Dons want Buddy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I would love to see him at Essendon I think something has to be done about top picks being able to leave the club that invests in them so early. If he does leave Hawthorn will have ultimately wasted a top 10 pick for no return.

Do something about this situation AFL :mad:

7zark7 said:
something has to be done about top picks being able to leave the club that invests in them so early.

The PSD is there to stave off the legal threat from the players over Restraint of trade.

It's up to clubs to keep their players happy and re-signed.

Chewy said:
The PSD is there to stave off the legal threat from the players over Restraint of trade.

It's up to clubs to keep their players happy and re-signed.
How about we don’t offer the PSD picks in reverse ladder order but we shuffle them after trade week.

MarkT said:
How about we don’t offer the PSD picks in reverse ladder order but we shuffle them after trade week.

Good idea, but do the bottom two groups in lots of four.

Picks 1-4 shuffled for teams finishing 13-16.

Picks 5-8 shuffled for teams finishing 9-12.

Picks 9-16 going in order for teams finishing 8-1. (No need to shuffle these picks as little PSD quality gets there anyway.)

All this talk of PSD dealings is rubbish. The last time that a big name player actually went through to another club via the pre-season draft was Nick Stevens (well at the time anyway) and that was mainly due to Port's stubborn and arrogant dealings towards Collingwood anyway.
There is no way Essendon or Carlton (or whoever finishes bottom of out them two) will get Franklin in the PSD.

celtic_pride said:
All this talk of PSD dealings is rubbish. The last time that a big name player actually went through to another club via the pre-season draft was Nick Stevens (well at the time anyway)

And that was such a long time ago?
What has there been, two PSD's since?

celtic_pride said:
Okay go back the last 10 - 15 years ?
How many big name players have gone to new clubs VIA the PSD ?

Is Franklin a big name player?

Joel Smith, Matthew Carr, Scott Russell, Jade Rawlings, Blake Caracella, were reasonably big names at the time.

Tony Lockett in 2002 ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longy413 said:
Is Franklin a big name player?

Joel Smith, Matthew Carr, Scott Russell, Jade Rawlings, Blake Caracella, were reasonably big names at the time.

Tony Lockett in 2002 ;)

Joel Smith was coming off an knee reco ... Matt Carr average ...
Scott Russell was nearly 30 at the time
The Jade Rawlings deal was done in a dodgy move between the Hawks and the Dogs (the veale deal)
Blake Caracella is hardly an big name player. Servicable yes, but not a player clubs were knocking the door down to obtain.
And the Lockett comeback was a bit of a farce.
Yes Franklin is a 'big name' player but it won't come to that. The Hawks aren't stupid enough to let him go for nothing.

Gilbert_Hodge said:
I agree, get rid of Franklin for pick 1 in this years wonderful draft! Seems Buddy is just being annoying now. If he moved to Essendon i couldn't see him doing much there.

He's going to be a superstar at Hawthorn but he'd be average at Essendon.

Funny that.

Not sure how a bloke who has played 20 games, showed a lot of talent but also shown some flaws makes it as a big name. But each to their own.

If he's a big name, I guess Hawthorn will have no problem paying him big dollars.

I said this 1 week ago and I will repeat it.

Franklin will sign with the dawks for three years and within 5 weeks ( now 4) he will be back at Box Hill.

Happy to stand by that prediction.

Buddy had a reputation of being a loose cannon before the draft.
He has already proven himself to be a handful at hawthorn.
These types of plays prove to be more trouble then what they are worth. May show glimpses of potential. But that's all you'll get with buddy.

Flag Man said:
Good idea, but do the bottom two groups in lots of four.

Picks 1-4 shuffled for teams finishing 13-16.

Picks 5-8 shuffled for teams finishing 9-12.

Picks 9-16 going in order for teams finishing 8-1. (No need to shuffle these picks as little PSD quality gets there anyway.)
Not sure why you need to reward the failures and continue to encourage the system as it is but at least that removes the blackmail leverage.

MarkT said:
Not sure why you need to reward the failures and continue to encourage the system as it is but at least that removes the blackmail leverage.

Didnt they shuffle the first four picks in the PSD a few years ago? If so why did they change it back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dons want Buddy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back