Review Geelong defeats Lions by 1 point - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m pointing out that his endurance is still questionable with his 1 disposal in the last and fading out in the 4th qtr

hence his 55% TOG for a whole 127 mins
How do you know the game time isn't being determined by the coaching staff I bet it is not random.

Got to say I like Atkins...was good tonight, hard, tough and in there when Selwood was being belted...
9 frees against in 2 weeks. Not something you want from a defender.

he is finding more of the ball though although stats are hard to evaluate in our defenders given how much chipping around the backline they play.

And you are surprised? Dahlhaus has been terrible for a while now.

Dahl was great last year he is clearly underdone off a interrupted pre season and i doubt hed be playing if we didnt have other injuries.

And Smith and Selwood.
Smiths kicking was terrible Though. Kept missing easy hit up passes. I downgraded his game significantly due to that. Selwood was number 3. But Hawkins and Stewart were dominant. Hawkins ruck work was just unbelievable and he was our lone marking option all night up foward against a great defence. Stewart will end up with 5 all Australians if he doesn’t get injured.

How do you know the game time isn't being determined by the coaching staff I bet it is not random.

Its probably done that way because he struggles to have the gas to run defensively for 4 quarters. Still not best 22 until he improves that imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dahl was great last year he is clearly underdone off a interrupted pre season and i doubt hed be playing if we didnt have other injuries.
His tackle count was well down last year on 2019 and it got worse as the year wore on. In his last 6 games he only had 10 tackles and 1 single goal as a small foward. That’s pretty poor. Especially given 3 of those games were critical finals.

Kreuger for Rohan and Narkle for Dahlhaus.
Miers is developing fine but because he jumped out of the box right away, expectations were lifted.
Really can't do any worse with Kreuger in the line up as Rohan is giving the club 6 touches, 3 marks and a goal per game at the moment.

I'd go Close and Narkle personally; Rohan gets plaudits for his defensive pressure (and tbh I do enjoy watching him play on those increasingly rare occasions when he is 'on' - exciting player at his best despite his frailties ...) but I thought Close was no slouch in this area himself.

I respect Dahlhaus as a player, begrudgingly, but he is a dour footballer for a small forward. Puts his body on the line and his head over the ball. But lacks polish and general forward nous. Would very happily see Q. Narkle take his spot.

I reckon Krueger will ultimately go the way of Josh Walker, Mitch Brown and Shane Kersten, with even less senior football to show for it. Can't see him cracking the team in any way shape or form.

Smiths kicking was terrible Though. Kept missing easy hit up passes. I downgraded his game significantly due to that. Selwood was number 3. But Hawkins and Stewart were dominant. Hawkins ruck work was just unbelievable and he was our lone marking option all night up foward against a great defence. Stewart will end up with 5 all Australians if he doesn’t get injured.

His kicking was hit and miss but his gut running to present options when half our team was out on its feet stopped brisbane overrunning us late. The fact that he got back in the last conest to rush the behind speaks volumes.

But i agree hawkins and stewart are simply amazing.

Take the win bank the points, get the win next week and start getting players back and we can build into the year. Danger Duncan, Cameron will make a big difference. Hell I would love to get Simpson back as well and I suppose Menegola even if I don’t rate him.

His kicking was hit and miss but his gut running to present options when half our team was out on its feet stopped brisbane overrunning us late. The fact that he got back in the last conest to rush the behind speaks volumes.

But i agree hawkins and stewart are simply amazing.
I agree his gut running was fantastic. If he hit targets his game would of been as good as those two.

Who replaces them though?

This is the 15 senior listed players who'll be lining up in the vfl this afternoon - it's easy to say we need to replace guys in the senior side, but we don't exactly have a lot of options at the moment

• 9 – Max Holmes
  • 10 – Ben Jarvis
  • 11 – Josh Jenkins
  • 15 – Nathan Krueger
  • 16 – Sam De Koning
  • 19 – Quinton Narkle
  • 20 – Oscar Brownless
  • 21 – Nick Stevens
  • 22 – Mitch Duncan
  • 28 – Darcy Fort
  • 33 – Shannon Neale
  • 39 – Zach Guthrie
  • 41 – Cam Taheny
  • 43 – Stefan Okunbor
  • 45 – Bradley Close

Menegola comes back next week IMO, as he was 50-50 this week. Dunc should be back in if he's fit, and I'd give Holmes his debut, if he has another cracker.

OUT: Rohan (probably suspended lol), Dahl, Miers
IN: Dunc, Menegola, Holmes

Menegola comes back next week IMO, as he was 50-50 this week. Dunc should be back in if he's fit, and I'd give Holmes his debut, if he has another cracker.

OUT: Rohan (probably suspended lol), Dahl, Miers
IN: Dunc, Menegola, Holmes
And who exactly are our forwards? Seriously we need forwards people like every other side in history.

i would drop Dalhaus though.

with Rohan out can we give Krueger a go?

Decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times

Have disagreed with your views on Parfitt overall Gero, but I can't deny the above - I thought he was pretty good last week, but showed some of his worst tendencies at times tonight. Still think he is a potential gun and overall I'm content with his output.
Not like there are other two-way mids knocking down the door for games on our list ..

Last edited:
Agree on dropping Dahlhaus. Real questions on Clarke I reckon - poor decision making and gets caught a lot - looked slow last week and got caught tonight playing on. Not convinced at all.

I reckon he is a defender who is being played out of position but agree at the moment he looks a long way off it. I'm worried we have stuffed him as a footballer because I have no doubt he has heaps of talent. Just not convinced at all that he is a wingman or mid. How bloody good did he look as a defender playing in year 1. He knew what to do and didn't hesitate. Some people just read the ball much better back there than anywhere else.

Not ready to give up by a long shot but looks a kid totally devoid of confidence at the moment. He even looked a little soft in the air and I have seen he isn't when confident. Concerns but persist for a long while with this kid cause could still be special I think

Who replaces them though?

This is the 15 senior listed players who'll be lining up in the vfl this afternoon - it's easy to say we need to replace guys in the senior side, but we don't exactly have a lot of options at the moment

• 9 – Max Holmes
  • 10 – Ben Jarvis
  • 11 – Josh Jenkins
  • 15 – Nathan Krueger
  • 16 – Sam De Koning
  • 19 – Quinton Narkle
  • 20 – Oscar Brownless
  • 21 – Nick Stevens
  • 22 – Mitch Duncan
  • 28 – Darcy Fort
  • 33 – Shannon Neale
  • 39 – Zach Guthrie
  • 41 – Cam Taheny
  • 43 – Stefan Okunbor
  • 45 – Bradley Close

True injuries are an issue.

Next week you go menegola and duncan for CC and Dahl i think.

Long term the guys you mentioned arent best 22 when we are fully fit.

Review Geelong defeats Lions by 1 point - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back