Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon well go moneyball with our small forwards. Unless we have small forwards that can go into the midfield we will probably tip them. Think Moss from Hawks as an example. We'll keep players on the list if they can play that defensive small forward role. If they can't go into the midfield, we'll recruit them endlessly and delist them endlessly.

I reckon well go moneyball with our small forwards. Unless we have small forwards that can go into the midfield we will probably tip them. Think Moss from Hawks as an example. We'll keep players on the list if they can play that defensive small forward role. If they can't go into the midfield, we'll recruit them endlessly and delist them endlessly.

That is a Interesting Theory and With Late and Rookie Picks it's not a Terrible Idea but if you have a AA Calbiar one you just don't let them go though

I like the reports on Stewart, sounds a bit laconic but if he moves that well for a 197cm kid well worth looking at. For the height and mobility, how would anyone who's seen him compare him to Gault?

Someone confirm who is the better of the two Darcy Moore or James Stewart ?

Right now Stewart is.

Saw them both earlier this season playing against one another - Carey v Scotch.

Darcy is younger and still has time to go past James but Darcy still has some developing to do - not yet in that same class.

As for who will be better. Possibly Darcy, eventually. But ask me in a few years time when we have a better idea of what he will develop into and what type of size he ends up.

Stewart for type is more of a Jack Watts type build. Moore looks like he will develop into a more powerful unit. But doesn't have the tricks right at this stage.

Right now Stewart is.

Darcy is younger and still has time to go past James but Darcy still has some developing to do - not yet in that same class.

As for who will be better. Possibly Darcy, eventually. But ask me in a few years time when we have a better idea of what he will develop into and what type of size he ends up.

Is he a 1st or 2nd ruck prospect or a tall defender/forward like Keeffe?

Is he a 1st or 2nd ruck prospect or a tall defender/forward like Keeffe?

On the day Moore played as a key defender - and played mostly a shut down role offering limited rebound.

Moore looks better and probably offers more as a strong marking key forward though and would be more suited to playing this role at this stage.

Whether he develops into ruck size is yet to be determined. In 2 years time we will have a better idea but I can't imagine him going much beyond 2m, if indeed he does make it to that height.

On the day Moore played as a key defender - and played mostly a shut down role offering limited rebound.

Moore looks better and probably offers more as a strong marking key forward though and would be more suited to playing this role at this stage.

Whether he develops into ruck size is yet to be determined. In 2 years time we will have a better idea but I can't imagine him going much beyond 2m, if indeed he does make it to that height.
Peter Moore said his son was the same height as him. If so, then he would already be ruck height I would have thought at 198cm. Given his age I'd have thought he would still have some growth left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now Stewart is.

Stewart for type is more of a Jack Watts type build. Moore looks like he will develop into a more powerful unit. But doesn't have the tricks right at this stage.

Well at the Moment that could be true but You are going off 1 Game. Moore still has 2 more seasons before being able to be Drafted so he can still develop alot more.

Agree Stewart Reminds me alot of Watts

Peter Moore said his son was the same height as him. If so, then he would already be ruck height I would have thought at 198cm. Given his age I'd have thought he would still have some growth left in him.

It varys from person to person. I stopped growing as a 14 year old and another boy I rowed with many years ago stopped growing as a 12 year old. So it is very varied.

Darcy, like James is 197cm now which isn't tall enough to play ruck. But with some luck he will go beyond 2m. Just never any guarantees.

It varys from person to person. I stopped growing as a 14 year old and another boy I rowed with many years ago stopped growing as a 12 year old. So it is very varied.

Darcy, like James is 197cm now which isn't tall enough to play ruck. But with some luck he will go beyond 2m. Just never any guarantees.

197cm could play as a 2nd Ruck

I'm not sure what the degrees are, but my understanding is that the taller types tend to have a more prolonged period of growth than shorter types. It seems to me that people ranging 195cm+ have tended to complete their growth spurts at a latter age than those below, but that's only a surface assessment from following various sports like basketball, and could be scientifically incorrect.

In any case for a well built player with good athleticism, 197cm is absolutely enough to play ruck.

197cm could play as a 2nd Ruck

With the ever increasing height of rucks I suspect it will become increasingly rare.

More clubs will have genuine ruck height types, but with the ability to play some key forward or do some other things. You only have to look at Zac Smith, Nic Naitanui, Kurt Tippett and others who have the ability to do other things at that greater height.

I'm not sure what the degrees are, but my understanding is that the taller types tend to have a more prolonged period of growth than shorter types. It seems to me that people ranging 195cm+ have tended to complete their growth spurts at a latter age than those below, but that's only a surface assessment from following various sports like basketball, and could be scientifically incorrect.

In any case for a well built player with good athleticism, 197cm is absolutely enough to play ruck.

I wouldn't call Moore a super high level athlete. Probably a moderate athlete but not a major feature of his game at this stage.

With the talls it's often those who grow later that continue to improve and grow as footballs whereas those who grew earlier probably don't have that same development to come.

Nathan Buckley as a kid was a tiny Jarryd Blair height, thin build and with Dale Thomas like speed and a high skill level. Then he really grew, developed physically and improved his game drastically going from a play who was not AFL standard into an all time great.

Ben Reid as a KPP is another example where he was a later bloomer and physically took until his 3rd year to develop. Then in that 3rd-5th year period on our list really developed like crazy and went from VFL level player to All Australian quality key defender.

James Sellar is an example of the opposite side of the spectrum. He was a great player as an u18, but then stopped growing at 196cm, and with that stop in growth his football game hasn't really been able to develop, whereas others who have continued to grow physically have also continued their footballing growth.

Many of the shorter types can play better earlier because they are as good as they are going to get. So when drafting these you often draft them on what they are producing now rather than what you hope they will be able to produce. Whereas with taller players, say a ruckman because they often develop so late physically it's really hard to evaluate their talents and often many very good rucks can be left to the rookie draft because as 18 year olds they just aren't that good, that early typically.

Personally hope Darcy doesn't grow past 197cm he currently stands, would rather he become an elite tall fwd then have him thrown in with the other lot of already growing list of ruck options.

Tippett at 203cm is a pretty handy key forward. I don't see increased height to in any way be a limitation.

If we decide we like our rucks we could very well decide with Darcy even if he grew to a similar height to Tippett that we want him to develop into a key forward.

Tippett at 203cm is a pretty handy key forward. I don't see increased height to in any way be a limitation.

If we decide we like our rucks we could very well decide with Darcy even if he grew to a similar height to Tippett that we want him to develop into a key forward.

Tippett has rare agility and lateral movement for his size, most have a turning circle of the queen mary, struggle below their knees and have more a straight line or bust body mechanics.
Even Keeffe (who most consider athletic for 205scm) struggles to 'double back' and turn like the quality forwards can and he has been burnt when forwards have done it to him. Unless Moore is athletic freak Nicnat/Tippett style then as i said I'd rather he stay high end for KPP hieght.

You can download the app 'Livestream' and once done, search SANFL for a live stream of the game. Stewart is currently playing now and took a massive mark in the goal square.

You can download the app 'Livestream' and once done, search SANFL for a live stream of the game. Stewart is currently playing now and took a massive mark in the goal square.

What is the Link?

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back