Freo looking to trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems to me that Harvey's No.1 target is a small lock-down defender I would suggest in the Dale Morris type/ability. That type of player would almost definitely need to be found in the lower leagues and not via the draft.

Next, he wants the key forward that we've all been ranting about. I think Freo will definitely try for M.Clark but in the end the Lions will want too much and we'll say no.

The club should take the best available player (on their board) with their No.1 pick regardless of positional need. After that go for need.

Definitely looking less likely we will get O'Meara. I really don't want Mitch Clark, but I've just got a feeling Rhys may be heading over to the Lions instead of the suspected GWS.

Would not get a game in our midfield We have Redden, Rich, Black, Hanley, Raines, Barlett, Polec, Rockliff and even Polkinghorne Bewick and Beams.

C'mon people, give the club a little credit at least. There is no way we are going to pay overs for someone who is a slight upgrade on a player we already have. In saying that the scars from the past are still there and any mention of trading can easily set us on edge. However, I interpret the 'aggressive trading' as meaning that we are going to go hard for O 'Meara and possibly a full forward and small defender that can be gotten on the cheap.

How about going through all the duds we drafted in the first round rather than dredging up trades from more than a decade ago? I'll tell you right now, there's loads more of them than there are failed trades.

I have zero problem with the idea of trading picks, as long as it's done with a plan and good value is gotten back. Mitch Clark for pick 14 or whatever in a shitty draft could end up looking like an absolute steal. The dude has loads of talent. Hording draft picks is always the easy option because the media rarely latch onto failed draft picks the way they do failed trades. It's not always the best option though. Hope we explore all options this summer.

Yeah your right there has been plenty of them as well (Dunn, Murphy, Polak, Waterhouse plus others) but at least weve have had some success in the draft especially of late I would like to continue down this path.

We seemed to have a youth policy maybe three yrs ago but now have backflipped on this idea and feel we need to trade in other players. To me three yrs of drafting isnt enough to build a team and now were back to trading our picks away again. I dont get that maybe someone can explain it to me????

I think Clark offers very little (he is very similar to Keplar/ Johnson) I dont think he is a 50+ goals/yr player which is what we need and dont think we should give up our first round pick for him. I'd take him if the price is right but I dont think that we will get that price. I'd rather see Houghton or a drafted KPF getting a game.

Yeah your right there has been plenty of them as well (Dunn, Murphy, Polak, Waterhouse plus others) but at least weve have had some success in the draft especially of late I would like to continue down this path.

We seemed to have a youth policy maybe three yrs ago but now have backflipped on this idea and feel we need to trade in other players. To me three yrs of drafting isnt enough to build a team and now were back to trading our picks away again. I dont get that maybe someone can explain it to me????

I think Clark offers very little (he is very similar to Keplar/ Johnson) I dont think he is a 50+ goals/yr player which is what we need and dont think we should give up our first round pick for him. I'd take him if the price is right but I dont think that we will get that price. I'd rather see Houghton or a drafted KPF getting a game.

It's nearly impossible to cover all your bases in the draft. We've covered pretty much all the bases, with the only glaring weaknesses being a KPF and a BP.

We could try and get lucky with average picks in compromised drafts, or we can take the safe route and bring players in via trade week. Carlton and Hawthorn were both bitten in the arse by being unable to fix obvious flaws in their list via the draft, I would rather we didn't take that approach.

We also haven't been bent over the table in years, including last year with Collingwood, which I think may have been the reason why GC were throwing guys like Mzungu and Faulks our way for minor pick upgrades that they weren't going to use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Clark's best return goals wise is this year with 27 goals. He's never cracked 10 goals in a year before this year. His best year by far was 2009 where he lead the ruck and had over 500 hitouts, nearly 100 tackles and 400 odd possessions. He was averaging 6 marks a game in that year.

The guy is not a key forward by any stretch of the imagination. He is obviously an exceptional mobile ruckman. Right now our ruck stocks are probably the best in the league. If we chase Clark to try and turn him into a key forward we've gone mad.

The other possibility is that we are contemplating a massive trade involving losing Clarke and gaining Clark. Not sure too many supporters would advocate that unless we somehow secured O'Meara or Bennell or someother exceptional talent.

Mitch Clark's best return goals wise is this year with 27 goals. He's never cracked 10 goals in a year before this year. His best year by far was 2009 where he lead the ruck and had over 500 hitouts, nearly 100 tackles and 400 odd possessions. He was averaging 6 marks a game in that year.

