Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all good and well but for mine, both Danger and Sel stand in the square for the first bounce of the season.
Shhhhh......Selwood isn't on the team sheet. ;)

You would expect a drop in %. But difficult to maintain 160%. Cats have to lift from 100% to at least 120% to have a chance. Where will the cats extra 3-4 goals come from?
Based on the 3 Nab games - Id say small forwards and rucks pushing forward.

Smith and Stanley have both kicked goals - a few each actually - which has been totally absent as a segment of our game pretty much since Otto.
So there are a few there.

Also, since Chappy we have struggled in the small forward department. McCarthy, Gregson and even Menzel ( not really a small) can add class and pressure here and have all kicked goals this NAB.

Go Catters

Based on the 3 Nab games - Id say small forwards and rucks pushing forward.

Smith and Stanley have both kicked goals - a few each actually - which has been totally absent as a segment of our game pretty much since Otto.
So there are a few there.

Also, since Chappy we have struggled in the small forward department. McCarthy, Gregson and even Menzel ( not really a small) can add class and pressure here and have all kicked goals this NAB.

Go Catters
I think the big difference with goals Daz actually comes from the center square. For the first time since 2011 the ball has a chance of going forward first rather than going backwards and relying on our defenders to intercept. (I think the commentators refer to it as slingshot defense). If Hawkies stats are right (4 goals a game) we only need the ball going forward an extra half a game to stop there goal and get one for ourself. (12 point play).

Ok, I'm now ready to pick a side.

B: Guthrie, Lonergan, Henderson
HB: Murdoch, Taylor, Enright
C: Blicavs, Duncan, Motlop
HF: McCarthy, Vardy, Menzel
F: Selwood, Hawkins, Lang

R: Smith, Dangerfield, Caddy

Int: Stanley, Bartel, Gregson, Mackie.

#note how I hid Selwood behind a goal post. Maybe Clarko won't see him :)

Pretty good side there VC, though Lang's pre-season form, or lack of it, raises a question for me.

I'm with CE on this one......would be tempted to take in an extra defender. We have plenty of goal kickers in that side, and think Lang's omission as a forward would impact less than the lack of another defender.

Guthrie has been named down back by he and club. They that identified Bartel on Mitchell; excellent. It'll mean he won't play week after as Mitchell spends his time getting the ball and giving corky's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
where did you hear this

Just wondering guys, Jordan Murdoch has averaged 10 touches a game in the nab cup. Is that good enough for a guy approaching 80 games? He doesn't seem overly damaging with his 10 touches. Would love to get some thoughts. (Don't want to seem like a Murdoch whipping boy, though).

Just wondering guys, Jordan Murdoch has averaged 10 touches a game in the nab cup. Is that good enough for a guy approaching 80 games? He doesn't seem overly damaging with his 10 touches. Would love to get some thoughts. (Don't want to seem like a Murdoch whipping boy, though).

Not sure if its just my wacky fatigued thinking… but is there a parallel between Murda and TV appearing. Both got fed games when perhaps their form didn't warrant it. Both have uncanny ability to do the unexpected. Both have pace, quality skills and the most frustrating ability to disappear at any given moment.
And perhaps most leaves the supports foaming at the mouth as to why?

Just my 2c…

And no this is not an invitation to turn this into a TV thread.

GO Catters

Not sure if its just my wacky fatigued thinking… but is there a parallel between Murda and TV appearing. Both got fed games when perhaps their form didn't warrant it. Both have uncanny ability to do the unexpected. Both have pace, quality skills and the most frustrating ability to disappear at any given moment.
And perhaps most leaves the supports foaming at the mouth as to why?

Just my 2c…

And no this is not an invitation to turn this into a TV thread.

GO Catters

You're not imagining it - I think there is a parallel.

Everyone can see a talent within, but don't see the consistency, which frustrates all.

He only played half a game in the last one, and I think also in the first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He only played half a game in the last one, and I think also in the first.
That's true.. i am pretty sure he came on at half time NAB 1 and I thought he got reasonably well involved

He is a source of great frustration still, has many weapons.. I personally think the one between his ears is what causes him to struggle

That's true.. i am pretty sure he came on at half time NAB 1 and I thought he got reasonably well involved

He is a source of great frustration still, has many weapons.. I personally think the one between his ears is what causes him to struggle
He frustrates me too, but he is only 23 and has at least gotten better year-on-year. Still, this is basically the year when he needs to cement a spot in the first 22 . Sixty games is roughly when players supposedly come good. There's a spot off the half-back flank available if he's good enough.

No handicaps in football. How many games he has played is completely irrelevant to the contribution he will provide.

Sell Lang to me.

More about what he could be than what he currently is. For his development he would benefit from starting the season and be given at least half a dozen games to prove himself worthy of staying in the team. I like his "potential" combination of ball winning ability, ability to kick on both sides well, speed and toughness. He has a long way to go but the signs, for me anyway, are of a player that could develop quite quickly if given the confidence of the MC.

Do you guys not have faith in Kolo

I think he showed a lot last year but his pre-season has been a touch disappointing. He misses purely due to matchup concerns for mine. I do worry though that he could quickly become disillusioned if not given a substantial go in the seniors. He should come back in soon enough.

More about what he could be than what he currently is. For his development he would benefit from starting the season and be given at least half a dozen games to prove himself worthy of staying in the team. I like his "potential" combination of ball winning ability, ability to kick on both sides well, speed and toughness. He has a long way to go but the signs, for me anyway, are of a player that could develop quite quickly if given the confidence of the MC.
Fair enough. It's a judgement call. I pretty much always lean to side of earn your spot with good VFL form but I know it often doesn't play out that way.

Fair enough. It's a judgement call. I pretty much always lean to side of earn your spot with good VFL form but I know it often doesn't play out that way.
I think we are happy with how he developed last season, after that it would be harsh for him to miss out just on a few practice matches... BUT the good news is if he misses out it is because someone who has been better is in..

We have hunger, depth and competition for spots... Can only be a good thing

I think we are happy with how he developed last season, after that it would be harsh for him to miss out just on a few practice matches... BUT the good news is if he misses out it is because someone who has been better is in..

We have hunger, depth and competition for spots... Can only be a good thing
Yeah, good point. But I do think if he makes the 22 someone has missed out more deserving (on current form). That's not a bad thing though, as you say.

Yeah, good point. But I do think if he makes the 22 someone has missed out more deserving (on current form). That's not a bad thing though, as you say.
Yeah he hasn't really done anything to grab that spot that is for sure.. if he isn't picked I hope it sets a precedent for the year for players picked on form and not on potential/past deeds

Yeah he hasn't really done anything to grab that spot that is for sure.. if he isn't picked I hope it sets a precedent for the year for players picked on form and not on potential/past deeds
*insert "LOL, you new here?" gag*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back