Player Watch Elliott Himmelberg - Contract extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We're a developing side that should be looking to upgrade every player on our list that isn't best 22. Depth players are okay in the very short term but we're not a finalist so having to blood a raw player isn't too much of a concern. We don't need depth to go deep into finals because we're not even making finals yet.

I agree grabbing someone expensive like Weideman wouldn't be the go, but it could be we end up with a promising key position player in the draft. If we didn't have so many players contracted for so long - already an issue right now, we have very few list spots - we would have the flexibility to assess the list and make calls every year.

With Himmelberg signed up for 2 years we don't have as much flexibility to improve our list at the end of next year. We're doing once again what many people have criticized us for doing which is keeping players we know aren't good enough on the list for too long, rather than looking to shift and upgrade the list.

I don't honestly think the risk of him being poached is very high, it was probably non existent and even if he did get a good 2 year offer somewhere else it's hardly a big deal if he leaves

But if we’ve matured to the point that we can push out contracted players, then the extra year is actually beneficial. Assuming the player has suitors after another year in the 2s with a few decent AFL injury cover appearances.

But we want to be winning now, and making finals in the next 12-24 months.

That requires depth that can perform to a decent level, not a scrawny 18 year old KPF/ruck who’ll be useless at AFL level.

I hope we still retain McAsey and see if he can develop to AFL standard, especially if we let Frampton go.

We need to at least retain our KPP depth levels, not scorch the earth.

[plus we have enough players out of contract next year - Walker, Brown, Seedsman, Sloane, Crouch, McAsey for starters]

If you think we have the bulk of a contending 22 put together, then you are miles off. And of the OOC players listed, only Tex is legit best 22. Seed obviously done through injury.

My memory of the few times Himmelberg has gone into the ruck was that he was atrocious there. Am I wrong? I'll admit that I'm a bit poisoned on him as a player so it's possible I just assumed he would be rubbish.
Doesn't get as many taps as ROB, but gives far more around the ground.

I can't believe we've done this. 6 years is enough to know he's at best a passable backup. We've got a below average list. You don't fix that by giving everyone all the time they need to reach their ceiling. Need to be taking more bets at the draft.

Even if we're losing 2/3/4 players trade wise, I'd much prefer we went after an unknown quantity. Let alone commit to him for two more years? Big yikes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe we've done this. 6 years is enough to know he's at best a passable backup. We've got a below average list. You don't fix that by giving everyone all the time they need to reach their ceiling. Need to be taking more bets at the draft.

Even if we're losing 2/3/4 players trade wise, I'd much prefer we went after an unknown quantity. Let alone commit to him for two more years? Big yikes!
Thing is we don't have a whole lot of draft collateral to take into this draft especially if we're pursuing Rankine which will likely see our 1st pick eaten up in some form and if we're keen on Michalanney there is a chance our 2nd might be in play. Cadman, Jefferson and Busslinger will go early. Barnett and Keeler every chance to go before our 2nd pick, Lemmey's form has been a worry in his top age year, Scully is years away development wise, Lewis Hayes could go late 1st, gets pretty skinny after that unless you like Will Verrall who would also be a project type who could go surprisingly high. About the only others that might be a chance later/rookie might be Brodie Tuck and Phoenix Foster? Any others you think worth a look at with a later pick?

Last edited:
Thing is we don't have a whole lot of draft collateral to take into this draft especially if we're pursuing Rankine which will likely see our 1st pick eaten up in some form and if we're keen on Michalanney there is a chance our 2nd might be in play. Cadman, Jefferson and Busslinger will go early. Barnett and Keeler every chance to go before our 2nd pick, Lemmey's form has been a worry in his top age year, Scully is years away development wise, Lewis Hayes could go late 1st, gets pretty skinny after that unless you like Will Verrall who would also be a project type who could go surprisingly high. About the only others that might be a chance later/rookie might be Brodie Tuck and Phoenix Foster? Any others you think worth a look at with a later pick?
Sure, but if we can get a bag of chips for him... then we should.

What’s the alternative? Trade in Sam Weideman? All clubs have these depth KPP stocks on their list. 2 years on a minimal contract isn’t impacting our ability to keep or attract players. We also have Gollant developing.

He has played a big part in 3 of our wins this year (Port, Richmond and Eagles), that’s someone more than competent at AFL level as a depth option.

I’d like to see more of Nick Murray in the ruck. The only time I recollect that he was thrown in there by Nicks, he managed to out leap his opponent, be cleaner on ground and his follow up efforts didn’t disappoint to my eye. If his younger brother, Toby who is taller and eligible for this years draft, is anywhere near as good then I’d be grabbing him late in the draft as he doesn’t seem to be on any draft guru’s radar. Bicks has mentioned a liking for him but seems to prefer Verrall, who I like too.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good God... Murray in the ruck sounds like a car accident waiting to happen. The big clumsy galoot would probably end up taking out half the ruck stocks in the AFL! :p

Good God... Murray in the ruck sounds like a car accident waiting to happen. The big clumsy galoot would probably end up taking out half the ruck stocks in the AFL! :p
Didn’t he perform quite well in 2nd ruck when he had to earlier in the season?

Didn’t he perform quite well in 2nd ruck when he had to earlier in the season?

Yeah, he was pretty good from memory. I'm a Nick Murray fan! I just find it amusing how he seems to manage to clumsily collide with someone and send them off injured every other match :p

WTF are you smokimg we just contracted him for a further 2 years.
I actually have no idea why Himmelberg himself would want to do this.

Next couple of years if he's not best 22 in our club (and he won't be unless we get an injury), surely there's another club where he would be in the 22?

So he's content with being cover for Thilthorpe?

(And if we don't trade frampton out, we'll all fall in love with him over the pre-season again so he'll start the season higher ranked than Himmelberg).

Weird stuff. We could have got something for him too.

Next couple of years if he's not best 22 in our club (and he won't be unless we get an injury), surely there's another club where he would be in the 22?

(And if we don't trade frampton out, we'll all fall in love with him over the pre-season again so he'll start the season higher ranked than Himmelberg).

Easier for the club to get something for him in a trade if he wants out at the end of next season with a better offer. I am also assuming the contract is heavily performance based.

A very surprising signing, and one that indicates we're definitely trading people out of the club, or paying out contracts. Has a real 'we're tightening the noose around our neck' feel to it.

As for Himmelberg, he's solid depth, I suppose. Whilst I'm not big on the idea of retaining depth as we're currently a bottom 4/5 side, some cover in case of injuries could be handy.

You can’t think we can fix all our list issues by the end of this trade / draft period

And if we upgraded him with a trade does the player coming in take Thilthorpe’s spot ? No

So the cheapest and easiest thing to do is keep him on our list given he’s pretty decent insurance and overall form is tracking upwards even if it’s in a treacle fashion

Also if we are trading for Rankine there’s a fair chance we won’t be taking too many talls in this draft with only Michaelanney coming in at 190cm …. Maybe we might take a pure ruck late / rookie list which is more for ROB role long term

Maybe he Thinks he could still be the 3rd man when Tex is gone. He wouldn't have a guarantee of being best 22 somewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Elliott Himmelberg - Contract extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back