Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

While we are on future magpies, anyone heard any updates on elijah Edwards?

Perhaps Dave the man or the royal sampler.

Believe the last i heard is he missed some nsw squad (maybe under 18)

The latest update on Elijah is that he's still frustratingly short. :(
I don't think lack of height is a massive disadvantage if you have other strengths. How would he compare to an example like jarryd Blair ( who i personally think is a great story). I understand they are prob different players

Well Blair still has a relatively strong, "nuggety" body for his size. Edwards is small and more of a Brad Dick physique. It's a worry in terms of his projection to an AFL player long-term.

Well Blair still has a relatively strong, "nuggety" body for his size. Edwards is small and more of a Brad Dick physique. It's a worry in terms of his projection to an AFL player long-term.
Sorry to keep asking questions but he is still only 16? Surely if the pies have him on scholarship, we can send him a modified weights program.

Alsy other questions were related to his skill development. Is he coming on as well as we could hope?

Thanks for the updates TRS. i couldn't believe how quickly you replied to my first post on elijah. Do you have some special power?

Nah, purely coincidence. :p

And as for weights, well sure, but I would guess he's already on some sort of weights program, and it still didn't help Brad Dick (just using him as an example).

Can't comment on his skills of late, but playing at Scotch has got to help. And the team he missed out on was the NSW/ACT Rams U18 side, which is not that big an indictment given he's underaged and can play for them next year (and likely will).

I know Rohan Price quite well and his old man, Barry (the Collingwood one) is the head of Scotch's sporting program . Talent wise, they think Edwards is the most talented player to go through Scotch since Rioli in 06'.

I know Rohan Price quite well and his old man, Barry (the Collingwood one) is the head of Scotch's sporting program . Talent wise, they think Edwards is the most talented player to go through Scotch since Rioli in 06'.
I read Emma. Quayle's book "the draft" and rioli was one of the subjects.Apparently scotch was the best thing for him. Hopefully this is the same for Edwards.

I read Emma. Quayle's book "the draft" and rioli was one of the subjects.Apparently scotch was the best thing for him. Hopefully this is the same for Edwards.

Scotch are well known for their strong training programs and discipline in a range of sports. Always train harder, more days and for longer than any of the other APS schools in just about all their sports. Good environment to be developing in as many of those other APS schools are.

Scotch are well known for their strong training programs and discipline in a range of sports. Always train harder, more days and for longer than any of the other APS schools in just about all their sports. Good environment to be developing in as many of those other APS schools are.

That would be disputable imv. The biggest positive Scotch provides is that it's the best 'boarding' house in the APS along with Melbourne Grammar.

Rioli had big issues adapting to Melbourne life intially and that is what most draftees from non Victoria states find. His boarding at Scotch was a big reason why he made the transition to an AFL club so easily.

That would be disputable imv. The biggest positive Scotch provides is that it's the best 'boarding' house in the APS along with Melbourne Grammar.

Rioli had big issues adapting to Melbourne life intially and that is what most draftees from non Victoria states find. His boarding at Scotch was a big reason why he made the transition to an AFL club so easily.

and That is why the Pies Sent him there. Though I have heard his only downside is that he is a Midget at the Moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what are we talking here, well under 170cm:(?

163cm and looks every bit that short live.

Tony Liberatore won a brownlow at that height so players that short can have success at AFL level.

We just have to hope Edwards' game continues to grow and can do the talking. With what he does it matters little what height he is, he just needs to do what he does more often in games.
Edwards can sprint from the back pocket all the way up to the forward flank without anyone being able to stop him which is what makes him such a special player.

Tony Liberatore was 77kg, sounds like EE has more of a frame like Brad Dick and will struggle to bulk up. Hope he makes it, would love to see the little fella dancing around the opposition and slotting miraculous goals.
BTW does he have blistering speed or is he more of an evasive player type.

Tony Liberatore was 77kg, sounds like EE has more of a frame like Brad Dick and will struggle to bulk up. Hope he makes it, would love to see the little fella dancing around the opposition and slotting miraculous goals.

I think it's hard to compare him to anyone because at his current size no one has really played at AFL level. If I was pushed on it though I'd say Jaimee Lawson who was capable of those blistering runs and was an excitement machine. From memory he only stood 168-170cm.

If EE turns out half as good as Lawson would have been if not for that broken leg then we're onto a winner.

Speed. So much that he would make Stephen Hill jealous. Edwards is moderately evasive and has a sidestep and the ability to change direction quickly, but it's the pure speed that makes him stand out from the pack.

Would imagine from a dead sprint he would out-do just about anyone on an AFL list if he was to run from the opposition goals up to our forward 50.

I don't think lack of height is a massive disadvantage if you have other strengths. How would he compare to an example like jarryd Blair ( who i personally think is a great story). I understand they are prob different players

The height he is right now (i.e. mid 160 cms) would be a major disadvantage, and would rule him out of AFL football.

He would need to get up to low 170's at least, and even then, he would need to be somewhat nuggety (which I doubt he would ever be). If he doesn't end up weighing something in the high 70 kg's at least, he will not make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back