Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we better off resting him and looking at putting another small crumber-type? I know we have no real ready x-factor smalls in the sheds, but can Cooper play that role?

Also, I love Sonny and Fyfe but if they’re carrying something or if they’re both tiring, both need to make way.

It’s so tight we can’t afford to drop any games moving forward, but we also need to expose potential cover if our first choice team can’t get out there.
I won't pretend to know how to handle the Sturt situation. He is playing for a contract so it is tough to drop him but on the other hand his injury is hampering his performance. This game just proved the importance of accurate kicking so I hope we don't give up on him.

Why don’t we ask to like…not have to fly to Tassie???

Have you not noticed in the last decade that most of the teams who fly to NT or TAS for Victorian team home games, are in fact interstate clubs. It's ****ing bullshit. You won't see Melbourne and Collingwood in NT, or North and Richmond in TAS. These are the rounds where we should get extra home games or play at MCG, and those morons travel to those places together instead.

Have you not noticed in the last decade that most of the teams who fly to NT or TAS for Victorian team home games, are in fact interstate clubs. It's ****ing bullshit. You won't see Melbourne and Collingwood in NT, or North and Richmond in TAS. These are the rounds where we should get extra home games or play at MCG, and those morons travel to those places together instead.
But think of the crowds!

I didn't realise this. 3.10 from 4 games. If he's kicked 6.7 even as a 21 year old he's shown more than enough. I don't think he's an awful kick, so I'd punt 3.10 isn't a long term trend.

Voss has been taking shots a lot closer to goal in the WAFL compared to where he has been taking marks at AFL level; the position keeps contributes to his accuracy at WAFL level and conversely his inaccuracy gets more exposed at AFL level. Part of the reason that he gets more marks close to goal is because of the greater dominance of Peel's midfield and half back line compared to other teams. To be honest, nothing surprising about his performance; I think he can potentially make it in the longer term but he needs to keep working on his running and tackling because he needs to get that right to play at AFL.

I still wish we had gone with Reidy not because I think Reidy would have been amazing but we could have kept Treacy forward more and given Jackson more of a chop out in the ruck and allowed him to play elsewhere which his better position - keep the structure that has been working rather than changing players roles. Ultimately we lost the game in the middle where Meek gave some good service to the Hawks midfield who made the most of that; having another ruck may have helped a bit in that space. But as I said at the start of the week, I understand why they would go with Voss.

Voss has kicked 20 goals in his last 5 WAFL games. It's not just against a depleted WC team. Just infuriating that he can't convert at AFL level. He gets plenty of shots a game too. Averging 3 shots a game from his 4 AFL games. Same amount as Treacy.
Yep, I'd love to see him succeed, not doubting he may do, has all the right attributes. What have his 3 shots a game brought him thus far? 3.10.

Sturt had a solid block of games and then not much last week and today was just nowhere.

Feel like he may be dropped.

He’s so hard to get a read on. 2 weeks ago we were all hoping we offer him an extension. Now?

Course we still extend him. Today was mid related.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walters is a terrible choice as sub. We need someone who can bring a big power hit.
I believe he was sub last week?

4 touches for 2 goals?

He did his job but I agree the game has gone past him

Voss has been taking shots a lot closer to goal in the WAFL compared to where he has been taking marks at AFL level; the position keeps contributes to his accuracy at WAFL level and conversely his inaccuracy gets more exposed at AFL level. Part of the reason that he gets more marks close to goal is because of the greater dominance of Peel's midfield and half back line compared to other teams. To be honest, nothing surprising about his performance; I think he can potentially make it in the longer term but he needs to keep working on his running and tackling because he needs to get that right to play at AFL.

I still wish we had gone with Reidy not because I think Reidy would have been amazing but we could have kept Treacy forward more and given Jackson more of a chop out in the ruck and allowed him to play elsewhere which his better position - keep the structure that has been working rather than changing players roles. Ultimately we lost the game in the middle where Meek gave some good service to the Hawks midfield who made the most of that; having another ruck may have helped a bit in that space. But as I said at the start of the week, I understand why they would go with Voss.
Totally agree, if we had gone with Reidy then we would not be putting Treacy at an elevated and unecessary risk of an injury. Our structure would have remained much the same. Treacy was limping around after one ruck duel.

Felt like we lost every important centre clearance to stop a run or build momentum. Hawthorn wanted it more today which is disappointing when you consider we had top 4 on the line.

I didn't realise this. 3.10 from 4 games. If he's kicked 6.7 even as a 21 year old he's shown more than enough. I don't think he's an awful kick, so I'd punt 3.10 isn't a long term trend.
Best he might be described as is unconventional.
If he becomes godly at timing his kicks then the swing of his leg won't matter. Makes it a lot harder to get it right though and still leaves more room for error.

Reidy would probably of broken even physically against Meek, not totally out-muscled as Jackson was. Would have given our mids equal opportunity. It looks like a pretty poor decision against a team thats one wood is their clearance work.
Not having fresh legs in the last quarter also hurt us. No point bringing in a forward if it doesn't get down there.

The other issue I think not playing Reidy is that we then put our best forward ( Treacy) into the ruck to get bashed by the opposition rucks. Carlton would never put Curnow in there.
They put McKay there. Case still stands.
What’s the win/loss ratio with taps differential with Jackson lone ruck v Darcy and Jackson. Feel like it’s pretty stark.

He’s getting the opportunity. Feels like he has the shape of Burley v Sherrin mixed up.
You’d be surprised how much difference it’s kick Burley further then Sherrin. It’s like a Rugby Union ball

Reidy would probably of broken even physically against Meek, not totally out-muscled as Jackson was. Would have given our mids equal opportunity. It looks like a pretty poor decision against a team thats one wood is their clearance work.
Not having fresh legs in the last quarter also hurt us. No point bringing in a forward if it doesn't get down there.
I don’t mind the sub. The lack of magnet switching by Jl is annoying.
Fyfe struggling? Get him forward.
Sicily scoring? Get Voss back as extra man and have Fyfe swap.
The reaction to Sicily forward was so slow.
Mitchell saw Fremantle were struggling with I50 even with Sicily there, so he gambled rightly and put Fremantle’s arrogant to the test.

Chapman on him? That’s absolutely disrespectful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back