General Manger of Football Operations - Matthew Pavlich

Senior Coach - Justin Longmuir

Defensive Coach - Matt De Boer
Midfield Coach - Josh Carr
Stoppages and Skills - David Mundy
Ruck Coach - Aaron Sandilands
Forwards Coach - Tendai Mzungu

Bring it on!

Welcome to oompaloompa land in a galaxy far far away.

Fremantle 2021

Chief Executive Officer
- Peter Bell

General Manger of Football Operations - Matthew Pavlich

Senior Coach - Justin Longmuir

Defensive Coach - Matt De Boer
Midfield Coach - Josh Carr
Stoppages and Skills - David Mundy
Ruck Coach - Aaron Sandilands
Forwards Coach - Tendai Mzungu

Bring it on!

What are you smoking?

Reckon Josh Carr is a legitimate chance

Was midfield coach at Port and coached North Adelaide to a premiership
Yeah hope so.
He’s resume does sound alright.
I like guys coming through they have actually coached their own side at the 2nd tier and done well
Plus he was the type of player that tends to do well as coaches
Edit: Legitimate chance to be an assistant next year*

Reckon Josh Carr is a legitimate chance

Was midfield coach at Port and coached North Adelaide to a premiership

Edit: Legitimate chance to be an assistant next year*

Why did Josh move back to SA to begin with? Was that a Brad Hill situation?

If so with some moves expected at Port i'd imagine he would most likely wind up there if he is to go into the AFL system.

Also, hes doing a bang up job with NAFC at the moment.....

Why did Josh move back to SA to begin with? Was that a Brad Hill situation?

If so with some moves expected at Port i'd imagine he would most likely wind up there if he is to go into the AFL system.

Also, hes doing a bang up job with NAFC at the moment.....

Yea another Brad Hill situation and he burnt his bridges with Freo on the way out. So isnt going to happen.

There is an obligation for the club to inform the coaches if they aren't going to be extended beyond the end of the year by the 1st of August, there isn't an obligation to inform the media or public.
I'm curious if we have abided by the Coaches Assn rules and informed the assistants whether their contracts will be renewed or whether we've told them we won't be deciding until end of season?

Guerra left a couple of weeks ago. His decision.

I'm curious if we have abided by the Coaches Assn rules and informed the assistants whether their contracts will be renewed or whether we've told them we won't be deciding until end of season?

Guerra left a couple of weeks ago. His decision.
I don't think Fremantle has a record of doing it's business in the media and it would be most professional that assistants can explore their options without the stigma of being fired by media mid season.

I don't think Fremantle has a record of doing it's business in the media and it would be most professional that assistants can explore their options without the stigma of being fired by media mid season.
No one is fired but contract isn't renewed. However I understand if they don't want to be put under pressure by this being known.

It's confusing what is being reported that the assistants won't be told until the end of year and not 1st August whether their contracts will be renewed or not.

Goes against the Coach's Assn rules which aims to give them a better chance to get a new position.

That can't be good for them or the club if this is true

No one is fired but contract isn't renewed. However I understand if they don't want to be put under pressure by this being known.

It's confusing what is being reported that the assistants won't be told until the end of year and not 1st August whether their contracts will be renewed or not.

Goes against the Coach's Assn rules which aims to give them a better chance to get a new position.

That can't be good for them or the club if this is true
I think it's far more likely that the down side to this is losing coaches who weren't guaranteed a place for 2020 who found another job before being offered a contract next year.

The rules are that the coaches need to know if their contract isn't going to be renewed for the following year by August 1st.

If you're going to review the positions and follow that rule you have to tell them all they won't be renewed, allow them to react to that and should you both agree to terms later they can stay on for 2020.

But like I said, you can't cry foul if you lose someone you wanted to keep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's far more likely that the down side to this is losing coaches who weren't guaranteed a place for 2020 who found another job before being offered a contract next year.

The rules are that the coaches need to know if their contract isn't going to be renewed for the following year by August 1st.

If you're going to review the positions and follow that rule you have to tell them all they won't be renewed, allow them to react to that and should you both agree to terms later they can stay on for 2020.

But like I said, you can't cry foul if you lose someone you wanted to keep.
If you want to keep a coach offer them a contract.

I'm not sure what you're saying by not being guaranteed a place for 2020? They have to know whether they have a contract for 2020 by 1st August. That's either yes or no.

If they don't have one then fair game if they get another position in another club by 2020. Are you saying that if they can't get another position Freo will re employ them even though they don't have a contract now? That would be "putting them on notice" and flogging them with a wet lettuce leaf before re employing them.

If an assistant wants to leave the clubs know by 1st August which is what happened with Ratten and Carecella, so it gives the club plenty of time to get replacements for the following year. However the rules around this may be more clouded?

