Autopsy Freo Get the Points Against Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being at the game, there's something about Johnson. He has it. The underground handball, even if it's only a small moment in a game that was over by that stage, showed composure and class well beyond someone in his first 20 minutes in the AFL.

There's still SO much of the old generation to move on from. Need replacements for McGovern, Shuey, Yeo (I'm including him in the old guys because he seems cooked with soft tissue injuries), NicNat, Hurn, Cripps and Gaff (who admittedly adds little these days) but by the time they do that, they'll need to have a replacement for Darling and Kelly will likely be declining. With Ryan looking increasingly like that one AA year was a one and done thing, they have Barrass, Allen and Ginbey who I'd lock in as genuinely elite (seriously, how good is Ginbey) with Chesser and Hewitt TBD.

This will be the third year they havent made finals, I wonder how many it will take till they are back in them. The big benefit they have is that Allen will be in his prime as they exit the rebuild, unlike us waiting impatiently for Amiss to hit 24 =(

The big benefit they have is that Allen will be in his prime as they exit the rebuild, unlike us waiting impatiently for Amiss to hit 24 =(

Will he be in his prime? With all the guys they need to replace and the time it will take to get their younger players blooded and playing great consistent football, they could realistically be looking at 5 years before they are seriously challenging for the finals on a yearly basis. Allen will be 29 by then.

Oscar Allen is a free agent the next time he comes out of contract end of 2025.

Will he be in his prime? With all the guys they need to replace and the time it will take to get their younger players blooded and playing great consistent football, they could realistically be looking at 5 years before they are seriously challenging for the finals on a yearly basis. Allen will be 29 by then.
I dont like them but they are pretty good at turning it around. If nothing else, having a gun KPF and KPD through a rebuild will keep them competitive and probably bring them out of it quicker than you think. 4 years is a very long time in footy so I can see them making finals (that would 6-7 years out of finals) in like 2026.

Mind you - how the **** is Oscar Allen 24 already - Jesus time flies sometimes

think hes injured now but chapman... i dont think were getting enough out of him in that backline. too skillful and talented to be 4th or 5th fiddle back there. hopefully theres a future midfield spot for him?
Oh man this x100

I know he was good there last year but he’s absolutely being wasted in defence.
We’re crying out for big mid with fantastic skills and attacking mindset yet heres JLo playing him as the 4th defender.
All this talk of Wilson or Walker etc when we could easily have both in (or hell even hughes go back there - where he belongs (not on wing ffs ) and can start utilising arguably one of our best young talents .
Right now it’s not just a waste for him but it’s robbing the team of genuine game changer.
In fact I’d say chappy constantly being pigeon holed to a role in defence is almost the perfect example of Jlos coaching conservatism

Oh man this x100

We’re crying out for big mid with fantastic skills and attacking mindset yet heres JLo playing him as the 4th defender.
All this talk of Wilson or Walker etc when we could easily have both in (or hell even hughes go back there - where he belongs (not on wing ffs ) and can start utilising arguably one of our best young talents .
Right now it’s not just a waste for him but it’s robbing the team of genuine game changer.
In fact I’d say chappy constantly being pigeon holed to a role in defence is almost the perfect example of Jlos coaching conservatism
Will Day has made the switch seemlessly for the Hawks this year, I wonder what it's going to take to get Chapman up the ground...

Their injuries were always going to happen, Eagles have had poor training standards for last few seasons and they gave 110% to try and win their GF yesterday.

It happens when you're a shit team. We went through it and they gave us no sympathy so I'm loving the fact that their season is cooked.

They haven't even bottomed out yet.

"Allen and Amiss kick 5 each in the 2026 AFL Grand Final to make it back to back flags for Freo!"
You heard it here first :)
lol, this could be deemed a very controversial post. The Wiggles will be squirming upon reading this!

Episode 2 Jedi GIF by Star Wars

darth vader episode 6 GIF

Switta, Serong, Freddie and Aish👍👍👍

Henry needs a spell at Peel, let's give Sturt a run.
I like the Sturt call, I think he could tackle the wing-cum-high half-forward flank (phew, that's a mouthful!) role.

My greatest fear is that he plays and has a quiet game and everyone gets the hump because a group of us called for the change. Sometimes, you can't please some people.....but unless he plays, we will never know...

