Each club's biggest rival/s

Remove this Banner Ad

going by who I assume most fans of each club hate the most...as an actual club, rather than just a rivalry between two sets of players such as the Eagles v Swans rivalry of the mid 2000s

Adelaide--- Port Adelaide
Brisbane--- Collingwood
Carlton--- Collingwood
Collingwood--- Carlton=Richmond
Essendon--- 1.Carlton 2.Collingwood
Fremantle--- West Coast
Geelong--- Hawthorn
Gold Coast--- ?
GWS--- 1.Bulldogs 2.Sydney
Hawthorn--- 1.Essendon 2.Geelong
Melbourne--- Collingwood?
North Melbourne--- Essendon
Port Adelaide--- 1.Adelaide 2.Collingwood
Richmond--- 1.Collingwood 2.Carlton
St.Kilda--- Collingwood?
Sydney--- ?
West Coast--- 1.Fremantle 2.Essendon
Western Bulldogs--- Essendon
Carlton and Hawthorn by a mile in front of Collingwood. Our rivalry with Collingwood is more a formality rather than hatred. Carlton and Hawthorn however...

I am a little confused with this narrative that Richmond and Port 'hate' eaxh other? What is their to hate?

Carlton - Stopped us in 72 and 82. Two years we were favourites to win. Eliminated us in 13' from 9th. But on the flip side we've got a 21-6 record against them, spank em round one every year and have beaten them in 4 grand finals.

Collingwood - 27,28,29 premierships all won against Richmond. 18' Prelim Final. Landing Hafey when we snatched Minogue, Lou Richards and Jack Dyer going off. Flip side? The spanking in 1980, not beating us in finals in more than 70 years and us contributing nicely to the wobbly era by belting them in the 60s-80s.

Essendon - Windy Hill Brawl, that sweet 95' Semi Final victory that was our only highlight in 30 years. 😒 The Sheedy/Hardwick trading places story. Dreamtime at the G.

Hell even Adelaide, there's some history now since we nearly broke them.

With Port its ummm
- Troy Chaplin aeroplane celebration.
- The abomination of an Elimination Final in 2014.
- Their small cameo in the midst of our dynasty.

Maybe our rookie listing of Matt Thomas or their poaching of Jay Schultz makes this rivalry 'heated'.

Give me a spell lol. Maybe they had a fantastic rivalry with Glenelg and we now the tiger team 🤣

I get the feeling of "hate" is more between the players, not the supporters.

Most Port supporters loved Richmond in 2017. Whilst all people can ajudge that many of their supporters have become intolerable ****wits on bigfooty since, this is not held in the wider community, especially in Adelaide where Richmond supporters aren't that prevalent.

I get the feeling of "hate" is more between the players, not the supporters.

Most Port supporters loved Richmond in 2017. Whilst all people can ajudge that many of their supporters have become intolerable *******s on bigfooty since, this is not held in the wider community, especially in Adelaide where Richmond supporters aren't that prevalent.

Maybe.

Lynch, Hartlett, Duursma,Cotchin, I see something there. Maybe something in junior years.

But I love Hinkley, respect Boak and love Dixon too. I'm sure the hatred your supporters have for Richmond isn't any more or less than how the rest of the comp feels about us, hate everyone on our list, respect Benny and Dusty.

As for Port supporters in Melbourne, well its simply maths. There are 9 Victorian teams and two bastard child's (Sydney/Brisbane) who carry the support. Very rare to find many interstate supporters of any team down here.

Haha I think it’s led to some cracking matches. I remember one (maybe 2016) where Sammy Mitchell got decked by a North player, Sicily kicked about 5 second half goals, Majak took some ripping marks and A north defender successfully ran down Cyril, tearing his own hamstring in the process. The whole game ended with a high free kick inside 50 to Cyril I think, and the North fans nearly stormed the ground.
Compete for Tassie Govt money? Should get a Govt free pass from suspensions when they play in that state. Draw a crowd then... Boags, Bangers n Biff!

Richmond have stopped Carlton frkm winning 4 grand finals.

They have a 21-6 record against Carlton in finals.

Carlton absolutely loathe Richmond, without Richmond they'd no doubt have 20 premierships.
Mid 60's to early 80's We had trade bad blood with Pies and finals bad blood with the Blues. Blues were the wealthy / rich gloaters, Tiges the working class gloaters and Pies the "income poor" haters. Plenty of spite and emotion in this 20 yr period between the 3. Then the master of the rivalry, Sheedy, went to the Bombers. Rivalries were redefined.

That's actually a really fair call. The absence of any real animosity is probably also based around the fact that the Hawks (30 years of!) dominance over pretty much everyone happened to be during Richmond's (30 years of!) struggle - we simply weren't competitive enough to warrant a rivalry against anyone as good as the Hawks. Even in 2013-15 when we'd kinda got our act together and made finals we didn't actually play the Hawks in any of those finals matches, so it wasn't hard to admire them.
Surprisingly, over time, we tend to pair games with the hawks over the season. A mate and Hawks supporter used to be happy that the Hawks had dropped a regular season game to the Tiges because in that year they tended to win the granny! Not checked this out, but it feels about right. Agree also that Hawks / Tiges is about as far away from a rivalry as any team Vs GC.