The best of the assistants are likely to be head hunted to other clubs. For others it's a good reason for to further their knowledge with courses or additional experiences to keep them relevant and valuable.

If you want to keep a coach offer them a contract.

I'm not sure what you're saying by not being guaranteed a place for 2020? They have to know whether they have a contract for 2020 by 1st August. That's either yes or no.

If they don't have one then fair game if they get another position in another club by 2020. Are you saying that if they can't get another position Freo will re employ them even though they don't have a contract now? That would be "putting them on notice" and flogging them with a wet lettuce leaf before re employing them.

If an assistant wants to leave the clubs know by 1st August which is what happened with Ratten and Carecella, so it gives the club plenty of time to get replacements for the following year. However the rules around this may be more clouded?

The best of the assistants are likely to be head hunted to other clubs. For others it's a good reason for to further their knowledge with courses or additional experiences to keep them relevant and valuable.
They don't need to be contracted for 2020 by August 1st, they have to be advised if they will be offered a contract for 2020 by then.

We can say that we don't intend to offer you a contract at this stage and both the coach and the club can respond accordingly. If this review finds that they are wanted then they can offer a deal, but like I said, the coaches are entitled to protect their interests and get a job elsewhere before a new deal is offered.

They don't need to be contracted for 2020 by August 1st, they have to be advised if they will be offered a contract for 2020 by then.

We can say that we don't intend to offer you a contract at this stage and both the coach and the club can respond accordingly. If this review finds that they are wanted then they can offer a deal, but like I said, the coaches are entitled to protect their interests and get a job elsewhere before a new deal is offered.
They are being asked to apply for their old jobs. They don't have to apply and Freo don't have to employ.

I would have thought that's the worst possible situation for us.

The better assistants get a job elsewhere and we are left with the dregs:oops:

Knowing the 1st Aug deadline, wouldn't it have been good planning to have a review finished by then if this is what is stopping us renewing contracts of the existing coaches we want?

It's not as if this is a situation with poor skills and questions about assistants that hasn't been going on for years.

Knowing the 1st Aug deadline, wouldn't it have been good planning to have a review finished by then if this is what is stopping us renewing contracts of the existing coaches we want?

It's not as if this is a situation with poor skills and questions about assistants that hasn't been going on for years.

I absolutely would have preferred this review to have happened and finished before the 1st of August and you're right that it's the worst possible situation when we can lose good people we want because we have to either have them locked in for 2020 with a month to go in the regular season or risk losing them.

It's less than an ideal situation.

I would much prefer having my bank account improved by being empowered at the start of the year to question everyone's position. "Why didn't we do this?" etc. Then I'd get fired after that year but the report would be comprehensive.

I absolutely would have preferred this review to have happened and finished before the 1st of August and you're right that it's the worst possible situation when we can lose good people we want because we have to either have them locked in for 2020 with a month to go in the regular season or risk losing them.

It's less than an ideal situation.

I would much prefer having my bank account improved by being empowered at the start of the year to question everyone's position. "Why didn't we do this?" etc. Then I'd get fired after that year but the report would be comprehensive.
Less than idea at best, incompetent at worst?

Less than idea at best, incompetent at worst?
Incompetence isn't the worst. The worst is negligent. Especially considering the player health is part of it.

Reviews are by nature a reactive thing, limited resources mean we don't usually check that everything is ok while everything is ok. So I would lean more to this being a reaction to internal questions. The negligence kicks in when those questions have been asked and ignored until the external storm hit.

There is also going to be a balance between requiring players attend extra sessions or scan appointments and not infringing on their time off. That's going to require consultation and compromise, and it might end up exactly where we are now.

I'd prefer we put all our players through x-rays, ultrasounds and MRI to check all their joints and soft tissues their entire body over post game, even post training - but the greatest value to that would be the PhD paper written showing the correlation between certain results and the resulting injury the next session.... but the players aren't going to enjoy losing a day every week of their day and a half off to go through it.

It applies to all clubs not just FFC. They all operate under the August 1st deadline on expiring contracts.

I'd prefer we put all our players through x-rays, ultrasounds and MRI to check all their joints and soft tissues their
There is absolutely no way that gets done. Xrays etc do carry a risk and no competent medico would order routine scans just for the heck of it.

There is absolutely no way that gets done. Xrays etc do carry a risk and no competent medico would order routine scans just for the heck of it.
I agree, this is all part of how much we can monitor the bodies of our athletes. If the club S&C is required to take total responsibility for the players then they need to explore every option, have them live at the club while rehabbing so they don't go out and play basketball with their sore ankle, stay up late drinking coffee etc

Remove this Banner Ad

News Footy Department Changes and News Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back