Autopsy Dogs fail to perform against saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Just noticed we’ve kicked more behinds than goals in 6 of our last 7 matches, with the one being when we kicked 9.8 vs GWS last year.

Has to be some kind of record.

Here is a table of our shot at goal accuracy since R1 2022, the highlighted cells indicate matches that we kicked below the competition average of 48.5%. Our last 7 (9 of our last 11 matches) have been below the competition average...

GA3.png

That was bad. The first two games have been demoralising. I was certain we were going to be top 4 but deep down knew we would win the whole lot. Too much preseason optimism is a bad thing. I believed the hype I am a sucker. I am going to work today but feel I need to take a sickie but probably go because it's double pay. I am shattered we played horrible. Bont tried hard and so did English that is all I got to say. One more thing bevos time is up only a godly miracle can save him.
Honestly, i think part of our problem is overestimating the quality of our list. The holes that are being exposed now have been growing for some time.

I know it is our job as supporters to be blindly positive. But you can support the team while realistically understanding that they are not going to be contenders this year. And importantly, the management needs to have a clinical understanding of where we are at - otherwise in the off-season you go and recruit Rory Lobb based on false optimism.

View attachment 1640192

No surprise on the second part. Same with Hunter at the Demons last week, and Dunkley next week. Why I hate trading out players sometimes. We are not that hard to figure out as it is, and then throw in some inside info from ex players on top of that.

Then again, we had Oskar Baker to feed us Demons intel in Round 1, and no-one less than a former St Kilda senior assistant coach to do the same against the Saints. So, yeah...

Last edited:
Saints tend to have us struggling with leg speed. We have spoken on injury list and then dropped JJ and Hannan who both have some speed (both super poor prior week). At least Garcia has some speed coming in.
No one can accuse Garcia of not trying. But I was watching a few times last night when he was chasing an opponent and they were running away from him. Now admittedly these guys were amongst the Saints fastest runners. But let's be clear - Garcia isn't speedy - he is simply faster than average. What he is is speedy compared to the rest of our team, who are slower than average. Bailey Smith seems to have lost some pace too, somehow.

Voice my concerns in a careful and pragmatic way. Not a sack everyone rant!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just don't think they give a stuff.

They haven't got the balls to make any change
Whether it makes a difference or not, people should write to the club. They need to know that the fans are not happy. If every member did it, how could they not listen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm old. This is the same embarassment I felt following this club in the 70's & 80's. I thought this was all behind us. I'm sure everyone working at the club loves it, but not enough to get ruthless for the greater good. Too many 'mates' relationships to get honest.

Head honchos needs to start showing some tough love AND show the supporters what they are doing to address things. We were never privy to last year's review were we?

The Rhode to nowhere years were similar.
You know you need a full cleanout when no one improves. Top 10 picks, veterans, mid-tiers, rookies, when not a single player shows improvement, there are bigger issues at play. Last year was like this and 2 games in, this year is shaping exactly the same way. Bevo, Grant etc... had a preseason to fix it. Thats been wasted so they now have to fix it in season. I've always supported Bevo but I think his time is up. A new team should come in next year with a top 5 pick and kick off the list turnover.
The writing was on the wall when we limped into the finals last year. Bevo should've come out and said that that generation was done and we are refreshing. Instead, we spent two good picks on Lobb and topped up with Jones. He's been good but do we really need him occupying the salary cap for the next 4 years while we rebuild? Also at his age, the end can come suddenly. Look at Keath and Macrae.
I could stomach these losses if we were playing talented kids with untapped potential but we aren't. As another poster pointed out, we only have Cleary and Bedendo outside the team who are kids that have shown something. I actually think he is generous to Bedendo. He hasn't shown enough for a 3rd year player for mine to be confident he will be a permanent starting 18 player in the future.

I’ve written and parked the email, which is always a good idea. It’s very measured and respectful. Even just writing it has been good therapy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's a very good idea to delay sending, until you are certain you have phrased your message respectfully but stating your main points. How many times have we bashed something out in indignation and pressed Send, only to wish we'd done it differently.

Anyone out there remember to the start to the 87 season? Lost by 60, 108 and 87 points. Rocked up the next week expecting the worst, playing against Hawthorn, reigning premiers. We looked like a completely different side, won by 7 goals in a canter. I wouldn't give up on next week just yet, $2.90 looks pretty juicy to me. You can't go that bad in such a short space of time. Just trying to be positive, I'm all for change but not after 2 games. Lets see how the next month pans out.

Last edited:
Anyone out there remember to the start to the 87 season? Lost by 60, 108 and 87 points. Rocked up the next week expecting the worst, playing against Hawthorn, reigning premiers. Looked a like a completely different side, won by 7 goals in a canter. I wouldn't give up on next week just yet, $2.90 looks pretty juicy to me. You can't go that bad in such a short space of time. Just trying to be positive, I'm all for change but not after 2 games. Lets see how the next month pans out.
It's going to be awful

I didn't think the defence was all bad, at least relatively speaking. While their initiative with ball movement, especially in the first quarter could have been better, when you lose a game with -20 I50 differential, that's usually on the midfield, not the forward line or defence.

The mark crap was still happening last night

McLean got caught - went to man the mark then retreated like last year and in his confusion gave away a 50.

It might go down as one of the worst tactics in recent memory. Not only was it ******* stupid at the time, it might have scrambled the brains of some of our players on an incredibly basic part of the game.

Now we are in purgatory. We sometimes back off, we sometimes man it. Sometimes we do neither. Players are second guessing the umps because they are on to us. Its completely screwed us.

With under a minute to go in the first quarter he gave up on a live play to focus on arguing with the umpire. Soccer-style.

It's simply not acceptable and if it doesn't show where his head is specifically then it probably encapsulates the whole teams current mindset.
West's lack of professionalism in multiple instances was atrocious, played like the tiger's Richo used to, without all the good stuff

I didn't think the defence was all bad, at least relatively speaking. While their initiative with ball movement, especially in the first quarter could have been better, when you lose a game with -20 I50 differential, that's usually on the midfield, not the forward line or defence.
I’m feeling much better about the defence this year. It’s not a strength by any means, but it holds up well enough. Our midfield is absolutely deplorable though. The frustrating part is how much of our cap is dedicated to midfielders who are currently performing like a bottom 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs fail to perform against saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back