Preview Essendon vs Collingwood, Melbourne Cricket Ground, 13/07/2014

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch for the papers writing up stories this week about how bad Collingwood are!
It always happens and has already started today.
Let's pump up Collingwood about losing to the Suns.

We need to be switched on to this, but we never seem to be.
They always come up for us, and we just let them.

Watch for the papers writing up stories this week about how bad Collingwood are!
It always happens and has already started today.
Let's pump up Collingwood about losing to the Suns.

We need to be switched on to this, but we never seem to be.
They always come up for us, and we just let them.

Never mind that GC have only lost to Sydney and Hawthorn at Metricon this year, let's make it about Collingwood.

Let Heppell tag Pendlebury and Hocking to tag McCaffer! By tagging I mean scrag and hang on to him so that he can't get to Heppell, who will have a body on Pendlebury and the whole cuffule will overtake Pendlebury's game. That way we sacrifice Hepp to get Pendlebury out of the game.

I'd back Myers, Zaka and Goddard over the remainder of their midfield, especially with Ryder working amongst them.

I thought one of Melkshams best games (if not his best) was when he was manning Pendles on anzac day - I'd give him the run with again and try to put Hocking on either Sidebottom or Beams

Just had a quick glance at their thread; apparently there isn't one area we can get on top of them in (according to one poster) :straining:. It's as if we didn't just keep the second best offensive side in the league to 60 points at home (when they average 105 points/game normally and 109 points/game at the AO). Also, we kept the best offensive side to 4 goals less than their season average.

But no, we can't get on top of a side who aren't even in the fricken top 8 in terms of offence, when we're the 4th best defensive side in the AFL, when their average score against those sides is 72.

Just had a quick glance at their thread; apparently there isn't one area we can get on top of them in (according to one poster) :straining:. It's as if we didn't just keep the second best offensive side in the league to 60 points at home (when they average 105 points/game normally and 109 points/game at the AO). Also, we kept the best offensive side to 4 goals less than their season average.

But no, we can't get on top of a side who aren't even in the fricken top 8 in terms of offence, when we're the 4th best defensive side in the AFL, when their average score against those sides is 72.
I'm surprised at the amount of posters calling for Swan and Lumumba to be dropped. I'd love it if that happened.

We owe these campaigners. ANZAC Day was simply forgettable. Zaka seems to be in great form, loves playing these guys and has done very well in MCG games this year. Let's hope his pasta dinner at his friends' place is a slightly frosty affair next week ;)

And Joe to receive TWO free kicks this week (yes, staggering to believe, I know). Calling it now.

Would love to see Zaka go 1:1 with Beams.

Zaka > Beams :D

Zaharakis of the last 6 weeks and the Zaharakis that started 2012 and 2013? It is probably about even but he's never been able to put a season together that matches Beams.

Think that people forget that Beams was also one of the "cheats". Did a lot to inflate his stats sheet early on without providing any cover and reasonably often for a net loss for the team.

In: Fletcher, Hibberd, Bellchambers
Out: Hardingham, Ambrose, J.Merrett

B: Baguley, Hooker, Fletcher
HB: Dempsey, Carlisle, Hibberd
C: Stanton, Myers, Zaharakis
HF: Chapman, Hurley, Goddard
F: Winderlich, Daniher, Ryder
Foll: Bellchambers, Hocking, Heppell
Int: Melksham, Colyer, Howlett
Sub: Z.Merrett

Bellchamber IN helps our forward structure and allows the herp to be in full derpage mode. Also Hurls looked dangerous against Port as a forward give him a full game there against the Pies

The biggest problem we have with Collingwood is that we can't seem to bottle them up in close (probably because their clearance players are too good for that shit). Swan, Pendlebury, Beams and Sidebottom always seem to run rampant.

Think that you send Hocking to Swan because he is down and we've got a chance of keeping him down for a change. Have Melsksham go to Pendlebury and let Myers be a wrecking ball going head to head with Beams who is not going to out run him and also won't pay any respect defensively.

Then leave it to them to work out whether they tag Heppell, Goddard or Zaharakis.

Howlett (tackling aside, has had no recent influence) and Ambrose (looked flat against Port) would be in line for dropping/rests but ought to get a reprieve. We need a huge defensive effort from Howlett on Seedsman/Williams and need to hope that Ambrose can get on his bike again to keep the pressure on. J Merrett will also be important keeping the pressure on in our forward half.

While it is always hard to predict when we will include a young player I don't see room this week with forwards being the most likely candidates for omission. Aylett, who has played forward a bit in the last few weeks, is probably the only guy I would bring in for Howlett but his last game was average. Don't see where Ashby, Kav or O'Brien would fit this week and none are suited to being subs.

Will be interesting if Hibberd is not fit and Chapman is suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 2m
B Goddard can accept 1 game, rough conduct K Cornes. J Kennedy can accept 1 game, rough conduct Z Jones. Penalty reduced by good record.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 2m
Paul Chapman cleared match day report striking Robbie Gray – force used below that required for a report. Gray cleared contact with Chapman.

What did Goddard do?

Brendon Goddard, Essendon, has been charged with a Level Two Engaging in Rough Conduct Offence (225 points, two-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Kane Cornes, Port Adelaide, during the first quarter of the Round 16 match between Essendon and Port Adelaide, played at Adelaide Oval on Saturday July 5, 2014.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Port Adelaide Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct (three points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two Offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.

Going up against the pies midfield without Watson or BJ isnt going to be tough, it's going to be nigh on impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back