Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to drop players based off of this tbh as it seems to be the same players each week. Get JJ back into a tagging role because he has been shocking in the last 4-5 weeks as shown in the screenshot which shows the last 5 games for the Swans and the worst performing players sorted by player ratings.

EDIT: Also Wicks produced a -1.3 player rating i don't know if i have seen a rating worse than that, but apparently as per some he is crucial to the set up of scores. B*****T
Am I missing something or are half the players from the team missing from that list?

Am I missing something or are half the players from the team missing from that list?
Thats just the worst 20 performers, top 9 were not included in it. Also just realised we have 6 of the worst 50 performing players in the last 5 games. We should have 3 (if we are average and realistically only 0 or 1 if we were a true top of the table side)

Matty Roberts, Francis and the fitness / coach dude that reminds me of s miniature version of Melican now lined up for check in. Starting to think maybe the flight out this morning was cancelled.

Hayward mentioned he would be taking a later flight back on Sunday compared to other swans players, as he was staying back visiting family. I assume these guys have done the same.

I simply refuse to believe our club will pick Mills in the AFL this week after that performance.
At least until it likely happens :disappointed:

The Mills management has to be up there with picking Reid in the 22 GF.

Parker less so and has at least "somewhat" contributed but Mills **** me you will struggle to find a more diabolical performance.

I simply refuse to believe our club will pick Mills in the AFL this week after that performance.
At least until it likely happens :disappointed:
I’m torn on Mills.

He’s an AA calibre player, who will presumably get better each week.

But he’s coming off an abysmal form base - and clearly should have returned via the VFL.

Should he now go back to VFL? It’d be a brave admission by the club (or Mills himself) that they screwed up.

I’d likely persist with him, what’s done is done.

Tbh I didn’t think we had the personnel to win the flag. Everyone was playing well the first half of the year and we were just clicking. Our team has many weaknesses though. Midfield is slow, we rely on accurate kicking and high pressure which has deserted us. Our defence is workmanlike but not particularly skilled or quick except for Blakey (severely out of form) and McInierney (injured). Our forwards are average at best except for maybe Papley.
Us being top of the table was as much the top teams being inconsistent in form than us being a premiership team. If another top team plays like how Port did, they would beat our best. We rely on our opponents being off the boil in order to win. In our history we always have.

Last edited:
I’m torn on Mills.

But he’s coming off an abysmal form base - and clearly should have returned via the VFL.

Should he now go back to VFL? It’d be a brave admission by the club (or Mills himself) that they screwed up.

Mills is a workhorse and knows he owes us for mad Monday. Must keep him in the firsts so he knows the gap.

He will work at it and he will be primed for the finals. Professionals always get it done.

You can’t say I don’t love this club. I’ve spent the morning scouting for short piers for a few of our senior players to take a long walk off.

Sadly, the piers in Adelaide are quite long.

Can also confirm that no players took my advice to head down to Rundle Mall and take a good hard look at themselves in the big silver balls.
Jetty

Tbh I didn’t think we had the personnel to win the flag. Everyone was playing well the first half of the year and we were just clicking. Our team has many weaknesses though. Midfield is slow, we rely on accurate kicking and high pressure which has deserted us. Our defence is workmanlike but not particularly skilled or quick except for Blakey (severely out of form) and McInierney (injured). Our forwards are average at best except for maybe Papley.
Us being top of the table was as much the top teams being inconsistent in form than us being a premiership team. If another top team plays like how Port did, they would beat our best. We rely on our opponents being off the boil in order to win. In our history we always have.
Agree with much of this.

What it doesn’t explain is how utterly uncompetitive we’ve been in first quarters and now halves an on the weekend matches.

Hard work and effort with little talent beats no hard work, no effort and lots of talent. Just look at 05 and 12. Neither side were considered incredibly talented (yes some special talents in both sides) but won flags on hard work and effort

Pre-bye 2024 Sydney had it all. Post-bye Sydney barely have talent left at this stage

It is either all mental or coaching at this point, imo. I don't know which

Hard work and effort with little talent beats no hard work, no effort and lots of talent. Just look at 05 and 12. Neither side were considered incredibly talented (yes some special talents in both sides) but won flags on hard work and effort
Exactly, even back in 2003 where most tipped us to win the wooden spoon... we did more with less back then. Sure Goodes, ROK, Hall, Kirk and the 2 Boltons were elite but you look at most of the list back then... could you imagine that they would become premiership players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Mills management has to be up there with picking Reid in the 22 GF.

Parker less so and has at least "somewhat" contributed but Mills **** me you will struggle to find a more diabolical performance.
Totally different context. With the Swans 3 games up at the top of the table we wanted to get Mills back into the game and get enough games into him before finals. Having being so dominant we probably assumed we could take his slack but unfortunately this hasn’t been the case.
There would have been an acceptance that he wouldn’t start hot, as a previous all Australian we never could have predicted that Mills would be so ordinary.
I still back him to return to form soon but would like to see him permanently in defence as he clearly doesn’t have the legs to run out games in the mids

I’m torn on Mills.

I really hope we just got back to the structure that served us well for so long, and then pick the best performing playing for each position in our structure. I reckon we have gone away from that and that is part of our problem.

If Mills is not the best performing player for any position, then drop him.

Preview for Friday night. Move on.
Sportsbet certainly thinks we'll win. 1.48 Vs Collingwood 2.67.

Two words: Player lead

Flag winning teams e.g. Brisbane, North, Geelong -it came from the players.

Longmire is correct. This is totally unacceptable. But what has brought this on? We have been slowly going downhill for a period of weeks. The Dogs game was a warning things just weren't right. This is not a warning it is alarming. I can't believe we were dominated so easily. I think there is a problem within the group & Horse had better find out what it is before the finals otherwise blowouts like this will become commonplace. No team goes from being the best to the worst team in the comp without a definitive reason. There has to be a problem.

I saw players coasting. Not trying. I saw contested situations where we were just pushed off the ball. Some of our players did not even try to compete. They just let themselves get pushed around. Our rucks hit the ball directly to Port players all night. Ladhams is not AFL standard. He was woeful. Delist him at the end of the year. We need to drop some players. Bring Gus & Cleary in. Try Arnold. Francis is not up to AFL standard either.

When I see players who are stars of this team coasting and not getting to contests then something is terribly wrong

For those saying Parker should play pure midfield in other threads, he was at 43% of CBs (so most of the bounces while he played) and 10 of his 11 touches were in the centre, after coming on.

I'm not sure he's the answer.
He should be playing forward. Gus in for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back