Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of meat the Hawks small quicks would make mince out of that backline. In the highly unlikely event we should follow that folly load up on the Hawks quickly.
Best you do then. It will be that or very similar to it. There are five locks and Guthrie.

Mitchell is a sniping prick…

but you have to hand it to the guy - 32 YO and grabbing 45 touches… most of them outstanding. :thumbsu:

Cant stand the guy out there and will sledge him every chance i get - but he has my respect as a footy player… a dick… but a footy player nonetheless.

Go Catters

but you have to hand it to the guy - 32 YO and grabbing 45 touches… most of them outstanding. :thumbsu:

Cant stand the guy out there and will sledge him every chance i get - but he has my respect as a footy player… a dick… but a footy player nonetheless.

Go Catters
Blicavs goes to Mitchell here ... you heard it here first. I think he'll quell him as well.

Mitchell cleared - I have never been so surprised...

giphy.gif

Blicavs goes to Mitchell here ... you heard it here first. I think he'll quell him as well.
There was a discussion on this earlier…

Not the first time I've seen it bit not the worst idea out there.

Im sure it was in this thread but I like it for several reasons.
1- It means we actually have someone accounting for Mitchell. Thats a start.
2 - Blitz is long on the arms and has good reactions and speed.
3 - Has the tank to run with him - maybe not the fast pace - but he wont be outrun by Mitchell over the game.
4 - Blitz HAS to make Mitchell accountable for him. Push forward when we get the pill and kick goals, or at least be a link in the chain that gets goals. Letting Mitchell not pay attention will be the end of it.

Go Catters

There was a discussion on this earlier…

Not the first time I've seen it bit not the worst idea out there.

Im sure it was in this thread but I like it for several reasons.
1- It means we actually have someone accounting for Mitchell. Thats a start.
2 - Blitz is long on the arms and has good reactions and speed.
3 - Has the tank to run with him - maybe not the fast pace - but he wont be outrun by Mitchell over the game.
4 - Blitz HAS to make Mitchell accountable for him. Push forward when we get the pill and kick goals, or at least be a link in the chain that gets goals. Letting Mitchell not pay attention will be the end of it.

Go Catters
If not Blitz then GHS. George has the tank to run with him and has played the total lock down role in the past

Go Catters
This is where it breaks down in my opinion. Mitchell would be happy to let Blicavs get 20 touches if it gives him the space to get 40. If you want to make him accountable make him go head to head with Dangerfield

This is where it breaks down in my opinion. Mitchell would be happy to let Blicavs get 20 touches if it gives him the space to get 40. If you want to make him accountable make him go head to head with Dangerfield
I'd be backing Dangerfield and Selwood to exploit their ageing midfield now that Shiels is out. We have a distinct advantage through the middle of the ground now and quelling Mitchell makes it almost impossible for Hawthorn to get enough quality delivery to their forwards, which makes our Achilles heel (our defence being too tall) our strength if they're forced to bomb it long.

Blicavs has comprehensively beaten Pendlebury and now both Fyfe and Mundy so he can do the job.

I agree with that.. bugger making him accountable. Just shut him down completely IMO, if whoever is on him even looks for the footy Mitchell will slip out the back and get in space all alone before we know what has happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't remember that but I'll take your word for it:thumbsu:
It's true, although becoming like Taylor Hunt's single claim to fame as a tagger being that game on Marc Murphy. GHS needs to find some more scalps but I don't think he will get a game against Hawthorn.

B: Kolodjashnij, Lonergan, Enright
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Bartel
C: Caddy, Guthrie, Blicavs
HF: Menzel, Vardy, Motlop
F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
R: Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood
INT: Duncan, Murdoch, Stanley, Horlin-Smith

Would be a bit rough on Henderson but we're tall enough to begin with. If he does play, a straight swap for Hyphen you'd imagine.
Not to be a negative Nancy but that backline gets shredded. Bartel needs to be far away from the defence and i feel Ruggles has done enough to get a spot in.

This will interest STP18 too I feel.

Compare the pair.

Dale Thomas. Intentional, low impact to the head. 1 match sanction (with guilty plea)

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-03-11/daisy-living-dangerously

Sam Mitchell. I'd classify it as intentional and low impact to the head (comparable to Thomas). Nothing to see here o_O

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2016-03-12/nab-3-highlights-v-kangaroos (1:13)
Gee Thomas is bloody stiff there. 2 down to 1 when Laidler clearly acted up, yet that Norf bloke was genuinely floored and not even a fine. At least the MRP is still consistently inconsistent.

I'd be backing Dangerfield and Selwood to exploit their ageing midfield now that Shiels is out. We have a distinct advantage through the middle of the ground now and quelling Mitchell makes it almost impossible for Hawthorn to get enough quality delivery to their forwards, which makes our Achilles heel (our defence being too tall) our strength if they're forced to bomb it long.

Blicavs has comprehensively beaten Pendlebury and now both Fyfe and Mundy so he can do the job.
Exactally.

I think Having a starting centre square of;
Smith - No.1 ruckman
Dangerfield - Attacking mid
Selwood/Caddy - Attacking mid
Blicavs - Tagging Mitchell

Will give us the best chance to beat Hawthorn

I'm not sure why you guys are surprised Mitchell wasn't looked at. There's no longer any doubt that the MRP are corrupt.

I'm not sure why you guys are surprised Mitchell wasn't looked at. There's no longer any doubt that the MRP are corrupt.
I was fully confident he'd get off, but to offer a 2 week ban to Dale Thomas for a very similar act in the same week isn't a good look. They were handing out fines last year for sneezing on other blokes.

I am not convinced Joel (or Scooter) will be ready for Round 1. Cocky will be out for his sling tackle and of course, Thurlow is out for the season. Menegola and Smedts are also injured. Obviously Clark will miss also.

So its time to get the best 22 out there for the Hawks to take on.

We did not play GHS, Menzel and Boris against WC - but they are still likely to line up against the Hawks IMO. GHS because we still need some contested ball getters with both Selwoods unlikely to be there and Menzel has looked so far to me. And Boris is always a starter for me.

Smith has been might for us in the NAB Cup games and Paddy is already starring. So for sure two ins from last season.

Cowan, Murdoch and Henderson I am unsure about as they have been ok but not much more. And Kolo has not been great either.

I expect they will all improve over the season but they are not necessarily starters in the first round. Maybe Henderson ahead of Kolo because of his experience - but that would make for a very tall backline unless Guthrie also plays down back. That would help add a bit of pace and better ground ball gets IMO.

I cannot wait until both Selwoods are fit as they are the missing pieces of the jigsaw for me. Add them to the guts and we will have a pretty decent midfield. Then if we can get Clark fit we have a lot of options re CHF and second rucks.

So we start with 2 very hard games in Hawks and GWS (at home). Hawks are always a hard team to beat and GWS look up and about to me. Then as we get players back (Selwoods and Clark) over the season we should go from strength to strength and string quite a few games together.

Go Catters

I decided to watch him very closely and although he is very good, he ran around with no one giving a **** about stopping him. He had no North opponent anywhere near him all game, no wonder he racked up 45.

Not to be a negative Nancy but that backline gets shredded. Bartel needs to be far away from the defence and i feel Ruggles has done enough to get a spot in.
That's not overtly negative. It's a fairly slow backline, but I don't feel that our other options are any better.

Also I think the hate for Bartel down back is overheated on this board as a whole - and largely based on a few rather ambitious decisions on the last line of defence last year. He's still incredibly good in the contest and doesn't often get beaten. We could certainly do worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back