Freo looking to trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we're looking for fringe players that we believe have not been given enough chances or used badly, we're almost certainly going to get reamed at the trade table. It's rare that clubs can trade for regular players and end up better off.

Griffen's probably the best trade bait we've got (if he wants to go), but I doubt we're going to get a walk up best 22 starter.

Ugh.

I hope we dont pay overs for Clark. Haven't we learnt our lessons from the past?

Throughout the 2000's we were always chasing that missing ingredient to get a flag. I understand McPharlin, Sandi and Pavlich are getting older, but we haven't even made the finals this year, what means were close to a flag next year?

You never know whats going to happen in the following year (look at '07), I'ts improtant to continue implementing youth.

I know its still early but it seems like we may have stuffed it up last year in the draft. I hope to god we save either our first round or Rhys's compensation (Provided its the end of the first round) for this draft.

I only want Clark, Bower, Davis etc if they come cheap. If not lets keep looking to the draft.

Another thing.

People keep talking as if this is a shallow draft, there is still going to be quality kids in the first two rounds.

People were talking up '09 as a shallow draft yet we picked Fyfe at 20. The last five or six years, drafting by all clubs has lifted up a notch, along with developing talent. Im sure we can find a top player or top players in this draft.

Definitely looking less likely we will get O'Meara. I really don't want Mitch Clark, but I've just got a feeling Rhys may be heading over to the Lions instead of the suspected GWS.

Another thing.

People keep talking as if this is a shallow draft, there is still going to be quality kids in the first two rounds.

People were talking up '09 as a shallow draft yet we picked Fyfe at 20. The last five or six years, drafting by all clubs has lifted up a notch, along with developing talent. Im sure we can find a top player or top players in this draft.

This, the shallowest draft since we entered the competition based on available new talent is shaping as possibly our best every draft year.

Also a side note if Ruffles can stop his limbs falling off I wonder if he could fit the small lockdown backpocket role. He is incredibly atheletic (equalled NicNat's running jump IIRC) and has the right attitude to do it.

Yeah this has Mitch Clark in and first rounder ++ out written all over it.
Agreed.

The knock on Harvey on this board has been how he's not a good coach because since he lost Scott as an assistant we've seemed to have struggled. Maybe it's always been about getting the right assistants.

I would like to see Bell at the club as he's had a bit of a 'holier than thou" attitude in the media. A bit of a "well I told them to do that years ago" knida thing. He's a confident and intelligent guy and I do believe he's passionate about the club.

As far as Clark goes, it all depends what we have to give away. If we are trying to get O'meara as well I am worried about us giving away a fair amount of talent for quick fixes (Clark) and maybe's (O'Meara).

We are also nowhere near a primership and our recruiting needs to reflect this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would he if you were retaining Griffin though? Limited opportunities with Sandi, Griffin and Keplar.

Nope. If Zac is fit he'll be the second ruckman picked.

Kepler and Griffin will only squeeze into the team if they can find a role after Sandi and Zac have been picked.

No Way In Hell Brisbane take Ryhs Palmer we have better midfielders than him on our list Mark Harvey wants Clark so you will have to give up more than Ryhs Palmer

Thank you for your input. Perhaps you would like to tell us what you would accept. Then we can all laugh at you when you get it completely wrong.

Palmer is off to GWS anyway. That's the only explanation as to why he hasn't agreed to terms with us.

Would he if you were retaining Griffin though? Limited opportunities with Sandi, Griffin and Keplar.

Honestly I think we are as likely to trade Clarke as the Eagles are of trading NicNat. Clarke is our future number 1 ruckman. I would be up for trading for Mitch Clark but not for our first (pick 14 most likely) unless we get a pick at the end of the first for Palmer which I doubt we will. Would rather go after O'Meara not sure what we would need to give up though. Picking up a couple key position players through the draft is an idea as well.

I feel sick after reading this article on the Dockers site I've got a bad feeling that out first round draft pick and the compensation pick we get for Palmer are probly gone.

How the muppets running this club can actually believe trading in rejects from other clubs is going to get us a flag is absolutely beyond me. How these same muppets think that we are actually in the position to be looking at a flag is even more beyond me we are going to finish 12th for ****s sake. I do feel we will be better next year but for ****s sake realistically we are not challenging for a flag!!!

Havnt we learnt anything???

Some of the terrible trades that we have accumulated over the yrs and the players that have been taken with the picks that we gave up:

1994 Traded in Tony Delaney for pick 4 (Scott Lucas)
1997 Adrian Fletcher and Chris Bond for pick 5 (Luke Power) and pick 2 (Brad Ottens)
1998 Tony Modra for pick 29 (Tyson Stenglein)
1999 Troy Cook for selection 34 (Leon Davis), Troy Longmuir for selection 19 (Brad Green)
2000 Peter Bell for pick 6 (Dylan Smith) and pick 8 (Daniel Motlop)
2001 Luke Mcpharlin and Trent Croad for pick 1 (Luke Hodge) and pick 36 (Sam Mitchell) and Jeff Farmer for pick 17 (James Kelly)
2002 Des Headland for pick 3 (Jared Brennan) and pick 19 (Troy Selwood)
2004 Josh Carr for picks 11, 27 and 45 (Justin Sherman)
2006 Chris Tarrant for pick 8 (Ben Reid)

You could make a better team out of those trades than any team we have put on the park since 1995. The only trade that was worth anything in there is the Peter Bell trade!!!!

There are 9 players on that list who have played more than 150 games for other clubs with Brennan, Sherman and Reid all on there way to reaching that mark while the only players to have played more than 150 games for our club being Bell and Mcpharlin. 12 of those players were still playing football for their respective clubs this year while we had 1- Mcpharlin.

It all goes to show that no player that you have to give up anything decent for is worth the picks you give away to get him. I know I'm overeacting here as we havent given away any picks yet but they better ****ing not give away our first round draft pick this year or I'll be ****ed. I'd rather see Kersten in the Freo colours next yr than a lacklustre Mitch Clark getting paid half a ****en million. I dont mind trading for players but th e only way to get a good deal is to give up nothing for them.

My rant is over!

How about going through all the duds we drafted in the first round rather than dredging up trades from more than a decade ago? I'll tell you right now, there's loads more of them than there are failed trades.

I have zero problem with the idea of trading picks, as long as it's done with a plan and good value is gotten back. Mitch Clark for pick 14 or whatever in a shitty draft could end up looking like an absolute steal. The dude has loads of talent. Hording draft picks is always the easy option because the media rarely latch onto failed draft picks the way they do failed trades. It's not always the best option though. Hope we explore all options this summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo looking to trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back