Each club's biggest rival/s

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of people tell me it's Carlton but honestly I feel like our two clubs haven't both been genuinely up at the same time for a very long time. Maybe that would reignite the rivalry but I feel like Richmond right now has a bigger rivalry with other clubs on field at the moment.

I dont feel like we have a natural number 1 rival at this point in time. Yes there are historic rivalries, maybe Collingwood is the strongest of those at the moment.
Carlton will always hate Richmond on field. History runs deeper than the last ten years. Still love watching the ‘82 grannie and the ‘13 elimination final. We have few other digitally documented memories to savour. Still wish someone belted Bartlett’s bald mug. Prima Donna.

Will always savour ‘82. Very few players transition between the two clubs shows that you are one of the other. Start every season recently despite our poor performance shows the depth of the rivalry. THE_GUN about the only Tigers supporter I have ever tolerated.
We learnt that you can't always measure rivalry in success. With a salary cap and equalisation, no one can stay atop forever. Carlton are coming and it will be massive when they do.

As an outsider, Cats Tiges these days is very good value, espesh with Scott only very recently accepting RFC's superiority, having been brought to tears. The rivalry had its beginning in 67 GF with Cats. It was hot news at the time, some Cats not willing to accept the loss. Come round to 69 semi final, Tiges turned in one of the great final performances hammering them by 100 plus. Geelong didn't recover for over a decade. Can they recover from RFCs recent domination?

It tends to lurch from one team winning frequently to the other. Richmond deciding to more or less sit out for a decade or two helped.

What's astonishing really is that although there have been big matches between them for a long time (back to playing twice in the 1931 finals series), Geelong have only actually won two finals against Richmond (1931 Grand final and 1995 Prelim). The last four years haven't exactly been pleasant when we've met at the business end either.

It tends to lurch from one team winning frequently to the other. Richmond deciding to more or less sit out for a decade or two helped.

What's astonishing really is that although there have been big matches between them for a long time (back to playing twice in the 1931 finals series), Geelong have only actually won two finals against Richmond (1931 Grand final and 1995 Prelim). The last four years haven't exactly been pleasant when we've met at the business end either.
We give you guys shit but Richmond supporters respect Geelong and its not secret you guys are what we aspired to be, now it gets fun because we have surpassed your success. However, we havent gone near your consistency yet. But the last 10 years has made us very relevant in these discussions.

As a West Coast fan, I fee the same way about Adelaide. As if there is a strange kinship between the two clubs, for whatever reason.

Being a kid in the 90's I was really worried about Adelaide winning more Premierships than West Coast, and then there was the 05/06 Preliminary finals.

I'd say West Coast's biggest rivalry has become Collingwood.

9 finals, 8 of which were decided by less than 20 points, including a draw, a game in extra time, a GF with a 5 point margin and a gutsy 1 point win away from home.

Two big clubs that have a long history of sustained success.

Collingwood supporters might try and deny it and nominate one of their Victorian rivals ahead of West Coast, but if you ask them what their best wins and most painful losses have been over the last 10 years, majority of them would nominate 2020 Elimination Final, 2018 Grand Final and R17 2019 getting an honourable mention.

Although there hasn't been anything or note lately, if Sydney/West Coast are ever back up again at the same time, or play in an important game, I could see a lot of the build up being centred around the rivalry of the mid 00's, and I could see that rivalry being revived in the future.

Fremantle aren't really our rivals, more like our punching bags.

In my warped psyche:

I see Eagles v Adelaide as a battle of the brothers. The Crows are my brothers who I want to succeed.

I see Eagles v Collingwood or Richmond as upstarts v established institutionally supported status quo. The Magpies are lovable rogues and awesome rivals who I respect immensely. The Tigers are unloveable rogues who I respect.

The Dockers aren’t our biggest rival. I want to respect them but can’t until they win something. My English wife finds it funny I never want anything purple in the house as it represents mediocrity.

I think in my opinion these are our biggest rivals:

1: Geelong. To hold the record of the biggest losing margin has got to convince you all that whenever we play at the cattery we want to smash the cats, as do they with us. Since 2018-Present Day, the two clubs always have triumphs and massive heartbreaks after the siren and on the big stage in Finals. Also they’re my cousins’ team.

2: St Kilda, for two reasons. First, they always go down to the wire, and most of them result in a Saints victory for most of those years. Not so much now however, so it works two ways I guess? Second, the names, culture, and fans; completely opposite. Hence why there’s a rivalry.

3: Collingwood, for the reason above, and of course the Queen’s Birthday clash. Both fanbases hate the hell out of each other, because they’re opposites. However, it’s not as high as other clubs (probably a me thing since I don’t hate Collingwood as much as the two teams above.

1: Geelong. To hold the record of the biggest losing margin has got to convince you all that whenever we play at the cattery we want to smash the cats, as do they with us. Since 2018-Present Day, the two clubs always have triumphs and massive heartbreaks after the siren and on the big stage in Finals. Also they’re my cousins’ team.

2: St Kilda, for two reasons. First, they always go down to the wire, and most of them result in a Saints victory for most of those years. Not so much now however, so it works two ways I guess? Second, the names, culture, and fans; completely opposite. Hence why there’s a rivalry.

