Geelong and Sydney - can anyone stop them?

Remove this Banner Ad

If they win, Port are no longer a top 8 team.

Which illustrates the point. Brisbane were really not that impressive against a poor side again tonight. They will do well against some sides as they have firepower but id argue they wont win a GF as their defence isnt good enough plus i think mentally they arent tough enough given their finals record.

Since the start of may they have only beaten 2 top 8 teams and those 2 are on fumes (port and melb). Brisbane are playing better but they havent beaten much (its a weak year). The sydney game next week will give a better idea of where they are at.

That is true.

They still made a granny 10 months ago so they're still dangerous if they finish top 4,

Brisbane much more dangerous than Carlton in a final at the MCG.
It's Curnow or bust for them whereas Brisbane have the smalls to run amok if one of Daniher or Hipwood go quiet.
At full strength I think we have enough options up forward, a lot of our fortunes rely on the availability of Jack Martin and Zac Williams. A bit of a grim statement, but true.

Youre the real deal in terms of getting to the GF for sure. But i can see you struggling on GF day itself on the MCG-a lot of the players in 2022 really struggled with that. If you get a weakish side as a GF opponent like freo/ess/port etc it probably wont matter as you will be too good. But if you get us or carlton it probably will matter.
I’m careful to not get ahead of myself but I really suspect it’ll be different this time if the Swans make the big day.

Something like 15 or 16 of the current 23 played in the 2022 GF and I reckon the day is seared in their memory. They would have learned a lot that day. They were a young squad then; now coming into their prime.

Having said that, after seeing us lose our last 3 GFs I’ve learned to keep a lid on expectations.

Delusional. Geelong are gone in 2024 and will be lucky to win 2 more games this year.
Care to revisit this one Jacky boy?

Geelong would be "lucky" to finish on 9 wins, you said.

Well we're on 11 wins now, with:

-Bulldogs, Adelaide and WCE at home
-NM, St Kilda and Freo away

To come.

It's never as bad or good as it seems, ol' Jacky boy.

Care to revisit this one Jacky boy?

Geelong would be "lucky" to finish on 9 wins, you said.

Well we're on 11 wins now, with:

-Bulldogs, Adelaide and WCE at home
-NM, St Kilda and Freo away

To come.

It's never as bad or good as it seems, ol' Jacky boy.
Always glad to be wrong about Geelong. They pulled their finger out and played some newbies in Neale, Mannagh and Humphries, Zach Guthrie is now one of the best defenders in the game and they put SDK in the ruck. The forwards have a new lease of life all of a sudden. No one is happier than me, not sure if they are up to the Swans standard yet, but things are definitely looking up.

Since the start of may they have only beaten 2 top 8 teams and those 2 are on fumes (port and melb). Brisbane are playing better but they havent beaten much (its a weak year). The sydney game next week will give a better idea of where they are at.

Which is only one less top 8 team that Geelong has beaten this season. Sydney and Carlton are really the only two teams that have played generally consistently well against top 8 side.

I do agree this game against Sydney will give us a better indication. I don't think we should be favourites.

Cats would love a home final against an interstate minnow like the giants …. Or would they? 0-4
....And 1-0 in finals 😉

In all seriousness, you won't find a Cats supporter who wants to play the Giants at home.

It's a running joke on our board that the only teams we'd potentially get at KP are the Giants & Freo, and they're the only two who we don't want to play there!

Which is only one less top 8 team that Geelong has beaten this season. Sydney and Carlton are really the only two teams that have played generally consistently well against top 8 side.

I do agree this game against Sydney will give us a better indication. I don't think we should be favourites.
Wins against top 8 teams is a pointless metric right now.

There is a clear top 13. Not too much between 2nd and 13th. That should be used as the "form against non-easy beats" ladder.

Wins against top 8 teams is a pointless metric right now.

There is a clear top 13. Not too much between 2nd and 13th. That should be used as the "form against non-easy beats" ladder.

Agree. There's two games between 2nd and 13th. Notions of 'easy draws' and wins against top 8 sides are absolute nonsense when it's that close unless perhaps you've had double ups against all 3 of Tigers, North and WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong and Sydney - can anyone stop them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back