Review Geelong defeats Lions by 85 points

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of those players were running without an opponent all game, whose opposite number has 38 touches and 2 goals and who played in 85 point losses?
Who cares? No one I presume. Weird you say no opponent too, you replied to me during the game to say Duncan was on him :oops:

Fail.

Happy enough for Scott Selwood to come in but I hope it is not at expense of Menegola's midfield time. I think to win the Premiership we need ball winners in midfield. Menegola offers more than Scott Selwood.
On Saturday night my mind was cast back to the knock on him when we recruited him. Poor disposal.
He was good last week but gee his ball use was shocking on Saturday.

Long time reader, first time (in a long while) poster.

Geez we are spoilt, so much so, that winning well and not just winning becomes the norm. We were good tonight, in fact we were excellent.

My favorite hobby on bigfooty is to read the Collingwood board when they lose or they are losing, because they are beyong ruthless. E.G. Buckley needs the guilotine (the man that carried them through the 90s and early 2000s. Also 'we should trade Treloar back to GWS for a 2nd rounder')

We are Geelong, we are not them. Since the days that Ablett Snr would kick 14 goals in a losing side, we respect modesty and a good all round effort. If we lost, 'que sera sera'. We gave it a crack, the good players played well and the mediocre players were mediocre.

However, since 2007 we expect a lot. In fact, we expect too much. We have the best captain this club has ever had (and we take this for granted). We have the best key forward since God. We have the most explosive midfielder since Chris Judd, and as a result we win a hell of a lot more games than we lose (case in point, Freo two weeks ago. We had no right to win that game).
Basically what I'm saying is that we should embrace this period of football as if every game is the last time we win. Because we are blessed. Yes, Rhys Stanley is not Brad Ottens. Yes Steven Motlop has now become as inconsistent as Ronnie Burns,. Yes, Mark Blicavs can show glimpses of the worst of David Mensch, but he can also show glimpses of the best of Joel Corey. Blicavs won a best and fairest (any man who beats Joel Selwood to a B&F in this era should have a statue erected). He was in his third year playing AFL when he won the B&F and we will forever set the ceiling on him to repeat that level of consistency, rather than a man who is still learning the game from scratch (who will make mistakes from time to time).

Basically what I'm saying is that anyone that finds any negavtives against an 85 point win to Brisbane needs to just take a deep breath and reflect. Reflect on losing 9 in a row in 1999. Reflect on losing to West Coast in 2006 after being up by close to 50 points.

We are blessed with this period and take the good with the bad, because the former very much outweighs the latter. Yiew
One helluva post.:)

Is Mackie still in our best 22?

To me he needs to be 15 metres in the clear with no pressure to do anything effectively and any time he is in traffic or under pressure just fumbles or causes a turnover. Even in this game where there wasn't a lot of pressure it happened on numerous occasions and against GWS thought it was even more prevalent so not sure how that will stand up in a pressure final.

How many of those players were running without an opponent all game, whose opposite number has 38 touches and 2 goals and who played in 85 point losses?
Was looking for a segue. Cheers.
85pts with Zoeko putting up a truly great game.

Games ahead of Zoeko include Buddy's THIRTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN, SJ's 34 and 7 in said game above, Le Frenchman's 10 at Etihad and Gary going 41 and 4 with 13 clearances for the Suns v Adelaide ( #PFD kicked 6 :D). Some game by Zoeko. Could have been a far greater margin.
My take away from this is that North is the team most likely to get a superman performance against them.

To me he needs to be 15 metres in the clear with no pressure to do anything effectively and any time he is in traffic or under pressure just fumbles or causes a turnover. Even in this game where there wasn't a lot of pressure it happened on numerous occasions and against GWS thought it was even more prevalent so not sure how that will stand up in a pressure final.

He has been surprisingly good this year but yeah, this game was one of those ones he can have where he fumbles and is sloppy with the ball in general.

Duncan best on ground. I just watched the replay after not knowing the scores.

He is definitely now an a-grader.

Dangerfield a close second.
Duncan was running completely free of an opponent. His opposite number was Zorko. Dangerfield had a tight opponent all night. Thus Dangerfield clear best on ground. Duncan's going fantastic though but you need to account for who is playing on who.

Duncan was running completely free of an opponent. His opposite number was Zorko. Dangerfield had a tight opponent all night. Thus Dangerfield clear best on ground. Duncan's going fantastic though but you need to account for who is playing on who.
Danger was on Zorko for plenty of the game. Not that they even play on each other these days.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on. He had a shocker against Brisbane but has exceeded all expectations in 2017

Gold. I can just imagine it now. Her "Cataholic, talk dirty to me". Cataholic, whispers in her ear "Bartel is overrated". Her "ooh, that's it".

She wants to hear me say just what a cheating ducker Selwood is, and how cross-eyed Dawkins is.......works every time :oops:

BRISBANE LIONS v GEELONG
9 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
9 Dayne Zorke (BL)
6 Mitch Duncan (Geel)
3 Mark Blicavs (Geel)
2 Lachie Henderson (Geel)
1 Jed Bews (Geel)

So, did the coaches give 5 votes to their own or the opposition?

Pretty easy to tell the split this week:
Dangerfield: 5 & 4
Zoeko: 4 & 5
Duncan: 3 & 3
Blicavs: 2 & 1
Henderson: 2
Bews: 1

Would also curious to see whom went for Henderson & whom Bews - but happy to see Bews get reward for his game, been solid and deserves recognition for that

BRISBANE LIONS v GEELONG
9 Dayne Zorke (BL)
6 Mitch Duncan (Geel)
3 Mark Blicavs (Geel)
1 Jed Bews (Geel)

Would also curious to see whom went for Henderson & whom Bews - but happy to see Bews get reward for his game, been solid and deserves recognition for that
Scott would of given it to bews and thus that means the lions gave it to Henderson.

BRISBANE LIONS v GEELONG
9 Dayne Zorke (BL)
6 Mitch Duncan (Geel)
3 Mark Blicavs (Geel)
1 Jed Bews (Geel)

At a guess I would say Bews got votes off Fagan, because I would have thought there were other games that could have drawn them off Scotty but didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Lions by 85 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back