Drug innuendo: Post all comments here. Previous threads merged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Should Channel 7 run the story?

too many people already know which club and which players are involved.

it will all come out. simply serves as a reminder that drug use is goes on at ALL afl clubs.

AFL should NEVER NEVER NEVER have introduced testing for non-performance enhancing drugs. no one to blame but themselves.

I don't think that ignoring the problem and pretending it doesn't exist is going to help anyone. I don't think that the AFL intended players to be named, and the fact that the players were in rehabilitation reflects well on the drugs policy. Its the rehab clinic, who somehow managed to lose the players files in a gutter, who is responsible for the public getting access to the information.

That female who sold the story is a parasite. She should be alientated about all her drug problems in the media, if she wants to hang other dity laundry out to dry then that slapper should laso follow suit. I mean which news reporter pays money for a file found on the side of hte street. I could write somthing up and sell it to channel 7 sayings its a clubs medical file and put a few names of club medico's on it (just get the names form the websites).

I mean people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones and thats what the slapper of a lady has done. I hope channel 7 news executives and dylan howard sleep better tonight, knowing they have ruined the career of some players and the integrity of a champion club, but are happy to feed the drug addiction of another mole!

hope she burns in hell.

I agree that channel 7 should review their sources before broadcasting. The "I found it down the street" sounds a little dodgy. But if it is legit ( and the reaction from the club indicates it most likely is) I don't think anbody did anything wrong.

I agree that channel 7 should review their sources before broadcasting. The "I found it down the street" sounds a little dodgy. But if it is legit ( and the reaction from the club indicates it most likely is) I don't think anbody did anything wrong.

Agree. The whole issue is being blown out of all proportions.

Re: To the woman who sold the story...

Tough.

BTW I don't think you can bag Carlton for the way we handled our problem. As soon as we found out about it we sacked one player involved, demanded the other make some lifestyle changes if he wanted to continue with the club, offered both professional counselling and immediately informed the media. I feel nothing but pride for the way our club handled an issue that every club in the AFL would be facing, not just the Hawks and Eagles.
this is the real problem.
The clubs are not informed until 3 strikes.
Then thats too late.
If clubs are informed after the first strike, the player can be kicked up the bum and told what could happen to his career .

Hawthorn officials did not know of any positive tests.
Here lies the problem.
Appart from a club doctor, The club cannot put any processes in place to deal with these issues

If a player is told by the coach he is out , if he tests positive after his first test, do you think he would take a drug again?

she has sold and made public Doctor/client confidential information .
she will be exposed when she has to go to court to defend her actions

Re: What this all means....

The way I see this is that, as disappointing as it is as a hawthorn member, no player has breached any AFL rules and as such is not liable to any penalties. The AFL allow players two positive drug test before any action is taken.
Perhaps i am naive, but for a person to happen to find confidential documents outside a drug rehab clinic and then choose to sell them to a TV station (read highest bidder) seems too coincidental.
Again, i can see the courts involved and Channel 7 in strife.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Surely it is illegal to pay for and then make public some papers that are basically stolen documents.

In am in no way a legal whiz, but I would think that the club and most importantly the players would have a case against channel 7 for the release of privileged medical records. And from channel 7 who are in an arrangment with broadcasting rights it seems a bizarre decision.

My mother used to say: 'She is the cat's mother'. :D

Agree. The whole issue is being blown out of all proportions.

When I said that I don't think anybody did anything wrong I was refering to the person selling the story. I know it is easy for me to say now, but I think the AFL should come down hard on any player using drugs ( Obviously including players from Richmond.)

When I said that I don't think anybody did anything wrong I was refering to the person selling the story. I know it is easy for me to say now, but I think the AFL should come down hard on any player using drugs ( Obviously including players from Richmond.)

Right, and i'm sure you'd have the same opinion if it were your club in the spotlight.

Fair enough, Solidity.

In am in no way a legal whiz, but I would think that the club and most importantly the players would have a case against channel 7 for the release of privileged medical records. And from channel 7 who are in an arrangment with broadcasting rights it seems a bizarre decision.

Actually i think that you would have more of a case against the rehab clinic as they failed to keep the documents safe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had a night to think about this and when it comes down to it, illegal drugs are part of our society and a large percentage of under 30's will
try one or more of them at some time. Why would AFL players be any different and is it realistic to expect them to be? There is also a big difference between an occasional dalliance and an addiction. However if you're discovered taking Crack, Smack or Ice your mental state and stability would have to be in question.
Drug use is as common in the AFL as anywhere else.
If it's not performance enhancing drugs it's really not any of our business.
By the evidence the discovered use was being dealt with as it should.
All derogatory posts from other club supporters should be deleted from our forum.
Damn the idiots, lets get this flag.

Depends on the way that the documents were leaked ...
you guys dont get it.
she was paid by ch7 to show the documents.
It doesnt matter how they were leaked ,accidents happen, it matters how they were made public.
Which is breaking the law.

I've had a night to think about this and when it comes down to it, illegal drugs are part of our society and a large percentage of under 30's will
try one or more of them at some time. Why would AFL players be any different and is it realistic to expect them to be? There is also a big difference between an occasional dalliance and an addiction. However if you're discovered taking Crack, Smack or Ice your mental state and stability would have to be in question.
Drug use is as common in the AFL as anywhere else.
If it's not performance enhancing drugs it's really not any of our business.
By the evidence the discovered use was being dealt with as it should.
All derogatory posts from other club supporters should be deleted from our forum.
Damn the idiots, lets get this flag.

