Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the big difference with goals Daz actually comes from the center square. For the first time since 2011 the ball has a chance of going forward first rather than going backwards and relying on our defenders to intercept. (I think the commentators refer to it as slingshot defense). If Hawkies stats are right (4 goals a game) we only need the ball going forward an extra half a game to stop there goal and get one for ourself. (12 point play).
exactly this - our forward line looks a bit stronger with mccarthy and vardy (if he can stay fit), our backline a little weaker with thurlow out and henderson in. but with dangerfield and smith in the middle of the ground we should see the ball spend a lot more time in our forward half compared with 2015

the percentage boost we need (not in and of itself, but because percentage tends to be a reasonable indicator of wins/losses) will come, if we improve markedly this year, largely from an improved supply to the forwards

at the same time - hawkins 2015 vs hawkins 2016, walker 2015 vs vardy 2016, lang/cockatoo fwd 2015 vs mccarthy 2016 - all look like they could be significant upgrades at this early stage

It was Hayes, and it was seven years ago.

Thanks for the correction.

It is also another 7 years for Mitchell. Both are genuine stars of the game IMO - but the point here is if we quell Mitchell with Bartel it would be a win for us. I just know where Bartel plays really - but I think him ideal to play on a slower player like Mitchell. Leg speed is no issue for Jimmy and he will out mark Mitchell if the ball is delivered in a reasonable fashion as that is his asset over Mitchell - he is taller and has better marking hands than Mitchell. It gives Bartel a role to play that otherwise seems a bit general to me.

Our back six are solid too.
I'm not really sold on that. most of our defenders had not-so-good seasons in 2016, including guys like Taylor and Lonergan, who played a huge role in our recent "golden era", and unfortunately as they age, I dont think they're going to get much better. Our defence is one of my concerns heading into 2016, and especially with Thurlow out, we've got to hope that we can use a more clever tactical approach to make up it (much like West Coast did when they lost their Mackenzie and Brown). Henderson may be a solid centre-halfback for us, but I dont think he's capable of taking the big gun forwards such as Buddy, Kennedy, etc.

My team:

Fb. Enright. Lonergan. Taylor
Hb. Guthrie. Henderson. Mackie
C. Duncan. Caddy. Gregson
Hf. Menzel. Vardy. Motlop
Ff. McCarthy. Hawkins. selwood
Fol. smith. Dangerfield. Blicavs
Int. Stanley. Bartel. Lang. Murdoch
Emerg. Kolo. Ruggles. HS

Notes:

- blitz to tag mitchell

- Murdoch and bartel to drift back to help numbers in defence. Murdoch to not be a defender due to poor awareness but instead. Be an option to run out of defence. Bartel to be loose man and to also drift forward.

- Guthrie to Cyril, mackie to bruest, enright to pop. BUT our gameplan vs Hawks will need to focus on team defence where the mids help out the defenders to apply pressure. THIS IS WHAT WILL STOP HAWKS' SMALL FWDS.

- selwood to go to the guts after starting forward to create a mismatch.

- McCarthy and gregson to focus on defensive pressure. Gregson to play wing at times.

Woah, woah.

Guthrie played back against Fremantle.
He only went to the middle when danger and Duncan went off.
Which was an obvious necessity.

And then we were cut up by smalls down back.

I'd like to find a spot for ruggles or Bews.
Yes I know one is still unproven. And Bews is obviously injured.

I can't see it.

We'll see. Only 9 days to go.
Yeah I agree, Ruggles to come in. I like Lang a lot but he's suffering third blues and seems out of touch. He'll find it again but not in time for round one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My team:

Fb. Enright. Lonergan. Taylor
Hb. Guthrie. Henderson. Mackie
C. Duncan. Caddy. Gregson
Hf. Menzel. Vardy. Motlop
Ff. McCarthy. Hawkins. selwood
Fol. smith. Dangerfield. Blicavs
Int. Stanley. Bartel. Lang. Murdoch
Emerg. Kolo. Ruggles. HS

The risk with this side is the back line is one paced.
The moment you rotate Guthrie out of there, you're left with the 30year olds and over 190cm slow brigade trying to contain Bruest, Cyril, Puopolo and whoever else gets rotated down there. I think it leaves us very vulnerable at ground level with no pace or tackling ability.

I think we need at least two out of Kolo, Bews, GHS or Ruggles in the side as defensive options.
I would have them at the expense of Bartel & Mackie. Sorry guys.

The risk with this side is the back line is one paced.
The moment you rotate Guthrie out of there, you're left with the 30year olds and over 190cm slow brigade trying to contain Bruest, Cyril, Puopolo and whoever else gets rotated down there. I think it leaves us very vulnerable at ground level with no pace or tackling ability.

I think we need at least two out of Kolo, Bews, GHS or Ruggles in the side as defensive options.
I would have them at the expense of Bartel & Mackie. Sorry guys.

But kolo is a key defender and we can't play 4 key defenders. Ghs is slow and bews is not up to it for mine. I guess you could put in ruggles but is he ready to face the premiere? Would only drop Murdoch from that 22 for him

Feel that Ghs will be in for Lang
Because if he extracts the pill you can use dangers, Duncan's, motlops pace to advantage
His lack of pace can become irrelevant

If the midfield holds its own our defence will not look slow

But kolo is a key defender and we can't play 4 key defenders. Ghs is slow and bews is not up to it for mine. I guess you could put in ruggles but is he ready to face the premiere? Would only drop Murdoch from that 22 for him

I personally wouldn't call Kolo a key defender just yet- I think he's young and mobile enough to still cover a mid sized forward if he had too.
GHS is slow but has endurance and is good enough at ground level to contest against cyril and Puopolo. Certainly no slower than Bartel.
I see Bews being useful purely in a negating role, ie if you just sat him on Puopolo or Hodge.
Ruggles- why not put him in? He did well against a full strength Dockers line up.

A side with Gunston, Bruest, Cyril, Puopolo, Hodge + whoever...they'll carve up Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, Henderson, Taylor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sick of this game being on a Monday. Makes the wait long and forces us into a 6 day break cycle. Let's move it to a Saturday.
Really? I love it being on a Monday. No need to balance it with any Easter prep, always a great feel about the G, perfect way to spend a public holiday if you ask me. 6 day cycle is annoying but at least it's the start of the year.

Crowds should include a few more neutrals this year as expectations of a closer game are higher than last year.
More Cats fans should make the journey to the big smoke to see their prized recruit and savior.
Lets hope the weather is good.

Crowds should include a few more neutrals this year as expectations of a closer game are higher than last year.
More Cats fans should make the journey to the big smoke to see their prized recruit and savior.

Widely acknowledged as being a significant recruitment, but haven't seen him referred to as such here.

I suspect you're being a little provocative. Anyhow.....

Let's hope for good weather, a huge crowd, no injuries and a close game.

I don't know how easy it'll be to find Wylie Buzza in a crowd of 80,000 people though - should he do a walk around the ground first?

Widely acknowledged as being a significant recruitment, but haven't seen him referred to as such here.

I suspect you're being a little provocative. Anyhow.....
I just want to see Willy Buzza play
Let's hope for good weather, a huge crowd, no injuries and a close game.
I agree with nearly everything,but I hate close games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back