Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins is too hot headed. O'Connor or Stewart for me. Preferably Stewart because he's a defender and "sees the whole game"
Agree now. Wasn't so sure until this year. Duncan is the other one, but no joint captains

I was a big Mackie supporter but wow he was in the right place at the right time. Plenty of players of his ability barely player in a final and yet here he is with that record.

Selwood & Taylor would seem the least surprising Geelong names on that list considering when they started & the era they played in, but when you then consider that Mackie, Bartel & Stevie J were drafted a few years earlier, it says a lot about when they really cemented their spots in the side

Mackie only played 280 games - so in the 12 games that followed that mark, he had a further 7 wins, 4 losses & a draw; 207 wins from 280 games seems a pretty good record

I got nothing if you have a couple of players down you just drop them, but when 16 are bad something is wrong and i don't have a clue what it is....We will find out more in the next 3 games.
We are playing with little confidence brought on by the short pre season, adjusting to the man on mark rule that forces more play on football, injuries/suspensions to important players (Cameron, Danger, Rohan, Higgins, even Sav) and Hawkins being off form, probably due to having to carry the forward line and an injury.
But the thing about confidence is that it can come back quickly, and no one should write us off just yet, particularly not our supporters.

Here's my take on the game.
I was so bored by half time that I hopped off the couch and decided doing the dishes was a smarter option.

Never watched another minute.

I was so bored by half time that I hopped off the couch and decided doing the dishes was a smarter option.

I was bored by the repetition of inside 50's by the Cats that amounted to zilch. If we can get this right who knows. There were positives in the game even if against North

People who say SDK should not have played have no idea. you give these kids a taste then they no what they have to work on, That's how you learn
I learnt something from attending the game. SDK's nickname is now "donkey". Cause you can just about get the word donkey out of dekoning. So I will forever refer to him as that. I thought donkey was pretty unlikely to get a couple of goals. Just didn't finish the job, nerves probably got to him.

But I would rather see him down back where he belongs.

I guess Id ask if you had paid for membership tickets would you go..and would you stay?

I agree with the lack of excitement by the way I suspect I am inching towards being a stay at home channel turner dishwasher as well.. especially this year having to go and find different seats every week. The seats I had yesterday were built for someone under 6 foot... and thats in the Players stand. Paying a lot to be bored atm.

I guess Id ask if you had paid for membership tickets would you go..and would you stay?

I agree with the lack of excitement by the way I suspect I am inching towards being a stay at home channel turner dishwasher as well.. especially this year having to go and find different seats every week. The seats I had yesterday were built for someone under 6 foot... and thats in the Players stand. Paying a lot to be bored atm.
I haven't had a membership for 12 years or so.
We played Melbourne at the mcg and I put it to the family at 1/2 time that we should leave (we were winning)
I was outvoted.

20 minutes into the third I put my foot down and we left.
So that answers that.

Actually it couldn't have been 12 years. Maybe 8

Look at the Dhal goal and watch him when he doesn’t get the ball , the boys had to keep encouraging him because he wasn’t happy and was very sooky from what I saw

This is absolutely ridiculous. He was a kid playing his first game what was disappointed. Seriously **** me if we are having a go a a kid being disappointed missing out on his first goal where are we at.

Agree now. Wasn't so sure until this year. Duncan is the other one, but no joint captains

I was going to put Duncan's name up, but he's not hard enough personality wise. I reckon the boy from Ireland and a Geelong chippy who've taken the hard road to footy are better suited than a typical AFL pathway, was-always-going-to-play-footy-professionally type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I know this will angry up those supporters who want to see us as simply having poor attitude, poor game plan and poor players - so this comment isn't really for you guys. Anyone who wants to see the positives though...

I am reading the poor game yesterday as being still about our interrupted pre-season and destabilised forward line in the first four weeks, but with some upside over previous weeks. Our shocking skills are reflective of spending far less time on drills in pre-season than we normally would, as is our disordered forward fifty work.

The big thing I noticed this week was that we ran the game out far better and corrected our woeful clearance rate from Melbourne last week. I have a feeling the boys have turned a corner with match fitness and will now be able to run out games without having to play keep 'em offs in the last quarter. Skills will now have a higher focus and I reckon we will see an improvement there over the next two weeks.

Personally, I can't wait to see Sav and Cameron come in (hopefully both next week) - the sooner we get that forward line set up and stable with viable ruck relief for Stanley the better. I reckon we will do pretty well against West Coast at home next week - they play a game similar to ours that revolves around maintaining possession and moving it down the flanks, but on a big fat ground, not a long skinny one like we do. If we bring a little bit of pressure we will have much more success cracking their system than they do ours.

This is absolutely ridiculous. He was a kid playing his first game what was disappointed. Seriously fu** me if we are having a go a a kid being disappointed missing out on his first goal where are we at.

I also noticed when he missed the goal in the 2nd quarter one of his teammates (might've been Dal) came up to him and told him not to dwell on it. Guess that means he was throwing a tanty though.

I’m just saying he wasn’t ready ffs

And it wasn’t just one incident

Being ready has nothing to do with questioning his attitude to the team. When were these other incidents of not showing the right attitude? Just so we can assess his behaviour fairly. If there are a number I'm happy to be wrong.

The criticism of Sam Dekoning is ludicrous in the extreme. He showed plenty. Of course he'll be back in the VFL soon enough, but at least we've been given a glimpse of the future. We need to see a few others too - Cooper, Krueger etc.

The young chaps need to know that they are valued. Sam DK was pick 19, is in his second year at the club etc. There was nothing incongruous about his selection given that we've been playing some ordinary footballers for years.

Being ready has nothing to do with questioning his attitude to the team. When were these other incidents of not showing the right attitude? Just so we can assess his behaviour fairly. If there are a number I'm happy to be wrong.
Do you want me to go and get timestamps just so I can vouch an opnion ...I’m not wasting my time doing that or watching the game again

Do you want me to go and get timestamps just so I can vouch an opnion ...I’m not wasting my time doing that or watching the game again

No you can just explain the situations as you remember them? I assume that's that fair enough? I wouldn't want to ask you to go to those lengths. That would be ridiculous as you suggest. I can watch for them when I watch the replay again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back