Kane Cornes reckons Richmond is Port's most hated opponent, although I can't say it runs both ways.
The whole of SA including Kane knows it is a State teams rivalry.... the Cornes Family, the media, the efforts from Adelaide to hinder Port from entering the AFL are just a few issues. Wine vs beer. This is deep one diluted only by lesser coverage from Vic media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond rivals Carlton then Collingwood. People claiming Port as a rival are kidfing themselves. Port wanted a rivalry with Richmond unfortunately no one at Richmond knew anything about it anf had no interest in it.

The Geelong - St Kilda one was pretty intense for a while. What started it off was their attitude after they beat us in the pre-season grand final in 2004. Captain and coach didn't even crack a smile. Geelong stirred the pot in round 18 that year when they refused to move their home game from Kardinia Park to the Docklands. AFL created the perfect storm in 2009 both teams undefeated after 13 games. That game was a cracker. Unfortunately for St Kilda their premiership aspirations for 2009 got rained on in the grand final (literally). They will be forever saying that they would have won if the game was at Docklands. Since then there has been a couple of close ones, a couple of thrashings and even a draw.

It started before that.

Don't forget how much hype St.Kilda were getting - remember they had the best list ever. We beat them by a lot in early 2002 at Geelong (over 100 points from memory), then dared to beat them late in 2003. Can't recall who it was but someone said at Geelong that they had good young players too. Which was close to heretical at the time. You're right it definitely spiked after that 2004 pre-season, and then they thrashed us in Round 1.

There were some good moments after that. We beat them in the return match at Geelong in 2004 (when Scarlett ran the length of the ground to soccer a goal), in 2005 when we ran over the top of them in the last quarter at Etihad, and in 2006 or so when Grant "doesn't rate ruckmen" Thomas watched Ottens and King murder them. Then of course came 2007-2009. They got one back in the 2010 finals, but overall, it worked out well for us.

You have to be successful to have a rival, Hawthorn versus Essendon stands out as does Hawthorn and Geelong, but the changing
times have seen a lot more interaction between teams and lots of players recruited from the same clubs and programs. Rivalry
seems these days to be more fan driven as the game is seen as more of a business and less tribal

One of the better Geelong posters summed it up - they run 12K and get paid.

That's pretty much it now.

As an Essendon supporter born in 91 I honestly don’t care about Carlton or Hawthorn for me it’s collingwood I suppose because of all the very close Anzac games over the years that I’ve been lucky enough to attend 🤷‍♂️ At games though Carlton supporters seem to be feral as, So either they still really hate us or that’s just normal Carlton fans 😂🤷‍♂️

As an Essendon supporter born in 91 I honestly don’t care about Carlton or Hawthorn for me it’s collingwood I suppose because of all the very close Anzac games over the years that I’ve been lucky enough to attend 🤷‍♂️ At games though Carlton supporters seem to be feral as, So either they still really hate us or that’s just normal Carlton fans 😂🤷‍♂️
Using your ideology then, no one in their right mind would consider Essendon a rival

I am a little confused with this narrative that Richmond and Port 'hate' eaxh other? What is their to hate?

Carlton - Stopped us in 72 and 82. Two years we were favourites to win. Eliminated us in 13' from 9th. But on the flip side we've got a 21-6 record against them, spank em round one every year and have beaten them in 4 grand finals.

Collingwood - 27,28,29 premierships all won against Richmond. 18' Prelim Final. Landing Hafey when we snatched Minogue, Lou Richards and Jack Dyer going off. Flip side? The spanking in 1980, not beating us in finals in more than 70 years and us contributing nicely to the wobbly era by belting them in the 60s-80s.

Essendon - Windy Hill Brawl, that sweet 95' Semi Final victory that was our only highlight in 30 years. 😒 The Sheedy/Hardwick trading places story. Dreamtime at the G.

Hell even Adelaide, there's some history now since we nearly broke them.

With Port its ummm
- Troy Chaplin aeroplane celebration.
- The abomination of an Elimination Final in 2014.
- Their small cameo in the midst of our dynasty.

Maybe our rookie listing of Matt Thomas or their poaching of Jay Schultz makes this rivalry 'heated'.

Give me a spell lol. Maybe they had a fantastic rivalry with Glenelg and we now the tiger team 🤣
For some unknown reason they still take great delight at Cotch from that elimination final 6 years ago, the fact he has since captained 3 premierships seems lost on them. Strange.

going by who I assume most fans of each club hate the most...as an actual club, rather than just a rivalry between two sets of players such as the Eagles v Swans rivalry of the mid 2000s

Adelaide--- Port Adelaide
Brisbane--- Collingwood
Carlton--- Collingwood
Collingwood--- Carlton=Richmond
Essendon--- 1.Carlton 2.Collingwood
Fremantle--- West Coast
Geelong--- Hawthorn
Gold Coast--- ?
GWS--- 1.Bulldogs 2.Sydney
Hawthorn--- 1.Essendon 2.Geelong
Melbourne--- Collingwood?
North Melbourne--- Essendon
Port Adelaide--- 1.Adelaide 2.Collingwood
Richmond--- 1.Collingwood 2.Carlton
St.Kilda--- Collingwood?
Sydney--- ?
West Coast--- 1.Fremantle 2.Essendon
Western Bulldogs--- Essendon

I'd put Essendon right up with, if not above, Collingwood.
Check the Carlton board: the Pies don't have their own thread, but the * sure do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Each club's biggest rival/s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back