Player Watch Elliott Himmelberg - Contract extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a good signing as long as the wage is low

Remembering he’s not best 22 …why would you get someone better unless they were to replace Thilthorpe ( which won’t be happening ) or ROB

Could have chased Weideman , paid him more and for longer term , given up something to get him and he isn’t really any better …. I’d say he’s not as good

Himmelberg has actually had some reasonable AFL performances this year and he’s rucking v well in the sanfl and getting loads of football

We can now trade or or more of Frampton / Mcasey easier if we get decent offers as well

We're a developing side that should be looking to upgrade every player on our list that isn't best 22. Depth players are okay in the very short term but we're not a finalist so having to blood a raw player isn't too much of a concern. We don't need depth to go deep into finals because we're not even making finals yet.

I agree grabbing someone expensive like Weideman wouldn't be the go, but it could be we end up with a promising key position player in the draft. If we didn't have so many players contracted for so long - already an issue right now, we have very few list spots - we would have the flexibility to assess the list and make calls every year.

With Himmelberg signed up for 2 years we don't have as much flexibility to improve our list at the end of next year. We're doing once again what many people have criticized us for doing which is keeping players we know aren't good enough on the list for too long, rather than looking to shift and upgrade the list.

I don't honestly think the risk of him being poached is very high, it was probably non existent and even if he did get a good 2 year offer somewhere else it's hardly a big deal if he leaves

I know he's inconsistent and can be cumbersome but he's shown enough signs here and there, plus he's still only 24. At the very least, gives some of our young SANFL boys somewhere to kick too. Still a decent option if Thilthorpe, Fog go down.
Cumbersome isn't a word I'd associate with Himmelberg he's really quite athletic and moves pretty well for a big bloke.

Now if you were to associate cumbersome with McAsey....

Two years is very, very strange. Reid ain’t very good at the old contract thing, is he

Fine to keep as depth, though. You’d think Fish is gone
Pretty obvious the talk there was interest elsewhere was on the money, likely had a 2 year offer on the table elsewhere.

Himmler just needs to build on his consistency, which he would do if he got a long enough run at it. He seemed to be really building in 2020 but that form was thrown out the window because Billy trained the house down over summer.

He is never going to be a star of the competition but he has a good skill set that would benefit from a run in the 1sts. If he gets that chance now probably depends on injury as i wouldn't play him in front of Thilthorpe or Fog but at least we can give Tex a week off here and there next year and put him in.

As long as we haven't gone stupid on pay, he's an OK signing

2 year deal for a depth player is lunacy. 1 year at the absolute most would have sufficed if we wanted to keep him as a backup. Or a delist re-rookie on 1 year
Obvs other clubs offering 2 year deals

We're a developing side that should be looking to upgrade every player on our list that isn't best 22. Depth players are okay in the very short term but we're not a finalist so having to blood a raw player isn't too much of a concern. We don't need depth to go deep into finals because we're not even making finals yet.

I agree grabbing someone expensive like Weideman wouldn't be the go, but it could be we end up with a promising key position player in the draft. If we didn't have so many players contracted for so long - already an issue right now, we have very few list spots - we would have the flexibility to assess the list and make calls every year.

With Himmelberg signed up for 2 years we don't have as much flexibility to improve our list at the end of next year. We're doing once again what many people have criticized us for doing which is keeping players we know aren't good enough on the list for too long, rather than looking to shift and upgrade the list.

I don't honestly think the risk of him being poached is very high, it was probably non existent and even if he did get a good 2 year offer somewhere else it's hardly a big deal if he leaves
He might be the one we want to keep out of Frampton and him ( and maybe Mcasey )

Plenty of room to draft / develop other talls but it might not happen this off season so important to have depth

The thing is we likely know the types that we will have coming in this draft / trade ( eg rankine ) and it’s necessary to keep at least one of Himmelberg Mcasey and Frampton around

But we want to be winning now, and making finals in the next 12-24 months.

