Eagles Captain In Gun Brouha

Remove this Banner Ad

Footballers quizzed over nighclub clash - The Age

By Luke Eliot
May 4, 2005

West Coast Eagles captain Ben Cousins and star forward Michael Gardiner were yesterday questioned by detectives over January's bloody stabbing and shooting at Perth's Metro City nightclub, which left one man fighting for his life.

Cousins, Gardiner and their lawyer attended city detectives' offices to answer questions about conversations they are believed to have had with one of two men charged with disposing of the gun fired in the fracas.

The men charged are businessman John Kizon and Coffin Cheaters associate David Morris, both of the inner suburb of Northbridge.

Police believe the Eagles stars held the discussions shortly before and immediately after the fight took place in the bowels of Metro City nightclub between a member of the Coffin Cheaters bikie gang, and a Lebanese street gang, Scorpion Boys.

Police allege that Coffin Cheater strongman Troy Mercanti shot Scorpion Boy Nabil Dabag after Dabag stabbed Mr Mercanti - leaving the bikie fighting for his life.

The prosecutor told a bail hearing in the Perth Magistrates Court in February that a hastily arranged clean-up, orchestrated by Mr Kizon, then took place as Mr Mercanti was taken to Royal Perth Hospital.

Coffin Cheater comrade Paul Martino tried to wipe gunshot residue from Mr Mercanti's hands after gaining access to his room by claiming to be his brother, the court was told.

A police source last night confirmed that detectives requested that the pair's presence attend at Curtin House to "assist with inquiries" as part of Operation Gift - the investigation into the Metro City clash.

"They refused to make any comment on their involvement in the matter and the people that are involved in the matter on the advice of their lawyer," the source said.

Sources said Cousins and Gardiner refused to discuss why they were in contact with people allegedly involved in the Metro City clash.

Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett said last night he spoke to three detectives and both players about matter on Monday.

He then asked the players to co-operate with police inquiries.

Mr Nisbett said Cousins and Gardiner were not at the nightclub during the brawl, and they had little knowledge of the incident aside from what they had seen in media reports.

When asked whether the Eagles had instructed Cousins and Gardiner not to associate with Northbridge identities, Mr Nisbett said: "We can't tell any private citizen who they can and can't talk to."

Mr Nisbett said both players had sought legal advice independently of the club.

Three other Eagles players - Andrew Embley, Daniel Kerr and Quinten Lynch - have faced court in the past two years over unrelated late-night incidents.

Embley was cleared of an assault charge, Kerr was convicted of falsifying a prescription and Lynch admitted to a drunken high-speed chase through Perth's southern suburbs.

- West Australian

Milkman said:
Which part of "neither was involved in the incident" are you people having trouble with?

This sounds like John Kizon. He often gets away with with things but most people can put two and two together and realise that this guy is involved in heaps of crime. Gardiner and Cousins have been involved with him on a couple of occasions and people will make their assumptions. Why would you hang out with this guy?

hopeless said:
I don't think anyone is accusing them of doing anything illegal just being stupid :p

That's true, but I'm sure that some of your fellow Dockers fans will be having a fair crack at making them look like war-criminals (I'm sure they've already started at Dockerland). What it really needs is the club to intervene and make an explicit threat in terms of their leadership positions at the club.

Milkman said:
Which part of "neither was involved in the incident" are you people having trouble with?

I'm having trouble with this:

"A WA Police spokesman said today Eagles captain Ben Cousins and ruckman Michael Gardiner had agreed to a request by detectives to attend an interview yesterday but refused to answer any questions on the advice of their lawyer."

One wonders why.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15175641-23210,00.html

And from the Worst:

"Police believe the Eagles stars had discussions (with one of two men involved with disposing of the gun) shortly before and immediately after the fight took place at Metro City nightclub."

Don't bury your head too far in the sand.

jmerino said:
I would much prefer my rabble of a club with back to back toback premierships in the last 5 years thanks, than to have my Captain nehave like yours does continually.

jmerino, I'm no fan of Cousins, never have been; never will be. All I'm saying is that a bit of focus on your team's on-field performance at the moment would be a better idea than focusing on the off-field, off-season performance of another club's players. After all, this is all just allegation at this stage.

Of course you're happy reflecting on back to back to back premierships, because, lets face it, at the moment, there's not much to look forward to!

/end rant... removes tongue from cheek!

milo said:
I'm having trouble with this:

"A WA Police spokesman said today Eagles captain Ben Cousins and ruckman Michael Gardiner had agreed to a request by detectives to attend an interview yesterday but refused to answer any questions on the advice of their lawyer."

