Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

It will always come down to who you ask and what games the person you ask has attented.

It's like with Jarrod Witts last year. Some considered him a top 10 talent (I was one of those and Collingwood FC have spoken about him as a "more mobile Sandilands" - which for mine is probably stretching it but with his continued improvement I do agree that with have something injuries permitting). But then others considered him a rookie prospect - you only have to read Chris25's comments on Witts comparing him to Andrew Browne (Richmond rookie ruckman).

There will always be different interpretations.

With Edwards hopefully he works his way into the season and shows continued improvement. He just needs time and needs to continue to work hard.

That is Exacly what you want to see from Edwards is just get better and better all the time.

I have heard some top players don't play hard in APS but will in U-18 Champs and TAC Cup.

Chris25 Did not like Paine either but I really liked what I have seen of him and was Excellent in 2nd Half today vs Sandy in VFL

Oh and also does Jake Kelly have a connection with Collingwood - because he was mentioned a few times in your summaries from today's game?

Oh and also does Jake Kelly have a connection with Collingwood - because he was mentioned a few times in your summaries from today's game?

I am pretty sure he is Craig Kelly son

That is Exacly what you want to see from Edwards is just get better and better all the time.

I have heard some top players don't play hard in APS but will in U-18 Champs and TAC Cup.

Chris25 Did not like Paine either but I really liked what I have seen of him and was Excellent in 2nd Half today vs Sandy in VFL

You are right about some taking it easy at APS. I got that impression with Viney + Haynes today to be honest. They both just didn't seem to work to 100% of their capacity and both seemed like they were holding something back in reserve.

Son of Craig Kelly (100+ gamer for Collingwood from the late 80s to mid 90s) from what I have been told.

Don't currently have notes on Jake's age so if you have any info on age/what his game is like I'd be happy to hear as my knowledge of Jake at this stage is limited.

You are right about some taking it easy at APS. I got that impression with Viney + Haynes today to be honest. They both just didn't seem to work to 100% of their capacity and both seemed like they were holding something back in reserve.

Son of Craig Kelly (100+ gamer for Collingwood from the late 80s to mid 90s) from what I have been told.

Don't currently have notes on Jake's age so if you have any info on age/what his game is like I'd be happy to hear as my knowledge of Jake at this stage is limited.

Yeah he's in year 11. SUPER fit, and has a crazy work ethic. Hits the gym reasonably regularly and it can tell cause he's filling out his tallish body. Probably see him as a tall mid (bout 190ish I reckon) just because of his speed and strength. A pretty safe pick from what I've seen, good hands, solid disposal. Off the top of my head maybe a similarish player to Gaff in that he has really good work ethic (probably a bit thicker too).

TradeDraft: Given your likely ladder position I'd think Stewy would be a decent fit around the 20ish mark (first rounder). Your second rounder going in closer to 40 seems too high

Sounds like some teams Really Really Rate Stewart but sound like Hine is keeping his Thoughts very close to himself

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...s-in-joe-daniher/story-e6frf9jf-1226341576023

This year there seem to be a top 10 of the very best talents. Then the next 10-15. Stewart seems to be in that next group.

I'd just take him anyway to be honest whether that be 1st/2nd round.

If we finish top 4, then with those clubs executing compensation selections we would be getting a bargain with Stewart.

If we finish outside of the top 8 then I don't see any other club going after him with the likes of: Whitfield, Stringer, Vlastuin, Viney (Melb F/S), Toumpas, Danniher (Ess F/S), Grundy and Mason Shaw all better talents.

Yeah he's in year 11. SUPER fit, and has a crazy work ethic. Hits the gym reasonably regularly and it can tell cause he's filling out his tallish body. Probably see him as a tall mid (bout 190ish I reckon) just because of his speed and strength. A pretty safe pick from what I've seen, good hands, solid disposal. Off the top of my head maybe a similarish player to Gaff in that he has really good work ethic (probably a bit thicker too).

Thanks for the info NC23. Much appreciated. Will look out for him next year.

A tough, uncompromising, solid build, medium defender. More a shut down defender than a play maker. If there was trouble on the field, then Kelly was always amongst it, he would protect smaller players.
1990 Premiership player (recruited from Norwood mid 30's pick).
Was an important part of the 1990 team, Matthews adored his style of play (straight thru, no fear, would never pull out, hurt a few opposition players from memory, although quite slow).
Mates of Millane & Banks (Pies brat pack late 80's).
Played over 100 games, so his son is available for F/S when eligible.
Now a leading player manager.
Interested to see how Jake does progress this year.

This year there seem to be a top 10 of the very best talents. Then the next 10-15. Stewart seems to be in that next group.

