Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not convinced Joel (or Scooter) will be ready for Round 1. Cocky will be out for his sling tackle and of course, Thurlow is out for the season. Menegola and Smedts are also injured. Obviously Clark will miss also.

So its time to get the best 22 out there for the Hawks to take on.

We did not play GHS, Menzel and Boris against WC - but they are still likely to line up against the Hawks IMO. GHS because we still need some contested ball getters with both Selwoods unlikely to be there and Menzel has looked so far to me. And Boris is always a starter for me.

Smith has been might for us in the NAB Cup games and Paddy is already starring. So for sure two ins from last season.

Cowan, Murdoch and Henderson I am unsure about as they have been ok but not much more. And Kolo has not been great either.

I expect they will all improve over the season but they are not necessarily starters in the first round. Maybe Henderson ahead of Kolo because of his experience - but that would make for a very tall backline unless Guthrie also plays down back. That would help add a bit of pace and better ground ball gets IMO.

I cannot wait until both Selwoods are fit as they are the missing pieces of the jigsaw for me. Add them to the guts and we will have a pretty decent midfield. Then if we can get Clark fit we have a lot of options re CHF and second rucks.

So we start with 2 very hard games in Hawks and GWS (at home). Hawks are always a hard team to beat and GWS look up and about to me. Then as we get players back (Selwoods and Clark) over the season we should go from strength to strength and string quite a few games together.
Yep so with all that said, what do think our starting 22 should be against Hawthorn?

I was fully confident he'd get off, but to offer a 2 week ban to Dale Thomas for a very similar act in the same week isn't a good look. They were handing out fines last year for sneezing on other blokes.
To be fair to the MRP, one was a push to the face the other was a swinging elbow to the neck.

My 22 for Round 1:

FB: Enright - Lonergan - Henderson
HB: Guthrie - Taylor - Mackie
C: Duncan - Caddy - Murdoch
HF: Menzel - Vardy - Motlop
FF: Gregson - Hawkins - McCarthy
R: Smith - Blicavs - Dangerfield
INT: Bartel - Stanley - Lang - Horlin-Smith

Lang and Horlin-Smith are both lucky.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

My 22 for Round 1:

"What about me?"

image.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't rate Horlin-Smith to be honest. Lang has been poor throughout the pre-season but will be a good player in time.

Yep so with all that said, what do think our starting 22 should be against Hawthorn?

I have been preoccupied by building my new house so here is my best guess for the best 22 come round 1 (given injuries and suspensions) -

Same as Motlop Magic's team.

That gives us quite a few midfield options, has the height in key positions and has a balanced look about it except for having so many inexperienced players in it.

When both Selwoods and Mitch Clark are available then we will see a more balanced team again. Add these 3 and the experience level goes up significantly and we become a much harder proposition IMO.

I do not think Murdoch, Vardy and Lang are consistent contributors yet but they represent our best bets for Round 1. Of course they will get better with more senior experience but that does not help us a lot in Round 1. Gregson and McCarthy are babes still, GHS still needs time to develop IMO and Motlop has yet to really hit any real heights in his NAB Cup appearances. And Henderson will need time to work into how the back 6 play. Menzel I think will probably be a bit inconsistent given he has had so many injuries and has so little senior experience.

So, although I always want and believe Geelong can win every game - realistically we will be up against Rounds 1 & 2 IMO. Right now I would take 1 win and 1 loss from the first 2 games. I think we get better each game assuming we have no injuries.

My 22 for Round 1:

Like that side, but I'd swap GHS for Selwood, and I'd give Ruggles a crack in lieu of Lang.

I think one of Bews and Ruggles needs to play. Backline will be too tall and slow for the Hawks if we don't add another small down there along with Guthre. It will probably be Ruggles based on how things have gone in the NAB. I guess the coaches also seem to like Cowan down there, but I don't think he's shown nearly enough to warrant a spot.

Yep. Selwood in for Horlin-Smith if fit and I wouldn't have a problem with Ruggles in place of Lang.

I think Selwood for GHS is self explanatory, and Ruggles has done ok and would give us another small across the backline, which would be handy against the Hawks.

B Enright Lonners Henderson
HB Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C Duncan Blicavs Caddy
HF Motlop Vardy Gregson
FF McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
R Smith Danger Selwood
I Stanley Bartel Cowan Murdoch

Kolo unlucky but we are tall and Mackie has runs on the board and an offensive kick.
Cowan gets in cos of his attack on the ball and his run and carry (closest to wojo we have), his nab 3 wasn't bad and has more upside than Ruggles.
Lang unlucky but hasnt shown enough.
Blicavs tags Lewis or Hodge not Mitchell, Mitchell is too nimble. IF Mitchell needs to be tagged then Guthrie goes to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back