Preview Essendon vs Collingwood, Melbourne Cricket Ground, 13/07/2014

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our mids have bullied hocking for years so he will be the one opposition player who we won't be taking notes off

Indeed they do, much to my chagrin (although he's missed the last 2 IIRC).

Doesn't change the fact that he's awesome at what he does and Macaffer is, well, let's call it 'untidy'

Hawks always concede 30+ possessions to Swan and Pendlebury and they have no problem winning - We do the same and lose. I expect McCaffer to go to Heppell as he usually goes to inside midfielders before outside midfielders.

Hawks always concede 30+ possessions to Swan and Pendlebury and they have no problem winning - We do the same and lose. I expect McCaffer to go to Heppell as he usually goes to inside midfielders before outside midfielders.
I think the main difference is that they kick goals against you guys, at least one of Pendlebury or swan always seems to kick 3 or 4 against you, beams has once also I think, that's the biggest difference.

Just heard that beams was actually at a funeral so he'd be playing if that's correct.
I'd go as far as saying that he'd be our most important player(other than Cloke) these days, he does the majority of the clearance work and with him out it leaves a huge hole in our midfield, more so than Goddard would id think just because of the role he plays and the other midfielders we have, so I'm glad he is in otherwise id be lining up for another loss.

On swan, I really think he isn't to much of a threat in the midfield at the moment and will be playing 80% in the forward line so I wouldn't be sending zaka to him like some are suggesting unless you want him to become a back pocket, maybe baguley when he is in the forward line and then when he goes through the middle zaka could pick him up?

Come on, Elliot isn't in BJ's league. Elliot's a good player and can dominate a game with some regularity. BJ was the best player in the comp at his peak.

Relative importance to both sides this year, he is an equal out to BJ. He's kicked 30 in a little over half a season, next to Clokes 31 & given our inclination to leak goals to small forwards over the years id say he's a massive out for them.

BJ's nowhere near the player of 2010 lets be honest.

Relative importance to both sides this year, he is an equal out to BJ. He's kicked 30 in a little over half a season, next to Clokes 31 & given our inclination to leak goals to small forwards over the years id say he's a massive out for them.

Again, ridiculous. Elliot wouldn't be in their top 5 most important players. BJ is top 2.

And he's pretty bloody close to his 2010 levels tbh. His form at Essendon has been chronically underrated.

Just because he's not in 2010 form doesn't mean he's useless or ineffectual. He won the Crichton last year. You can't really compare mids and forwards so easily. Sure, Elliott is a big out, but not the same. Maybe a Pendlebury or Beams. Goddard's importance to us is heightened by Watson's absence.

Indeed they do, much to my chagrin (although he's missed the last 2 IIRC).

Doesn't change the fact that he's awesome at what he does and Macaffer is, well, let's call it 'untidy'
he has taken more big time scalps than hocking has this year. dont go calling macaffer 'untidy' because all taggers use these tactics.

Again, ridiculous. Elliot wouldn't be in their top 5 most important players. BJ is top 2.

And he's pretty bloody close to his 2010 levels tbh. His form at Essendon has been chronically underrated.

Your not listening & neither is the bloke below you. I'm not comparing the two players ability, just the importance on what both bring to each side. A 30 goal return to a side in this day & age is invaluable, especially in a side that only has a 2 goal avenue (him & cloke) given Reid cant get on the park & White is useless.

If Beams or Pendlebury aren't kicking goals, then Elliotts absence is felt even deeper.

Your not listening & neither is the bloke below you. I'm not comparing the two players ability, just the importance on what both bring to each side. A 30 goal return to a side in this day & age is invaluable, especially in a side that only has a 2 goal avenue (him & cloke) given Reid cant get on the park & White is useless.

If Beams or Pendlebury aren't kicking goals, then Elliotts absence is felt even deeper.
But we lose our BnF from the midfield which impacts us all over the ground. Elliott is a good finisher but it's not the same. They can get another bloke to get on the end of some. Bags would've shut him down anyway. Can't replace a Goddard though.

Agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he has taken more big time scalps than hocking has this year. dont go calling macaffer 'untidy' because all taggers use these tactics.

I am not so sure about that, I reckon you will find Hocking hasn't been beaten many times this year, he goes about his business without all the hype because he generally does it within the rules and beats them fair and square, whereas Macaffer gets all the media attention because of the tactics he uses create strong talking points. The end result is both do there jobs really well it's just one goes relatively unnoticed and the other is in the spotlight.

Last edited:

No, most taggers play within the rules.

I was talking about importance as well. Beej would be our second most important player behind Jobe. Which of Pendlebury, Beams, Cloke, Sidebottom, Reid and Ball is Elliot dislodging in the importance scale?

Goddard is of way more importance to Essendon than Elliott is to Collingwood, yeah he has kicked 30 goals for the year but 20 of those have come in 5 matches and his best two results (5 against Geelong and 4 against the Dogs) have come in losses, there has been plenty of instances where he has little impact and Collingwood have still won, not sure we can say the same about Goddard.

I was talking about importance as well. Beej would be our second most important player behind Jobe. Which of Pendlebury, Beams, Cloke, Sidebottom, Reid and Ball is Elliot dislodging in the importance scale?

Only have to look at the 3 games BJ missed early in the season to see how important he is to us (Fremantle, St Kilda and Collingwood) all losses.

BJ is a massive loss.. massive but I still think this is a game that we can, and need to, win.. I don't give a toss about margin.. but a win this week gives our season a fighting chance.

Turn it into a low scoring slog and hope that our 60 points beats their 59 points... something like last week would be nice.

Time for Melksham and Myers to really step up.

I'd be dropping Ambrose for Fletcher.. he looks cooked and might do with the rest.

Also anyone know how Gleeson is tracking?

Also that 3 game period where he was out is the only time we have lost multiple games in a row this season.

BJ is a massive loss.. massive but I still think this is a game that we can, and need to, win.. I don't give a toss about margin.. but a win this week gives our season a fighting chance.

Turn it into a low scoring slog and hope that our 60 points beats their 59 points... something like last week would be nice.

Time for Melksham and Myers to really step up.

I'd be dropping Ambrose for Fletcher.. he looks cooked and might do with the rest.

Also anyone know how Gleeson is tracking?

I thought Myers really stepped up last week against Port, I reckon Hardingham should make way for Fletcher, wasn't really a night for a player like Ambrose against and he deserves another crack. Gleeson is still listed as 2 weeks away from returning, might see him in the seniors for the last couple of H&A matches.

Ambrose is so important structurally because he fills two roles that we don't have any great alternatives for, allowing us to pick an extra player. If he goes out, we need to pick an extra tall for the forwardline and an extra Kommer maniac for the forwardline.

I'd rather play a kid who's flagging and also have room for Zac Merrett to get another game than have to drop someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back