retire immediately, with a farewell game next week. No to 300 from me.
He will get some respect about over time for f he retired immediately and no more game time for him

we are running one short very time he runs out there

and we are already running out with so many players short of our best 22 and we are reliant on so few every week

Walsh must be exhausted

How would you know ? We have such an ungrateful fanbase.

If Cripps walks, I couldn't blame him because the likes of you will likely downplay his achievements.
You never know, our online slandering of Murphy, may have a bearing of whether the likes of Cripps or Harry re-sign with us or not ?

You ever stopped for a moment that our Murphy disrespect/slander could have a trickle on effect .

As I keep on repeating, loyalty is a two street.

I’m not saying I know, just putting an alternate theory out there as opposed to just “loyalty”.

Either way we don’t owe playing him if he doesn’t warrant being in the best 22 now, which I don’t think he does.

A perfect summary right here.
A huge black cloud leaves with him at seasons end.
Those responsible for allowing the shameful charade to get this far need to be outed by the current review and thankfully that looks to have already begun …
Won't happen -- those calling for the review probably heard and believed him when he said he was playing well enough to get a game ..

It all changed mid 1978, when Jezza was appointed coach. Played the kids, and taught them values of winning and hard training. Parkin inherited a gold mine but should have won more premierships in the 80's.
We were also fortunate moody in getting such a great group of kids come through like Harmes, Buckley, Sheldon, Johnston, McConville, Marcou who all knew how to play football. Recruiters knew their stuff back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is what’s wrong with our coaching department. He hits and hurts. That’s unsociable football that’s wins premierships and has been proven year on year.

This is the quote in regard to Honey. There is no mention of "too vigorous".
" Josh is very strong athletic type build, he’s extremely powerful and he had an enormous amount of sprint efforts, more than I generally see in any game from anyone: he had over 30 sprint efforts which is incredible. He’s capable of doing that so we expect that from him, but what he did was he played with physicality. At times, it was a little bit too much where he might’ve been a bit undisciplined where he gave a few free kicks away late in the game, which hurt our team, but in saying that, he did play with physicality which is exactly what we want from Josh. He laid a couple of bone-crunching tackles which is great to see, his speed certainly gets into the game and makes him hard to defend. The important part for Josh is how we fix up that discipline which I’m sure we can do that moving forward."

Maybe they need to show him the pretend tackle and pretend pressure that murphy has mastered for so many years , we can’t afford to lose that masterful technique

Murphy was elite in his day..have seen a lot of Murphy and most of it pretty good..yes i guess he makes 300 on his momentum[silly post]
Murphy has injury issues and his fair share it seems thus the issue with him not tackling properly for fear of ripping out his shoulder out again,not great..i think i would also avoid heavy contact

Murphy seemed to pick his games when he would shine,when he did he could turn a game single handed.
Otherwise he has over many years seemed to be too easy at times and sniffed the roses on the way[maybe a bit of a holiday]

wont be a huge loss at this stage at all

Carlton has seemed a bit f a holiday camp the past few decades all up.....very happy we got Russell,he might wake the club up including the Board.

Murphy was elite in his day..have seen a lot of Murphy and most of it pretty good..yes i guess he makes 300 on his momentum[silly post]
Murphy has injury issues and his fair share it seems thus the issue with him not tackling properly for fear of ripping out his shoulder out again,not great..i think i would also avoid heavy contact

Murphy seemed to pick his games when he would shine,when he did he could turn a game single handed.
Otherwise he has over many years seemed to be too easy at times and sniffed the roses on the way[maybe a bit of a holiday]

wont be a huge loss at this stage at all

Carlton has seemed a bit f a holiday camp the past few decades all up.....very happy we got Russell,he might wake the club up including the Board.

Yeah - this. This is what I have problem with the bolted on Murphy fan club. I would genuinely rather not bag out Murphy, in my view he deserves it in spades - but let it go, same applies to all footy players its a tough gig. But when you get people coming on day after day making endless excuses, almost all of which don't stack up - and then you get what are just absolutely absurd claims then you're left with no choice.

