Preview Essendon vs Collingwood, Melbourne Cricket Ground, 13/07/2014

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports from Fox Sports Reporter Julian de Stoop suggesting that Collingwood midfielder Dayne Beams and Ben Reid have failed to train today. Luke Ball and Jamie Elliott trained away from the main group.

Interesting.

Reports from Fox Sports Reporter Julian de Stoop suggesting that Collingwood midfielder Dayne Beams and Ben Reid have failed to train today. Luke Ball and Jamie Elliott trained away from the main group.

Interesting.

very interesting news! Elliott has dominated us in recent times

very interesting news! Elliott has dominated us in recent times
He's kicked 5 goals in 4 games against us, and been held to 1 goal or less 3 of those times.

He's kicked 5 goals in 4 games against us, and been held to 1 goal or less 3 of those times.

Oh really, I guess stats don't lie. Does feel like he has played some purple patches against us though

Captain this week is interesting. Generally speaking, I don't think matchday captain really means a great deal, but it will be an insight into the clubs future plans.

Easy option is Stanton - it's painless and acknowledges an outstanding servant of the club. If he doesn't get it, is that insulting?

The other two options (at least in my eyes) are Myers and Heppell. Because Heppell freakin oozes leadership, I actually reckon they'll go Myers. He's been given a lot more responsibility from a leadership perspective - I reckon it's time to give him a tap on the shoulder that tells him 'hey, this is going to be there in the near future if you want it'.

Oh really, I guess stats don't lie. Does feel like he has played some purple patches against us though
He kicked 3 against us 1 time. Hardly anything to write home about.

Captain this week is interesting. Generally speaking, I don't think matchday captain really means a great deal, but it will be an insight into the clubs future plans.

Easy option is Stanton - it's painless and acknowledges an outstanding servant of the club. If he doesn't get it, is that insulting?

The other two options (at least in my eyes) are Myers and Heppell. Because Heppell freakin oozes leadership, I actually reckon they'll go Myers. He's been given a lot more responsibility from a leadership perspective - I reckon it's time to give him a tap on the shoulder that tells him 'hey, this is going to be there in the near future if you want it'.

Forget about that captaincy dilemma. On experience Stanton deserves the nod.
Heppell will be busy coping with McCaffer (but he is definitely future captain material)
Hocking will be busy tagging the pies midfield
Yeah Myers/Winderlich would be 2nd in line after Stanton I'd day.

Poll results from the EFC website below......

Who should captain the team this week against Collingwood?

Brent Stanton 18.52% (85 votes)

Dyson Heppell 38.78% (178 votes)

Heath Hocking 5.45% (25 votes)

Jason Winderlich 11.33% (52 votes)

David Myers 7.19% (33 votes)

David Zahrakis 19% (86 votes)

Total Votes: 459

Beams always destroys us, so if he is out that's good news for us. It's usually Beams, Pendlebury and Swan who give us the most trouble out of any team (throw in Sidebottom here and there for good measure)

Agreed. Don't know what Robbo has been watching.
Switching between the dishlickers in Launceston and 'What really happens in Bali'.
Surely we're mature enough not to even comment on the sherry soaked drivel that dribbles out of that peons pie hole..

Also, Beams didn't look right to me last week. Thought it was the head knock from the first Q, lets hope its something a little (just a little) more serious. Very important player. Would almost cancel out the loss of BJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the whole Beams, Ball out thing; that's huge for us. They have 5 starting inside mids (Swan, Pendlebury, Adams and those 2), then Blair (out of form) and J Thomas (not fantastic). The way Essendon should set up if Collingwood use Swan, Pendles, Adams, Blair and Thomas is:

Hocking to Pendlebury (hopefully tag him out of the game)
Melksham to Swan (try to hurt Swan the other way)
Myers, Howlett and Zaharakis to Adams, Blair and Thomas (try to outclass them)

And take advantage on the outside with Chapman, Hibberd, Dempsey (from HB), Ashby and Colyer against Sidebottom, Dwyer and Broomhead

Still a few days to go. I'm expecting Beams to line up.

If we win I'd go as far as saying it would make a bigger statement last week. We need to make the performance vs Port the rule, not the flash-in-the-pan exception we have seen too often.

Heppell captain if not Stanton.

"Heppell will be busy coping with McCaffer"... Welcome to the AFL, Dyson. Things are tough sometimes.

Beams always destroys us, so if he is out that's good news for us. It's usually Beams, Pendlebury and Swan who give us the most trouble out of any team (throw in Sidebottom here and there for good measure)
Out of any team? Buddy! :eek:

Yeah they do really carve us up. Lost 9 out of the last 10 against Collingwood. Something tells me that they made some sort of a pact not to lose against us after ANZAC day 2009

Out of any team? Buddy! :eek:

Yeah they do really carve us up. Lost 9 out of the last 10 against Collingwood. Something tells me that they made some sort of a pact not to lose against us after ANZAC day 2009
Haha forgot about Buddy. They are in the level under him :p

Maybe so. I remember Malthouse at the time labelled his team as "not playing within the ANZAC spirit". They then go on and demolish us every time we played them up until the 1pt game in 2012. So yeah, there is probably a reason as to why they always get up for games against us!

Would we look at lining up something like this if Beams/ball/elliot were out

Hocking to Pendles
Zaka to Swan - have him run off him and try and do damage forward.
Melksham to play really defensive on Sidebottom. Who has done very well against us previously.

Only fair that if Goddard misses than Beams should miss aswell

If Beams and Elliot dont play and we shut down Cloke with our AA FB/CHB Hooker than its hard to see where collingwood score there points? Swan usually kicks 4 against us and thats his only goals for each year it seems

Heppell captain if not Stanton.

"Heppell will be busy coping with McCaffer"... Welcome to the AFL, Dyson. Things are tough sometimes.

Giving a bloke the captaincy for the very first time when the chances are that he'll be dealing with illegal holding and other cheating tactics from Macaffer seems like piling burdens upon him for the sake of it.

Stanton has been a perfectly cromulent captain in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back