The guy is not a key forward by any stretch of the imagination. He is obviously an exceptional mobile ruckman. Right now our ruck stocks are probably the best in the league. If we chase Clark to try and turn him into a key forward we've gone mad.

The other possibility is that we are contemplating a massive trade involving losing Clarke and gaining Clark. Not sure too many supporters would advocate that unless we somehow secured O'Meara or Bennell or someother exceptional talent.

Interesting idea, those three way trades very rarely work out though, as everyone is so tight.

Just a thought, but could we be looking at it all wrong?

Maybe we're trying to go the Clark/Clarke route for our ruck combo, with Sandi sitting in the square as the big beast FF. Kind of like Plugger. His marking is pretty (almost very) good these days, it will be a hell of alot easier on his body and we're always going to get a contest to feed our smalls.

Two highly mobile big men might give us a big advantage in the midfield, kind of like Cox for WC. Sandi is pretty mobile for a big fella, but he's not up to that sort of standard.

Maybe we're trying to go the Clark/Clarke route for our ruck combo, with Sandi sitting in the square as the big beast FF. Kind of like Plugger. His marking is pretty (almost very) good these days, it will be a hell of alot easier on his body and we're always going to get a contest to feed our smalls.

Two highly mobile big men might give us a big advantage in the midfield, kind of like Cox for WC. Sandi is pretty mobile for a big fella, but he's not up to that sort of standard.

I also think the clark - Clarke combo might be the plan. Sandi won't last forever. I'm Hoping clark is going to threaten to go in the psd with a big price on his head so we can grab him for bugger all. Do gws have a pick in the psd?

Given our midfield can't hit a leading forward most of the time, that's probably not such a bad idea.

The problem is none of them are full forwards. Sandilands, Clarke, Griffin, Clark are all ruckman. Their best position is in the ruck. All four on our list would be a mistake.

It's nearly impossible to cover all your bases in the draft. We've covered pretty much all the bases, with the only glaring weaknesses being a KPF and a BP.

We could try and get lucky with average picks in compromised drafts, or we can take the safe route and bring players in via trade week. Carlton and Hawthorn were both bitten in the arse by being unable to fix obvious flaws in their list via the draft, I would rather we didn't take that approach.

We also haven't been bent over the table in years, including last year with Collingwood, which I think may have been the reason why GC were throwing guys like Mzungu and Faulks our way for minor pick upgrades that they weren't going to use.

I'd be happy to go to the trade table to get a KPF (one that is going to kick goals) if there was one available but apart from Fev there isnt one and I dont want Fev nor do I think we will get him. Clark is pretty much an upgrade of Johnson and Kep and we dont need another of those.

With Carlton I disagree they bit themselves in the arse by trading for Judd as they traded away Kennedy one of the best KPF going around. Quality KPF are as rare as hens teeth- Carlton were always going to have a quality midfield now what separates them from the top teams is that they cant find a KPF and Kennedy would have been the ultimate fit but they traded him away.

I still would like to see them go to the draft again we need to build a side not draft in rejects.

Also I sincerly apologise to Clive and all the Waterhouse supporters one beer too many!!!

The problem is none of them are full forwards. Sandilands, Clarke, Griffin, Clark are all ruckman. Their best position is in the ruck. All four on our list would be a mistake.

:thumbsu:

Sandilands is the best ruckman in the league, still has a couple of good years left in him. Even when he starts to slow down he will still play majority ruck. He is in no way a solution to our problems up forward. Clarke looks good around the ground and I can see him playing a Cox/Natanui type role. Griffen was cheap to bring in, Clark will be anything but cheap. If we get Clark we won't be getting O'Meara, and we won't have a first round pick this year.

:thumbsu:

Sandilands is the best ruckman in the league, still has a couple of good years left in him. Even when he starts to slow down he will still play majority ruck. He is in no way a solution to our problems up forward. Clarke looks good around the ground and I can see him playing a Cox/Natanui type role. Griffen was cheap to bring in, Clark will be anything but cheap. If we get Clark we won't be getting O'Meara, and we won't have a first round pick this year.

IMO I reckon it's total BS that FREO would even be contemplating trading for M.Clark.

Thing we have in our favour with Clark (correct me if i'm wrong) but I'm pretty sure he is out of contract, so if he decides he wants to come to Freo we could end up paying substantially less than he's worth hopefully our 2nd round pick or less. Only issue with him is he seems to play his best footy in the ruck, and as many have mentioned is it worth having the 2 Clark/es in the team with Sandi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo looking to trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back