Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Players like Francis and Ladhams copping the most heat, but where's the same energy for our overpaid "stars" who haven't played well for the best part of two months?
Francis was a known quantity, he play as poorly as he had every other game he's played in the 1s - same goes for Ladhams. Given the team's performance and the amount of reserves playing the result probably isn't unexpected in retrospect.

Maybe Reid's nice comments are more indicative of a problem that they all like and believe in each other and think they are all a great special group, started to believe it from the top down and now have no idea wtf to do once the pressure starts, everyone looks to someone else to stand up and games are just gone.

People say Freo showed how to beat us, really Geelong did. Pressure and work as hard as possible , Geelong couldn't do it long enough, just bring it for a half and we snap.

now it's just get the first 2-3 goals and sydney are done mentally

Plenty of egos in the team. I do wonder whether a couple may have gotten wind of some of the offers going around and it’s driven a wedge between a few?

For example, say we offered Chad $1.2m to extend and Heeney is on $900k. Or McDonald got a big contract but others see him as overpaid as not delivering. Some may have taken less and found others didn’t have to?

Might be nothing… just musing.
This is a good post. In trying to make sense of what it happening, there has to be a break down in the team whether it's a Wicks type issue or contracts or whatever, I just hope it's not something dodgy.

Any chance Callum Mills simply goes back into defense/back pocket and just plays a role? I think you are so desperate to fit Mills into the role he wants play, you are just ignoring the fact he needs to play the role the team needs from him

Id move Mills into the Matt Roberts role (who should be sub at best) and tell him thats his future at this club. If he wants to be a midfielder then move him on.

Any chance Callum Mills simply goes back into defense/back pocket and just plays a role? I think you are so desperate to fit Mills into the role he wants play, you are just ignoring the fact he needs to play the role the team needs from him

Id move Mills into the Matt Roberts role (who should be sub at best) and tell him thats his future at this club. If he wants to be a midfielder then move him on.

It’s blindingly obvious that without rampe mills should be trying to hold the defence together. But watching him last night (to be fair who wasn’t) he couldn’t defend and spent a helluva lot time berating players up the field. Who deserved it but so did he when he was up there.

That change might improve us to 71-10. It’s more widespread than just that.

Surely trolling. Roberts one of the only players who has given a crap the last 2 weeks.

Play Mills or Fox down back from the start sure, but not for Roberts.

Surely trolling. Roberts one of the only players who has given a crap the last 2 weeks.

He has but I suppose he is fighting for his spot so his effort has been greater. I think Roberts having the ball 20 times however is just taking the ball away from better and more creative players though. The stats Roberts gets id rather give to Mills/Blakey.

Not to say Roberts is a bad footballer. He is welcome at the Eagles every day of the week. He, like Mills has just upset the balance a bit.

He has but I suppose he is fighting for his spot so his effort has been greater. I think Roberts having the ball 20 times however is just taking the ball away from better and more creative players though. The stats Roberts gets id rather give to Mills/Blakey.

Not to say Roberts is a bad footballer. He is welcome at the Eagles every day of the week. He, like Mills has just upset the balance a bit.
When they start working as hard as Roberts then they will.

He has been playing in the backline more or less all year. Blakeys kicking in the first quarter is routinely miss target, miss target, miss target.

Mills isn't creative. Blakey's just as likely to turn it over at the moment.

When they put Esava forward, which was clear from the warmup, Fox should have been sent straight to MG with TMac and Francis on the bigger guys, Blakey not playing as a KPD. Instead we had Blakey on Esava at first bounce, then he was beaten by MG a few times. Eventually we turned to Mills, instead of Fox. And eventually Fox and Logan but the team was shellshocked by that point.

Mills can go to the VFL for a bit and come back when he's got some form/touch.

He has been playing in the backline more or less all year. Blakeys kicking in the first quarter is routinely miss target, miss target, miss target.
What I wouldn’t give for a 2010 style just now of hit to the boundary and force a stoppage. But we can’t win the ball in a stoppage either.

It’s just diabolical how bad we’ve been for weeks n first quarters and it’s now continuing through to half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another spin, maybe more positive, is they were all playing their guys out so that the remaining players would resign. And now the air is releasing from the ballon, followed by a confidence drop that is now hard to turn around.

If there is an issue here, I reckon it might be with Warner, and all the other players feeling like they signed for unders, and now he is holding out for a kings ransom and breaking the trust. Pure speculation of course… and I still think the positive spin version may be more likely (hopefully!).
I doubt Warner is holding out for a king's ransom, as he is still contracted for another year. Negotiations probably won't start in earnest until this off-season anyway.

Another spin, maybe more positive, is they were all playing their guys out so that the remaining players would resign. And now the air is releasing from the ballon, followed by a confidence drop that is now hard to turn around.

If there is an issue here, I reckon it might be with Warner, and all the other players feeling like they signed for unders, and now he is holding out for a kings ransom and breaking the trust. Pure speculation of course… and I still think the positive spin version may be more likely (hopefully!).
In fairness to Warner, the guys that just signed were out of contract this year. Chad still is entitle to wait until next year. His current form though is another discussion.

Brandon Jack gloating on Twitter about how he showed oppo teams how to beat Sydney (on a napkin).

Brandon Jack can GAGF.

Last edited:

You’re absolutely right. Roberts tries and gets stuck in, but his disposal and skills let him down most of the time. It’s actually bad to have him leading our play, because so many of his actions result in a turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back