Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

At half time at the game, I said to my mate, I think we are in a bit of trouble, he agreed
But when I watched the replay Monday night, I was amazed at how much control we had over them and the game from the half way mark of the second quater.
We were in total control, They were defending like their life depended on it, the Yellas that is.Only the fact that we were taking the game on at all cost allowed them to look like they were in the game.We had the run and hand ball game going.
Though Treacy didn't have many possessions in the first half, his physicality was telling.Then he turned on the burners after half time and put the game to bed for us.
So much credit must go to Serong, Brayshaw, Fyfe , Young and Darcy as well.
But the bot players did what they had to do when they had to do it.Players like Sturt, O'Meara, Walker, Draper, all did their bit.
A total team effort from the boys.
But a great game of footy where both teams came to play. Best Derby for many years.

Draper was great.

Expected scores had us up by three goals at halftime, whic probably accurately reflects how things really were. They were taking their chances but I knew they couldn't keep that level of "Michael Gardiner gobbling all the doses and attacking Pav" intensity up. Yeo, Kelly and Reid are just the sort of bigbodied mids that we can crumble to, but apart from those blokes (and Barass), they are scrubbers playing on emotion and emotion doesn't get the job done.

While I am here, how much like the bad guy in a John Hughes flick does Oscar Allen look? It's like he is getting all his styling tips from Keifer Sutherland in Stand By Me or the arseh*le jocks in Back to the Future or Karate Kid.

Barrass is out with delayed concussion from the derby. Anyone see the knock?

Very interesting. I said to an Eagles mate that he looked out of it. Like disinterested look. He was hunched over at one stage with one of the contests against Frederick and I noticed ‘something’.

Barass - just watched the part I noticed. Last 3 minutes he has back to back contested marks against Frederick.

On the first contest he gets up super slowly. Then after he kicks ball away hunches over again. That was when I told my mate he’d done a hammy, but perhaps he was dazed and ‘out of it’. Something wasn’t right, but it wouldn’t have been that particular contest. Must have copped something prior.

Sorry if this is doubling up - but I haven’t found this discussed anywhere else.

There was a score review after a goal by Freo in the derby which appeared to go back to a previous play to check if a point had been conceded. It was all correct and the right call had been made to play on, we regained the ball and kicked a goal, but it seemed really odd that the review was not for the goal that was kicked, but the previous potential score.

Seemed way out of whack with how I understood the afl score review system is supposed to work.

Thankfully it remained a goal and won’t get remembered amongst the list of dockery things like umpires marking the footy and sirengate.

Sorry if this is doubling up - but I haven’t found this discussed anywhere else.

There was a score review after a goal by Freo in the derby which appeared to go back to a previous play to check if a point had been conceded. It was all correct and the right call had been made to play on, we regained the ball and kicked a goal, but it seemed really odd that the review was not for the goal that was kicked, but the previous potential score.

Seemed way out of whack with how I understood the afl score review system is supposed to work.

Thankfully it remained a goal and won’t get remembered amongst the list of dockery things like umpires marking the footy and sirengate.
Reviewed at the next stop in play. Makes sense, even if it is a bit clunky.

As long as it’s consistent

Yeah okay - it would be VERY clunky if the ball had gone down the other end for a goal without a stoppage and it had been a behind then.

From what I’ve seen this year though, the AFL don’t have any form of consistency requirements in officiating.

Yeah okay - it would be VERY clunky if the ball had gone down the other end for a goal without a stoppage and it had been a behind then.

From what I’ve seen this year though, the AFL don’t have any form of consistency requirements in officiating.
I was thinking the same thing, imagine that, you'd be furious if you were either team if you subsequently kicked a goal (like we did).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have either
  • been called a point and then reviewed
  • been called no score, and play continue

What happened was rare but potentially ridiculous.

Play should stop immediately or there should be a way for the goal umpire to signal to the field umpires that they have a concern. What if the next stop in play is after an opposition goal?

Play should stop immediately or there should be a way for the goal umpire to signal to the field umpires that they have a concern. What if the next stop in play is after an opposition goal?
We’ll find out what happens the next time we play Carlton.

The players that played in the Derby have voted to share the melee fines amongst the whole group, so $407 each.

Has to be signed off but that is what they want to do.

Love this one in all in attitude at the moment!
Very well played by whoever got fined the most

sets the precedence of players getting away with mass fines next derby.

if do nothing = pay fines + no enjoyment from pinching eagles players
if pinch opposition player = pay fines + enjoyment

basically this will be us next derby.

Kermit The Frog Meme GIF by Identity

sets the precedence of players getting away with mass fines next derby.

if do nothing = pay fines + no enjoyment from pinching eagles players
if pinch opposition player = pay fines + enjoyment

basically this will be us next derby.

Kermit The Frog Meme GIF by Identity

I miss Pinchy, and how good a tagger he was for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back