Not once did I see Murphy turn the tide single handed to win a game of football. I have seen him have some great games, with big numbers - but not this. I think I saw Gibbs do it once - and Gibbs was twice the player.

He is no Thomas, Swan, Franklin, Ablett, Diesel, Dusty, Carey, McCloud etc - he is just 100 miles off it and talking him up is infuriating.

I honestly think Murphy may well be one of the most overrated players of all time.

I would put him in the category of Dean Rice, not even Brett Ratten - Mathew Lappin was a better player.

Not hard to get a stack of games in our past 15 years if you’re a reasonable player. Murphy has also been durable, partly because he doesn’t go near a contest.

Moving clubs would have also meant taking a pay cut, and IMO Murph has been happy to cop playing in a rubbish team (which he’s used to anyway) rather than defect and lose out on a decent contract.

He was an elite player back in the day, but even when he was captain I’d never felt any warmth or spirit towards the club from Murph.

Yeah - this. This is what I have problem with the bolted on Murphy fan club. I would genuinely rather not bag out Murphy, in my view he deserves it in spades - but let it go, same applies to all footy players its a tough gig. But when you get people coming on day after day making endless excuses, almost all of which don't stack up - and then you get what are just absolutely absurd claims then you're left with no choice.

Not once did I see Murphy turn the tide single handed to win a game of football. I have seen him have some great games, with big numbers - but not this. I think I saw Gibbs do it once - and Gibbs was twice the player.

He is no Thomas, Swan, Franklin, Ablett, Diesel, Dusty, Carey, McCloud etc - he is just 100 miles off it and talking him up is infuriating.

I honestly think Murphy may well be one of the most overrated players of all time.

I would put him in the category of Dean Rice, not even Brett Ratten - Mathew Lappin was a better player.

Probably a couple that stand out off the top of my head with Murph:

Last round 2013 v Port
2019 v Freo over there with no Cripps and Charlie off early

Mid 70's Carlton had a very a good team, but were considered a little soft. 1976 finished on top home and away and went out in straight sets.
The wheels came off in 1977..Had to beat the Dogs at the Western Oval in the final game of the season to make the finals and South had to beat Norf at Arden Street to jump over us. We lost, South won and we missed the finals. It all changed mid 1978, when Jezza was appointed coach. Played the kids, and taught them values of winning and hard training. Parkin inherited a gold mine but should have won more premierships in the 80's.
you're completely minimizing the teams of the 80's like hawthorn and * - we won 3 from 4 attempts, hawks 4 from 7 and * 2 from 3 - it gives me no pleasure to say that if * hadn't had such a stumbling block as those first semi-finals and we met them later in september, our flag count would probably be lower - we simply could not beat them if my memory is anywhere near correct.........

Whats the point in posting this? A goal on the siren, it has nothing to do with the conversation at all.

It certainly has.

You said - 'Not once did I see Murphy turn the tide single handed to win a game of football'

I see you missed this post:-

Last round 2013 v Port

Last round 2013 v Port

Because he got a hard bump and lay on the ground for a very, very long time? Or because he played such an unstoppable game like the aforementioned that he turned the entire game off his own bat.

No - he was a decent game - but it was not Tony Locket or Fev kicking 9. Polson had more impact.

Would have to watch 2013 again - but have very little inclination as I very much doubt it was an Michael Voss unstoppable freight train winning the game.

Because he got a hard bump and lay on the ground for a very, very long time? Or because he played such an unstoppable game like the aforementioned that he turned the entire game off his own bat.

No - he was a decent game - but it was not Tony Locket or Fev kicking 9. Polson had more impact.

Would have to watch 2013 again - but have very little inclination as I very much doubt it was an Michael Voss unstoppable freight train winning the game.

It's just silly to think that Murphy has never been the best player on the ground in a winning performance. Why does it have to be a Michael Voss unstoppable freight train type game? Murphy isn't built to play in that fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back