And this:

"The two players are not believed to have been present at the nightclub during the fight."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15175641-23210,00.html

And from the Worst:

"Police believe the Eagles stars had discussions (with one of two men involved with disposing of the gun) shortly before and immediately after the fight took place at Metro City nightclub."

Don't bury your head too far in the sand.

Official Police Intercept:
"Kizon: Hey Gardy it's JK here.
Gardy: Hey pal, what's up?
Kizon: Just wondering, I'm moving house this weekend, can I store some stuff at your place?
Gardy: Sure mate, what is it?
Kizon: Some old books, my VCR, some clothes, a gun that's just been fired at Metro's, just the usual.
Gardy: No worries mate, I'll leave the key in the meter box!"

pav_is_god said:
The West Coast Eagles have confirmed two of their players have been interviewed by police in relation to a violent brawl at a city nightclub.

Ok. They have also interviewed a series of people I imagine.

Perth detectives interviewed ruckman Michael Gardiner and Eagles' captain Ben Cousins about a stabbing and shooting at Metro City nightclub in January.

Presumption of innocence still prevails I would have thought

A spokesman for the club confirmed the two players had been interviewed but said neither was involved in the incident.

Otherwise they would have been charged.

The spokesman said the club could not tell its players who they could or could not associate with

Quite rightly too.

I particularly like the last bit. If I was paying them that much I'd stop them from seeing their mums if they were dealing drugs.

Where in the article does it say they were dealing drugs? It says they were interviewed in relation to an entirely different situation. Bordering on slanderous comments there.

cocaine.jpg

Official WCE merchandise.

Where in the article does it say they were dealing drugs? It says they were interviewed in relation to an entirely different situation. Bordering on slanderous comments there.[/QUOTE]

I think hes talking about about the mums? ;)

RIPPER_46 said:
I cannot understand how fine upstanding citizens with nothing to hide would not want to help Police with their inquiries.

Ha, get stuck in Rip. If the legal advice given to them was to stay quiet, you would be stupid to go against that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

patsmith said:
Ha, get stuck in Rip. If the legal advice given to them was to stay quiet, you would be stupid to go against that.

Question - Does this mean they have been advised to stay quiet because they may let "something slip" they're not supposed to?

hopeless said:
Question - Does this mean they have been advised to stay quiet because they may let "something slip" they're not supposed to?

How would I know? How would anyone know?

It could very well mean that, as I have little doubt that either of these guys is involved in something, but I don't think they'd actually be involved with the attempted murder of a bikey.

patsmith said:

It could very well mean that, as I have little doubt that either of these guys is involved in something, but I don't think they'd actually be involved with the attempted murder of a bikey.

The Commissioner of Police just wanted a hand with his tips.

patsmith said:

I very much doubt that either. I wouldn't even suggest it. I suppose by not talking you can't incriminate yourself (not that I'm suggesting anything illegal here).

Question is - Why would they be contacted before and after an incident like this?

hopeless said:
I very much doubt that either. I wouldn't even suggest it. I suppose by not talking you can't incriminate yourself (not that I'm suggesting anything illegal here).

Question is - Why would they be contacted before and after an incident like this?

Kiz wanted a hand with his tips too.
The Mafia has an awesome tipping comp, 1st prize is a great big salami and a flagon of chianti.

hopeless said:

That's what I'm wondering about. Perhaps Kizon was just filling them in on events?

patsmith said:
That's what I'm wondering about. Perhaps Kizon was just filling them in on events?

All speculation really. I'm just having a bit of fun :D

patsmith said:
That's true, but I'm sure that some of your fellow Dockers fans will be having a fair crack at making them look like war-criminals (I'm sure they've already started at Dockerland). What it really needs is the club to intervene and make an explicit threat in terms of their leadership positions at the club.
People can come onto these sites and throw s..t till the cows come home, but this is a very serious matter for football in WA and reflects badly on ALL WA clubs. Freo supporters should think twice before posting on this matter I agree with Patsmith, the WCE management should step in and sanction these guys for what is obviously inappropriate behaviour from two high profile WCE players.
BTW Pat there are No posts on this matter at Dockerland, I would hope that Shane will keep a tight lid on this.

patsmith said:
(I'm sure they've already started at Dockerland).

For the record - it has not raised a mention at Dockerland.

So either

i) Dockers fans are not as obsessed with WCE as you think
or

ii) The fact Shane does not allow his site to be filled with trolls based upon spurious unproven allegations, and therefore relys on significant moderation within the site's rules, is a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles Captain In Gun Brouha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back