Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. All I'm trying to point out to his highness things aren't black and white and what might be seen as "reaching" for need can turn out pretty well. Like it did with Davis, like it did with Harry Taylor at Geelong.

I'll back the club to pick the right player, whether it's a midfielder, ruckman, CHB whatever.

I don't take disagreement?

Tell me why Davis is as talented as Yarran without having a shot.

After seeing the influence Yarran in a replay of the Saints game this week, I was surprised to see that Yazz had just 10 touches. Nearly every touch hurt them and went to the advantage of a teammate.

CFC TV: Rnd 7 Goal Highlights

Yarran's defensive pressure was incredible in that game.

Gilbert couldn't baulk him and get past him on the wing.

Thanks TG, I watched it 3 times. GOLD :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Hypothetically, if Watson McCarthy, Lynch and Darling are gone and reaching for a KPP is a huge stretch, who would be the better fit and pick?

Jayden Pitt

Cameron Guthrie

Ben Jacobs

Billie Smedts

The ability of Pitt and Jacobs to hit a target is something we need.

Pitt looks like he'll project as a quick wingman who can hit targets and kick goals.

Another roadrunner if the talls we rate are gone.

Who knows if Walker will stick around, so our list is everchanging like btdg posted on this board.

Smedts reminds me of Lucas who is a gun, composed, versatile and good overhead, yet isn't an elite kick.

We could draft Smedts if he's there.

I hate this compromised draft and the next.

Get the feeling it's Mitchell or bust if we want a KPP at 18.

doesn't WH always go for the best available:confused:
ep suggested that we're going to go tall.

IIRC, WH said he went for Hampson ahead of Jetta to get a ruckman.

Best available could possibly hand us another ruckman such as Lycett if he's rated and available.

I can't see us going that tall. :D

ep suggested that we're going to go tall.

IIRC, WH said he went for Hampson ahead of Jetta to get a ruckman.

Best available could possibly hand us another ruckman such as Lycett if he's rated and available.

I can't see us going that tall. :D

hope not - see previous post of mine below

WH will go for best available (that's what I'm hearing), then what if the best available at pick 18 was a ruckman, would he still pick the ruckman eventhough we have 3 and just traded out our forth (coupled with the new interchange rules). Some may say yes can always do with quality ruckman. What if, for arguements sake, the following year the best available at our 1st round pick was also a ruckman would WH still stick with the best available policy and grab a 5th ruckman. I think not

What I have just stated is highly unlikely and was only said to make the point that there is no need to be completely inflexible with your decision making, I'm sure there will be some sort of flexibility when it comes to whom he picks, at least I hope so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not all too impressed by the talls whose names have been used, but I guess I have only seen youtube clips....but still wouldn't mind McCarthy/Darling/Watson etc

Would love for Jacobs to fall to us though...I'd rather go for a tall at pick 34 and go best available at 18 :thumbsu:

I'm not all too impressed by the talls whose names have been used, but I guess I have only seen youtube clips....but still wouldn't mind McCarthy/Darling/Watson etc

Would love for Jacobs to fall to us though...I'd rather go for a tall at pick 34 and go best available at 18 :thumbsu:

I like best available at 18 too. Not super-keen on Jacobs though. Gets a lot of the ball, and uses it alright, but I just can't seem to like him

ratten has stated the need for a kpd, and it`s his arse that is on the line so i imagine that he may have had a word with w.hughes on that subject....you cannot go with best available when the team has specific needs !!!:(

Yes lets pass over a potential star for a kid thats "tall" :rolleyes:

You can and should go best available with your first pick ..speculate with later picks all you want ...but get the best kid with your best pick.

You can and should go best available with your first pick ..speculate with later picks all you want ...but get the best kid with your best pick.
First round picks aren't what they used to be. This is equivalent to a second round pick (arguably even worse) in any other year.

TG changes his draft slections more than he changes his signature and avatar.
I don't know the players outside of what I read.

That qualifies me to question the drafting of Lucas ahead of Talia like everyone else...

I'm still pissed that our real pick would have give us a shot at McCarthy, Watson, Darling and possibly Lynch if there weren't concessions.

Even Atley or Smith could have fallen into our lap.

I might have another beer.

Talls who are worth their salt will be gone by pick 18.

Don't sig me on that...
I like best available at 18 too. Not super-keen on Jacobs though. Gets a lot of the ball, and uses it alright, but I just can't seem to like him
I don't know where Jacobs would fit in as part of our best 22, but maybe we shouldn't mind frig it and just consider that Jacobs is probably a better kick than 90% of our best 22.

Juggling just another draft talent
It's testament to the work he's done since being overlooked - twice - for inclusion in the AIS-AFL A

"It was a disappointment, but it was something that sparked a bit more motivation in me to come back and prove some people wrong," he says.

"I never doubted myself once. I always thought I would get drafted if I did the work and proved to people that I was good enough. I knew I had it in me so that was probably the main thing that kept me going.

"I don't think I'd be where I am now if I hadn't of had those disappointments."

He worked hard with former Essendon, and recently-appointed Team GWS, fitness guru John Quinn and O'Connor says the evidence of that work came to the fore during a stunning season that saw him earn All Australian honours at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"His kicking has been absolutely outstanding this year. He can kick a ball 60m-plus and he is very effective with his long kicks, but this year he has also lowered his vision a bit and really taken his short passing to another level. I think the South Australia game over there in the carnival where he had 47 touches really highlighted that.

"He's a ripper kid and he's probably as close to AFL level in terms of being able to play right now that we've got within our squad. He's up for a challenge, he's very competitive and very driven."
Juggling just another draft talent

Jacobs' head appears to be in the right place.

I don't know the players outside of what I read.

That qualifies me to question the drafting of Lucas ahead of Talia like everyone else...

I'm still pissed that our real pick would have give us a shot at McCarthy, Watson, Darling and possibly Lynch if there weren't concessions.

Even Atley or Smith could have fallen into our lap.

I might have another beer.

Fair enough.

To tell you the truth, I haven't been caught up in the draft hype like the last couple of years because of the GC concessions. But I have faith in WH to pick us a decent player at 18 whether it is a midfielder, a forward or a backman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back