3: Collingwood, for the reason above, and of course the Queen’s Birthday clash. Both fanbases hate the hell out of each other, because they’re opposites. However, it’s not as high as other clubs (probably a me thing since I don’t hate Collingwood as much as the two teams above.
Was it also Geelong who gave you the “bruise free footy” tag?

In my warped psyche:

I see Eagles v Adelaide as a battle of the brothers. The Crows are my brothers who I want to succeed.

I see Eagles v Collingwood or Richmond as upstarts v established institutionally supported status quo. The Magpies are lovable rogues and awesome rivals who I respect immensely. The Tigers are unloveable rogues who I respect.

The Dockers aren’t our biggest rival. I want to respect them but can’t until they win something. My English wife finds it funny I never want anything purple in the house as it represents mediocrity.
For a neutral supporter in WA, this sums up an Eagles fans attitude towards Freo perfectly.
Utter contempt.

I think there is a difference between rivalries that can be a few years of good games and then the longer term ingrained stuff.

If we held proper, long term grudges like they do in many overseas sports leagues, then Geelong would have Essendon at the top of the list for sure, given they didn't want to let us back into the comp after we missed a couple of years in ww2.

But it seems we tend to get over these things long term. As much as part of me wishes we had some Celtic Rangers type rivalry here, the fact that we can sit or stand amongst opposition and fellow supporters alike at the game is something we should all cherish.

If we held proper, long term grudges like they do in many overseas sports leagues, then Geelong would have Essendon at the top of the list for sure, given they didn't want to let us back into the comp after we missed a couple of years in ww2.
Wow. Please tell me more about this.

You think we hate the hell out of you? Ok!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. Please tell me more about this.

Just stuff I've heard others say, hard to find facts and maybe it was even Carlton, soz if that's the case.

Will have to look it up. Pretty sure North went in to bat for the cats. The original reason for leaving the comp was transportation issues between Geelong and Melbourne

Just stuff I've heard others say, hard to find facts and maybe it was even Carlton, soz if that's the case.

Will have to look it up. Pretty sure North went in to bat for the cats. The original reason for leaving the comp was transportation issues between Geelong and Melbourne
I only ask because Essendon were forced to miss seasons due to the wars, while others kept playing !!. Please don’t think I was being confrontational.

I only ask because Essendon were forced to miss seasons due to the wars, while others kept playing !!. Please don’t think I was being confrontational.
It's an interesting part of the game's history.

Who knows there could have been legit reasons, maybe expense getting there, etc.

Especially in www I think there was a bit of agro about some clubs staying on, perhaps they had more "cowards" or "fortunate sons" who got out of fighting.

It's an interesting part of the game's history.

Who knows there could have been legit reasons, maybe expense getting there, etc.

Especially in www I think there was a bit of agro about some clubs staying on, perhaps they had more "cowards" or "fortunate sons" who got out of fighting.
Yep, I have heard that one, IE, the expense during war rationing , of getting down to The Cattery.

My observations since I have followed footy. For Carlton:
1970's: Richmond
1980's: Collingwood
1990's: Essendon
Recent years: For more senior Carlton folk it's mainly Collingwood, for the younger ones Essendon.

I wouldn't consider any club to be a rival to North, but I've noticed that many clubs' supporters sure spend a lot of time clarifying that they totally don't care about North lol

I wouldn't consider any club to be a rival to North, but I've noticed that many clubs' supporters sure spend a lot of time clarifying that they totally don't care about North lol

Haha yeah when someone has to come out and explicitly state that a team is "irrelevant" then they probably are relevant to them...

I think there is a difference between rivalries that can be a few years of good games and then the longer term ingrained stuff.

But it seems we tend to get over these things long term. As much as part of me wishes we had some Celtic Rangers type rivalry here, the fact that we can sit or stand amongst opposition and fellow supporters alike at the game is something we should all cherish.
I lived in Glasgow for 2 years.
Believe me, you don't want that rivalry.
Aside from the violence, as an outsider living amongst it, it's stupid, and a bit embarrassing frankly.
I couldn't wait to get back amongst the AFL.

Haha yeah when someone has to come out and explicitly state that a team is "irrelevant" then they probably are relevant to them...

That's straight out of the playbook of a lot of eagles fans. Always at pains to point out how little they care about Freo to try wind us up.

Carlton is emerging as a rival for us at the moment. I almost hate them more than the eagles at the moment. That win earlier in the year was very sweet and the loss recently was very hard to take. It sickens me that I have to barrack for them in the next couple of games to help us get top 4.

Their fans will say it's one sided, but they sure seem to infest Freo threads on here a lot for a supporter base who aren't thinking about us. And their team sure seems to lift their intensity every time we play. I look at the utter dross they dish up against some other clubs and it's a world away from the ferocious team I see every time we play them.

Last edited:
Trust me, you'll be hearing about how Maynard was blocked and some other made up unfair advantages you had because they ****ed up a 5 goal lead in a home grand final.
yeah right kinda like how we keep hearing about lions robbed by advantage call in 23 hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Each club's biggest rival/s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back