I feel for Henry, you really sense he wants to gel into it and find his feet, but some of the stuff was cringe yesterday - that turnover in defense in the 1st was all kinds of horrendous. He hasn't (as yet) lived up to the hype. I feel a great deal of it is between the ears, he has talent, but he lacks composure upon execution. I also agree with other posters, he has improved his overall game appetite, but it's still not enough.

If he stays, I'm okay with it given the balance of the team felt better yesterday. But he's gotta sharpen up! Not averse to dropping him like Treacy was though - Sturt is well and truly stiff not to have been playing as yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 77 x 23 = 1771, and 116 x 23 = 2668.

And if you remove Hurn, Shuey, McGovern and Witherden from that total games experience then they wind up with 1838.

Sooooo 1838 games experience total for them (from 19 players!!!) vs 1771 for us (from 23!!!).

They suffered badly yesterday but their list is miles ahead of ours in terms of development.

We have a long way to go in terms of growth and I think we need to understand this.
Our list demographic is one of the youngest in the comp, alongside teams like North and Hawthorn and Adelaide and GWS.

I think both us and the Eagles had anomaly years last year. We maybe slightly over-performed and they horrifically under performed. But they are still on a downward trajectory whilst we are going the other way. It's like two people on escalators going in opposite directions, and we're now at that point where we can reach out and smack them on our way past. Our best is ahead of us with such a young 22 and as they usher out the old they are going to suffer a lot of hurt.

Being at the game, there's something about Johnson. He has it. The underground handball, even if it's only a small moment in a game that was over by that stage, showed composure and class well beyond someone in his first 20 minutes in the AFL.

When he held onto the ball for an extra second thought his way through the situation and found Brayshaw for the goal at the start of the last quarter that was about all i needed to see to know we had found one.

Thanks to the Floggles board for the salty laughs. The melts over Freddos’ backflip warrant somebody digging out those “ninja flip” clips of Jack Darling from a few years ago.

Fair enough but we have the players to potentially provide that support.
Ras and Johnson will both be playing together soon.
Johnson’s poise was great yesterday with that excellent score involvement with Brayshaw and some strong tackles too.
That was a very promising debut.
Add Erasmus into the mix and I think that’s a better balance midfield.
Stevie Wonder can see we absolutely need the speed on ball of Switta.
Stevie Wonder as midfield coach?

Dead Sea levels of salty tears. Looking through I see a constant positive is that Gaff wasn't completely shit. And, yeah, there is that.

Also, apparently, they were dudded by the maggots. The handouts they get - they should register as a ****ing charity.

Oh man this x100

100% with you on this one

I mean I'm not sure he even does heaps down back. He's a good player and all but really probably the 4th best intercept mark and about 5th in line for best user coming off half back.

Is he really developing down there? What's the end goal? 3rd tall defender or something else that might really be of use to us.

I was absolutely thrilled with Jacksons game, that's closer to the standard we need for this year, that's a guy that can turn games BUT if there's one massive learning point for the dude it's that if you are coming up against someone who literally cant compete against you, just take it out of the ruck dude and belt it forward. Even if he just does it once or twice, they have to rethink everything they are doing
Agree 100%
Maybe take a leaf out of the coach's ruck play

Sent from my SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% with you on this one

I mean I'm not sure he even does heaps down back. He's a good player and all but really probably the 4th best intercept mark and about 5th in line for best user coming off half back.

Is he really developing down there? What's the end goal? 3rd tall defender or something else that might really be of use to us.
He seems to be developing into a player who's instinct is to kick sideways.

I confess that I am mildly concerned about how he is developing.

Are we developing players who have the capacity to take the game on in the best way, or are we curtailing that ability?

He seems to be developing into a player who's instinct is to kick sideways.

I confess that I am mildly concerned about how he is developing.

Are we developing players who have the capacity to take the game on in the best way, or are we curtailing that ability?
I certainly agree he seems a lesser player than this time last year. I think we need to get one of our hbf to the wing. My first choice would be Clark, but I would be comfortable with Chappy. As far as I am concerned we only have 1 probable wing in Drizzy going forward. Liam may make it but I have no confidence. Hughes is a stop gap, Aish can be a wing rotation but is too important in the midfield rotation for too much time, Johnson can do some time there but I don't know if he has the running ability to be more than a part time option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back