Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some fans have some very odd choices about who they deride. Mackie was great at the end of last year.
Sadly given how he ended the season if he were 27-28 years of age this wouldn't be an issue. Him turning 32 this year somehow affects that.

So, from today...

In: J.Selwood, Enright, Menzel
Out: Cockatoo (Susp), Cowan, Lang, Ruggles, Bartel (inj?)

(The thing I love about doing this the most is that someone will point out where I've missed someone obvious)

So, from today...

(The thing I love about doing this the most is that someone will point out where I've missed someone obvious)
Hmmm. No Bews, Ruggles, Cowan or Thurlow...

Is that a concession from you for the #GetGuthrieback campaign? ;)

So, from today...

Kersten out, Ruggles in (he was on Balantyne I believe for most of the game, played well), also Bartel won't miss, could have come back on but just rested him instead, nothing really in it.

Kersten out, Ruggles in (he was on Walters I believe for most of the game, played well), also Bartel won't miss, could have come back on but just rested him instead, nothing really in it.
Yep, see above.

Bartel in for who from my list?

Kolo won't play round 1. 4 talls in the backline is not the right structure against Hawthorn.
I reckon that they will play him and I know that this will be an unpopular opinion but I think that they should play him as well.

FB: Enright - Lonergan - Henderson
HB: Kolodjashnij - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Caddy - Bartel
HF: Menzel - Vardy - Motlop
FF: Gregson - Hawkins - McCarthy
R: Smith - Dangerfield - J. Selwood
INT: Stanley - Blicavs - Lang - Mackie

This is what I think Geelong will go with in Round 1. Depends if Bartel is fine to play after another concussion. Lang hasn't done much nab challenge but think they'll go him over GHS.

I reckon that they will play him and I know that this will be an unpopular opinion but I think that they should play him as well.
I would love to see him in the team but can not see who he would play on. I think Henderson has been good the last two weeks, but don't think they will use him up forward (which is one option). I think Vardy has shown enough to get that 2nd forward role and they will go in with the two rucks who will also play the third forward role.

Kolo won't play round 1. 4 talls in the backline is not the right structure against Hawthorn.
They'll play him and play him on a small.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Enright - Lonergan - Henderson
HB: Kolodjashnij - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Caddy - Bartel
HF: Menzel - Vardy - Motlop
FF: Gregson - Hawkins - McCarthy
R: Smith - Dangerfield - J. Selwood
INT: Stanley - Blicavs - Lang - Mackie

This is what I think Geelong will go with in Round 1. Depends if Bartel is fine to play after another concussion. Lang hasn't done much nab challenge but think they'll go him over GHS.
The only difference from your side compared to mine is that I've gone with Murdoch and you've gone with Lang.

I would love to see him in the team but can not see who he would play on. I think Henderson has been good the last two weeks, but don't think they will use him up forward (which is one option). I think Vardy has shown enough to get that 2nd forward role and they will go in with the two rucks who will also play the third forward role.
As far as our defensive match ups go, we need to figure out who the best match up for Gunston is and then everything will stem from that. I'd give the job to Henderson. Kola will play on a variety of mediums and smalls depending on who is down there at the time and even though we will be a bit too top heavy I'd rather see him in the side than Ruggles, Bews or Cowan at this stage.

I agree on Vardy and also going with the 2 rucks as well.

FB: Ruggles - Lonergan - Henderson
HB: Enright - Taylor - Guthrie*
C: Duncan - Dangerfield* - Murdoch
HF: Motlop - Vardy - Gregson
FF: Menzel* - Hawkins - McCarthy
R: Smith - J.Selwood* - Blicavs*
I/C: Stanley - Mackie - Caddy* - Bartel*

* Rotating through the midfield.

Likely that Cockatoo replaces Murdoch once suspension is served. If Roughhead was fit I might go taller in defence but given Hawks smaller lineup I prefer we go smaller. Tempted to not select Vardy but think stretching Hawthorns small backline might pay dividends.

FB: Ruggles - Lonergan - Henderson
HB: Enright - Taylor - Guthrie*
C: Duncan - Dangerfield* - Murdoch
HF: Motlop - Vardy - Gregson
FF: Menzel* - Hawkins - McCarthy
R: Smith - J.Selwood* - Blicavs*
I/C: Stanley - Mackie - Caddy* - Bartel*

* Rotating through the midfield.

Likely that Cockatoo replaces Murdoch once suspension is served. If Roughhead was fit I might go taller in defence but given Hawks smaller lineup I prefer we go smaller. Tempted to not select Vardy but think stretching Hawthorns small backline might pay dividends.

Like that team.

My team vs Hawks.

Guthrie Lonergan Henderson
Enright Taylor Mackie
Duncan Blitz Motlop
Murdoch Vardy Gregson
Menzel Hawk J.Selwood
Smith Danger Caddy
Stanley Kola Bartel McCarthy

Emerg: Lang H-S Cowan
kolo -> Ruggles would be my only change.

From what I've read on the Hawthorn board, their round 1 forwardline will probably look like this;

HF: Rioli Schoenmakers Hodge
F: Puopolo Gunston Breust

Who plays on who?

Ps. Mitchell has 42 possessions with 5min to go, just in case we were deciding whether or not to play someone on him

If we get pantsed out the back it really doesn't matter who our small defenders are. I say go in tall, load up the midfield and put absolute pressure on them to kick hurriedly into their forward line. May as well find out early if we can play them all and compete against the very best. Our talls forward along with Stanley and Smith to wear them down eventually. Blicavs to Mitchell. Bartel to Hodge.

Enright Lonergan Mackie
Henderson Taylor Guthrie
Duncan Dangerfield Motlop
Caddy Vardy Bartel
Menzel Hawkins Gregson
Smith Selwood Blicavs
Stanley McCarthy Murdoch Lang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back