Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

If you read the thread you'll see that my posts are in response to what others have said and I think I used the phrase "If that's true then..." I'm open for anyone to prove it either way. :rolleyes:

Poor choice of words but Eddie said that Thomas would be a coward to not to turn up to the Copeland. Shit words but goes some way to saying that he was invited.

Shaw probably confirmed why he is being traded by not attending. Showed the class difference between Shaw & Chapman as far as solid citizens go.

Thomas was probably best to stay away. He would have been booed like Carlton supporters gave the bronx cheers to Murphy at Carlton when they were getting flogged by the Bulldogs recently.

I recall Leigh Colbert was told to stay away from Geelong's B&F when he transferred to North Melbourne.
Eddie Betts attended the Carlton B&F and was received quite well ...so that puts paid to your ignorant garbage that you like to spew in every post .

At the same time, how do we know that selfishness was tolerated under the last coach and came home to roost during instances leading into the 2011 finals series? Speculation?

I get what you are saying and it is conceivable that it is true however my point is that it is pretty clear that the hastened succession plan was put together to placate Bucks ambition and Eddies desire to keep him at the pies not MM who it is pretty clear wanted to continue on in the position. Without knowing the finite detail it has been pretty clear that MM was not happy with the deal from its inception despite agreeing to it. At the end of the day it was the "selfishness" of Eddie and Bucks to move MM aside prior to him freely wanting to go that has seen the club end up in the predicament that it is, its been widely report that there is significant division in the playing group with the brat pack (MM aligned group) and bucks camp and given the circumstances and the personalities of the persons involved it should not be a surprise that it has come this.

I personally think that you will go through a bit of pain over the next 12 months for Bucks to get things on his terms and all heading in the one direction then you will benefit from it in the medium to long term future.

How was it selfish to replace Malthouse? When that was put in place Malthouse had spent 9 years at the club with zero flags. Most coaches are lucky to get that long without achieving premiership success.

Don't think there was much wrong with the original plan. In fact it was an extremely good plan.

What was plainly stupid was following through on the implementation when the side was smack bang in the middle of a premiership window.

Things change. You cant plan everything two years out. Malthouse had them in real contention and wanted to stay on. It should have been delayed for the good of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has said both shaw and daisy were invited and they hoped they would attend. It was their choice not to. Swanny in his speech said they were both mates he loves and they should be respected by everyone as premiership players of the club no matter where they go. He initmated he can't understand why they're leaving such a great club but respects their decision and everyone else should too. Luv ya swanny!

Don't think there was much wrong with the original plan. In fact it was an extremely good plan.

What was plainly stupid was following through on the implementation when the side was smack bang in the middle of a premiership window.

Things change. You cant plan everything two years out. Malthouse had them in real contention and wanted to stay on. It should have been delayed for the good of the club.

Maybe mm should have delayed bagging the club publically instead of doing it while he was still at the club.

I reckon they should have changed the plan foo... and moved mm out after his footy show interview half way through his last year... (That was with mm having 3 1/2 years left on the contract he signed).

MM - acted in a way that proved he believed he was bigger that the club.

Good riddance.

Pickering was on radio today and he advised Bud not to attend Hawthorn's B&F. Said there would have been a discussion between Thomas, Connors and the club and the consensus would have been the same as Pickering's.
Bad advice IMO.

Get him to go to the BnF, deliver a speech saying how much he loved his time at hawthorn but it's now time to move on and then half of the hawks fans that have turned on him so viciously with readjust their views and say "yea, thanks for the memories"

This just makes it look like he's running away.

I agree in part but MM had already started to plan his exit at the start of the 2011 season.

Totally disagree, the plan was flawed from the start despite the fact that he agreed (albeit begrudgingly) Malthouse never ever brought into it and never ever allowed the smooth unabated transition that a real succession plan should have delivered, it was Mick's team and only Mick's team and in Mick's own words "Nathan had to wait his time". If Eddie and Buck's really had the clubs best interest at heart then they both would have done the unselfish thing and bided their time until Mick was ready to go or it was Mick's time to go.

I thought I read somewhere they were told not to attend. Thomas always wanted to go but was told in the last couple of days don't bother.
Nope. They both decided not to go. It was their choice. Club wasn't overly bothered by it either...

I get what you are saying and it is conceivable that it is true however my point is that it is pretty clear that the hastened succession plan was put together to placate Bucks ambition and Eddies desire to keep him at the pies not MM who it is pretty clear wanted to continue on in the position. Without knowing the finite detail it has been pretty clear that MM was not happy with the deal from its inception despite agreeing to it. At the end of the day it was the "selfishness" of Eddie and Bucks to move MM aside prior to him freely wanting to go that has seen the club end up in the predicament that it is, its been widely report that there is significant division in the playing group with the brat pack (MM aligned group) and bucks camp and given the circumstances and the personalities of the persons involved it should not be a surprise that it has come this.

I personally think that you will go through a bit of pain over the next 12 months for Bucks to get things on his terms and all heading in the one direction then you will benefit from it in the medium to long term future.

This does get a bit muddled with time but your interpretation is a bit out. No doubt in 2009 MM wanted to continue on. The board was said to mainly want him gone believing 10 yr without a flag was long enough. Up to this point Eddie was MMs big supporter at the club. He cobbled together the 5 year deal to both get Bucks into the club and keep Mick. Without this agreement the other likely scenario was MM gone and Bucks senior coach in 2010. At the time Eddie was Micks biggest ally.

At the time most opposition people thought Pies had erred in keeping Mick. By early 2010 this feeling was stronger as Pies struggled early and Mick had his Milne incident. In light of subsequent events people see things differently but it's wrong to say Eddie pushed Mick aside in 2009 to appoint Buckley. He was a big supporter of both of them

it's fun to see the direction they are going. bit like the republican party, it's heading for the cliff's edge and nothing can stop it.

"club comes first, club comes first, club comes first". hey ed, a club is made up of individuals, from the boot studder to the president. and nathan, you have to have the ability to relate to those individuals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back