That requires depth that can perform to a decent level, not a scrawny 18 year old KPF/ruck who’ll be useless at AFL level.

I hope we still retain McAsey and see if he can develop to AFL standard, especially if we let Frampton go.

We need to at least retain our KPP depth levels, not scorch the earth.

[plus we have enough players out of contract next year - Walker, Brown, Seedsman, Sloane, Crouch, McAsey for starters]

Glad we kept him, as depth he's pretty valuable and has had multiple good games this season as clearly our best backup forward. 5th in our goalkicking after playing half a season, got coaches votes twice. Also starting to genuinely dominate the SANFL, as you'd expect for a borderline AFL-quality player coming into his peak years. Last 5 games there he's averaging 17.6 disposals, 1.2 goals and 7.6 hitouts which is very good for a forward/ruck. Took 5 contested marks on the weekend too.

Should end up being the primary backup for Thilthorpe over the next couple of years even if Gollant overtakes him for general forward stuff, and has definitely shown more than anyone else we have in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has an uncanny knack of playing 10 good minutes of football, generally in the last qtr, out of an entire game..

Has actually helped get us over the line in a couple of our wins this season with a couple of these 10 minute spells..
After being completely invisible for the rest of the game.

But apart from that he’s achieved little else.

What is it 6 years on the list?. Now to be 8..

List clogger. But we have bugger all KPF or KPD depth.

ITK poster on the freo board said freo had absolutely no interest in himm at all.. was all just media BS, who probably got a “leak” from his manager who was trying to give negotiations with the crows a but of a nudge along..

I'd rather keep the 'Heavenly Mountain' than Billy Frampton..only 2 years, I'm fine with this

Has an uncanny knack of playing 10 good minutes of football, generally in the last qtr, out of an entire game..

Has actually helped get us over the line in a couple of our wins this season with a couple of these 10 minute spells..
After being completely invisible for the rest of the game.

But apart from that he’s achieved little else.

What is it 6 years on the list?. Now to be 8..

List clogger. But we have bugger all KPF or KPD depth.

ITK poster on the freo board said freo had absolutely no interest in himm at all.. was all just media BS, who probably got a “leak” from his manager who was trying to give negotiations with the crows a but of a nudge along..
How does he compare to similar depth types of same role at other clubs ?

I’d say pretty well and also pretty cheap

Is getting some 20 possession games at sanfl level and playing more a dual role

Has kicked 4 twice in 2 good wins this year , even the WC game he lifted and nailed his chances

We have far more other problems than Himmelberg being depth in next 2 years and maybe more if he improves a bit

It depends, but with a 1 year deal you could assess the options after every season. With 2 years we are locked into him even if a better player becomes available next year
I am sure that we would like all of our fringe players (Strachan, Himmelberg and Frampton) on rolling one year contracts.

I am also certain that there are other AFL clubs willing to give these players 2 year or more.

There is no suggestion that we are paying Himmelberg big bucks. The next step is to draft some Kids to develop in these roles and hopefully challenge those playing in the Ones (ROB, Murray, Tex).

How does he compare to similar depth types of same role at other clubs ?

I’d say pretty well and also pretty cheap

Is getting some 20 possession games at sanfl level and playing more a dual role

Has kicked 4 twice in 2 good wins this year , even the WC game he lifted and nailed his chances

We have far more other problems than Himmelberg being depth in next 2 years and maybe more if he improves a bit
I still think two years on the senior list could really come back to bite us from a list management perspective, but if he was getting interest from other clubs, we mightn't have had much of a choice. Any replacement backup KPP we could've gotten through a trade would've been given two years anyway

As long as he is a backup and only a backup from this point onwards (the good thing is he could pretty easily fill in for any of Fog, Tex or RT), it should be okay though. You'd think this puts our supposed interest in Weideman to an end

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Elliott Himmelberg - Contract extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back