I'd just take him anyway to be honest whether that be 1st/2nd round.

If we finish top 4, then with those clubs executing compensation selections we would be getting a bargain with Stewart.

If we do end up with our 1st Pick at Pick 16 or Higher we might as just get him

Hey Knightmare, dont you think that not going 100% would be dangerous?? Maybe these players were'nt able to perform due to the opposition?

Did James Stewart, Jack Billings, Jackson McCrae, Jason Ashby, Kristian Jakchs, and Nathan Hrovat who all played well in that game take it easy? They are all in the VIC Metro team to compete at the Nationals!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare, dont you think that not going 100% would be dangerous?? Maybe these players were'nt able to perform due to the opposition?

Did James Stewart, Jack Billings, Jackson McCrae, Jason Ashby, Kristian Jakchs, and Nathan Hrovat who all played well in that game take it easy? They are all in the VIC Metro team to compete at the Nationals!!

It was only Viney and Haynes who seemed to be holding some back in reserve and seemed to some extent to be in self preservation mode. I could easily be wrong. Scotch were very weary of Viney around the ground tagging him hard and consistently being aware of his positioning around the ground. He could have been playing his hardest and just didn't produce as he normally would, but certainly knowing how he can play I know he has another level in his game. Haynes didn't get this same attention but likewise just didn't have the influence he can offensively.

Many of these others you listed were playing their best footy and were really impressive.

Hrovat in particular was having a real dip and was outstanding playing a fantastic all round game. Billings and Jaksch likewise were both outstanding and really put their names forward. Stewart played hard and had a dip but probably didn't execute by foot the way he can which is the main judgement I have on his performance on Saturday.

Every time you see a kid play you want to see them playing their hardest. Perhaps Viney thinks he is safe and perhaps Haynes feels that he will get drafted and places a greater importance on what he produces during the u18 champs knowing that he will be judged on those performances by scouts around the country. But the rest knew it was today that they need to produce and played that way.

James Stewart (Scotch)- Didn't have a massive influence on the game in the first 3 quarters up forward was used as a high half forward but in the final quarter when moved down back was very good. As a forward he mostly suffered through the Carey midfield getting on top, but none the less he looked slightly better down back and reminds me allot of Ben Reid with his play down back.

Thought the same thing Knightmare when i saw him at Visy - if he can add some weight to his frame, could become a genuine swing player.
He also seems to have a booming kick, and if he can get precision like Reid he could be a real weapon down there when needed.

It was only Viney and Haynes who seemed to be holding some back in reserve and seemed to some extent to be in self preservation mode. I could easily be wrong. Scotch were very weary of Viney around the ground tagging him hard and consistently being aware of his positioning around the ground. He could have been playing his hardest and just didn't produce as he normally would, but certainly knowing how he can play I know he has another level in his game. Haynes didn't get this same attention but likewise just didn't have the influence he can offensively.

Many of these others you listed were playing their best footy and were really impressive.

Hrovat in particular was having a real dip and was outstanding playing a fantastic all round game. Billings and Jaksch likewise were both outstanding and really put their names forward. Stewart played hard and had a dip but probably didn't execute by foot the way he can which is the main judgement I have on his performance on Saturday.

Every time you see a kid play you want to see them playing their hardest. Perhaps Viney thinks he is safe and perhaps Haynes feels that he will get drafted and places a greater importance on what he produces during the u18 champs knowing that he will be judged on those performances by scouts around the country. But the rest knew it was today that they need to produce and played that way.

You make some very good points Knightmare, I cannot understand why players who are in the AIS would leave their best for the Nationals??
Very risky in my opinion!! Thanks again for your detailed summation Knightmare.......................

I cannot understand why players who are in the AIS would leave their best for the Nationals??
Very risky in my opinion!!

I agree with your thoughts. You want to see everyone bring their best every time they go out on the field and play every game as if it's their last.

At this age it is about development and by going at 80% or 90% you're not going to improve as much as you would by going 100%.

Ned plays for us.

At this stage he probably wouldn't be picked up as a father son prospect.

Would you care to expand on that?

I know nothing about the kid, but I take it you see some weaknesses in his game. Be as subtle as you like, I'm just curious.

Would you care to expand on that?

I know nothing about the kid, but I take it you see some weaknesses in his game. Be as subtle as you like, I'm just curious.

Not the best defensively and disposal efficiency isn't his strongest asset..

He's certainly not a bad kid and might go late in the draft if he was eligible this year, but he isn't. He's only 16 (17 in July) so he has time.

This is the feeling from others at the club. But as I said, he has plenty of time even if he is a ginger ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back