Fair comment, clubsprint.

Sorry mate... it's still illegal, and not real good for you either.

I'd hate for us to excuse these players actions simply based on the color of their jumper.

Would you be so dismissive of it if it were your brother who was popping pills on the weekend? I think you'd be concerned about it, and I don't think we should be downplaying this issue one bit.

you guys dont get it.
she was paid by ch7 to show the documents.
It doesnt matter how they were leaked ,accidents happen, it matters how they were made public.
Which is breaking the law.

A couple off years ago i remember a woman found an Australian army report on CD in a public computer, she ended up giving it to Neil Mitchell, i think it was. As far as i remember no legal action was brought against her. Seems to be a similar situation....

Don't Bite fellow hawks....

Have solace in the knowledge that the players whoever they are made a mistake and were seeking help, so to me that says they are going in the right direction.

The only reason the players were at the Rehab was to overcome their problem that in it's self is a good story.

I don't condone drug use, but lets face it what can the club do to help this when they are not told until the 3rd time? sure they can educate but if someone wants to do something they will do it, but they have to get caught 3 times before the club as a whole can assist them with their problem..

So to all you so called supporters from other clubs, have a think before you say something, because it could be your club involved next time... what's the old saying Do to others as you would like have done to yourself...

Have some respect to our board, and if you have something stupid to say, say it where most stupid things are said...Bay 13 not here...

A couple off years ago i remember a woman found an Australian army report on CD in a public computer, she ended up giving it to Neil Mitchell, i think it was. As far as i remember no legal action was brought against her. Seems to be a similar situation....

did it have some sargents names who had tested positive for drugs?

First of all let me say this.

The press is the press. Remember their aim in all of this is $$$$$. They are parasites and will say whatever they need to say to get their cash. I find it very strange that somehow confidential documents were sitting in a gutter. I find it very strange that a passer by decided to pick up some gutter trash rather then just walk by. People see rubbish in the street so often that they barely react to it, yet this woman instantly decided to pick up some trash in the gutter and "happened" to notice some hawthorn names on it?? think about it and think about it again.

complete and utter B S!!!!

these documents were not found in a gutter, systems and processes would not allow at any professional medical firm to have confidential information lying in a gutter. If miraculously some patient information somehow made its way into a gutter, What are the chances that it is just some regular joe blogg's patient records detailing his treatment for crabs. Yet somehow, It just happened to be that particular document.

I am not denying that some hawthorn players have taken drugs, young kids on hundreds of thousand's of dollars a year with alot of spare time, you would bank on the fact that some of them would have taken drugs, But before we get all sad and depressed about this, what source did we get this from ? the press! Liars, scumbags, will write ANYTHING to get attention. What better way to sell some papers then another AFL drug scandal, it would be a gold mine,

If these documents are real and not fabricated, then they were leaked with the intent of being sold, from someone who had seen them or dealt personally with them. They were not found in a bloody gutter. I can guarantee, it would just never happen.

Heres a situation off the top of my head. A young receptionist at this firm is quite curious as to why some famous footballers are comming in, so she has a peak at their file (who wouldn't want to know!), she tells some friends about it who innocently remark " the press would pay thousands for these documents" A Little lightbulb goes off inside her head and all she can see is gold. She does not like her job anyway. So she steals the document one night, Gives it to a friend who her Employer doesn't know she knows, She makes up what she thinks is a brilliant story about her micraculous discovery whilst looking through some gutter trash (as we all do), and splits the 5 grand + that the press would pay for this 50/50 with the receptionist to which they go out and spend it on crack

Mark my words, The woman who leaked this was in to make a buck, not caring who/what she would destroy in the process.

By the way, Our boys are not ********s. They will channel all this energy into agression and use it on the field, rather then being all sad and down about it. Anyone who says this will affect our game against the dogs do not have enough faith.

I don't buy that the club wouldn't know this kind of stuff is taking place, rather like most clubs they choose to ignore it.
Someone among either the playing group, or coaching group, or administration would have been aware - and I've no doubt were instrumental in pushing the affected players in the right direction.

It's hugely dissapointing, and I understand that in other entertainment industries, drug use is a given, be it music, film - just about anything. But these young men are aware of the AFL and club's policy. They cannot plead ignorance. Rules are rules.

Re: To the woman who sold the story...

Grow up!

Look at the source of the problem. If anything how did the file get in the street? So much for confidentiality....

But still, saying she is no better than a drug dealer is childish and disgraceful.

Your club and it's players should take a hard look, not the girl that brought it to light.

Just the man I've been looking for!

See, I've got this bridge that I need to get rid of for tax reasons. It's called the Bolte bridge and will make you an absolute bucket of cash.

Seeing as how you are such an intelligent and not gullible gent I am prepared to do you a really good deal.......

I don't buy that the club wouldn't know this kind of stuff is taking place, rather like most clubs they choose to ignore it.
Someone among either the playing group, or coaching group, or administration would have been aware - and I've no doubt were instrumental in pushing the affected players in the right direction.

do you always tell your mother everything you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back