Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No you can just explain the situations as you remember them? I assume that's that fair enough? I wouldn't want to ask you to go to those lengths. That would be ridiculous as you suggest. I can watch for them when I watch the replay again.
Just watch him in the forward line when the camera is on him , I just don’t think he was ready with how he responded to being overlooked and how he responded to not getting the ball ect

He will learn from it , but I think it was way too early for him to debut personally due to his attitude and output

Conclusions have been reached about a kid's "attitude" after watching him play one game of football and his debut game at that!!!!

Just watch him in the forward line when the camera is on him , I just don’t think he was ready with how he responded to being overlooked and how he responded to not getting the ball ect

He will learn from it , but I think it was way too early for him to debut personally due to his attitude and output

So am I looking for disappointment to not being used?

I also noticed when he missed the goal in the 2nd quarter one of his teammates (might've been Dal) came up to him and told him not to dwell on it. Guess that means he was throwing a tanty though.
Was that the one Dal stole from him in the goal square?

The criticism of Sam Dekoning is ludicrous in the extreme. He showed plenty. Of course he'll be back in the VFL soon enough, but at least we've been given a glimpse of the future. We need to see a few others too - Cooper, Krueger etc.

The young chaps need to know that they are valued. Sam DK was pick 19, is in his second year at the club etc. There was nothing incongruous about his selection given that we've been playing some ordinary footballers for years.
the kid hasn’t even played 5 vfl games yet cause of covid last year. I reckon he’s gonna be a good player for the future and I like some of the flashes I’ve seen from him. You could see he was getting abit frustrated at times but you can’t knock him for that, kid playing his first game in front of his family of course he wants to play well.

Last edited:
the kid hasn’t even played 5 vfl games yet cause of covid last year. I reckon he’s gonna be a good player for the future and I like some of the flashes I’ve seen from him. You could see he was getting abit frustrated at time but you can’t knock him for that, kid playing his first game in front oh his family of course he wants to play well.

Hahahaha apparently you can knock him for that on this board which is simply unbelievable to me.

Was that the one Dal stole from him in the goal square?

Nah, it was down the other end when he ran into an open goal and shanked it. Commentators thought he might've been spooked by the crowd noise as he might have thought he had someone bearing down on him and hurried his kick.

Hahahaha apparently you can knock him for that on this board which is simply unbelievable to me.
i reckon if we can get 4-5 games into him this year I'd be happy, maybe games against weaker opposition or when jez or tom need a spell he can come in. He's a similar build to Tim English and its taken him a while to look like he belongs, just need to be patient with big skinny guys.

I was sitting down that end and was watching him closely. His reactions were no different from any player. Seriously, if you think that was somehow a bad thing then you have issues.

Would you rather he was happy that they didn't kick it to him when he was in a good position?

Bloody hell. He would have been a bit disappointed he fluffed a few chances to score his first goal. I don't think anyone could blame him for that.

I was sitting down that end and was watching him closely. His reactions were no different from any player. Seriously, if you think that was somehow a bad thing then you have issues.

Would you rather he was happy that they didn't kick it to him when he was in a good position?

Bloody hell. He would have been a bit disappointed he fluffed a few chances to score his first goal. I don't think anyone could blame him for that.
I have issues

Wow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conclusions have been reached about a kid's "attitude" after watching him play one game of football and his debut game at that!!!!
I’m using his attitude along with his perfomance as a reason he may not had been ready just yet for his AFL debut

I’m not attacking him ffs I’m just saying I don’t think he was ready

I'd hate to hear what you think of Tommy Hawkins cracking the shits every single time something doesn't go his way.
Or Joel Selwood giving greasies to constantly to players who make mistakes.

No you can just explain the situations as you remember them? I assume that's that fair enough? I wouldn't want to ask you to go to those lengths. That would be ridiculous as you suggest. I can watch for them when I watch the replay again.
I think a lot of it was just the way his face looked when he was out there, but I think that's literally just what his face looks like.

I think a lot of it was just the way his face looked when he was out there, but I think that's literally just what his face looks like.
I was listening to triple M last night and he is actually the youngest of 10 siblings!
Had a lot of people come down to watch him, would've been disappointed missing those easy kicks.
And yeah his face is just kinda like that lol

Assessing attitude' is extremely subjective - unless of course you're a mind-reader. There is simply no way we can know about Sam DK's 'attitude' on the basis of the game yesterday.

I'm also very sceptical about the charge that such and such a player is 'soft'; it's an easy knee-jerk criticism by people watching, not playing, a tough game. Over the years Guthrie was deemed soft by some; Stanley cops it too. But how would you know? Body shape, individual quirks of movement and other variables can all influence perceptions of attitude.

I noticed one of the occasions Strange Cat was referring to after Dahlhaus kicked that goal. He sort of threw his head back in disappointment. I’ll bet after missing that goal early on it was disappointing not to get one. TBH, Dahlhaus probably needed it more! But I’m not too worried about a young bloke being disappointed like that. He’s hungry to do well and to please. He should be proud of a promising debut. The encouragement he got from Rohan and Hawk after the Dahlhaus goal was good stuff.

934F041D-1139-47A3-9327-CDDA10CA7899.gif

Assessing attitude' is extremely subjective - unless of course you're a mind-reader. There is simply no way we can know about Sam DK's 'attitude' on the basis of the game yesterday.

I'm also very sceptical about the charge that such and such a player is 'soft'; it's an easy knee-jerk criticism by people watching, not playing, a tough game. Over the years Guthrie was deemed soft by some; Stanley cops it too. But how would you know? Body shape, individual quirks of movement and other variables can all influence perceptions of attitude.

Agree. The same can be said for any game/player criticism on a given day. Most fans there were not spectacularly entertained yesterday, to say the least, and yes, most fans of successful teams tend toward the entitled.
Yet they were upbeat and happy after the win, Stewart pleased with a hard fought result and Danger saying we are going places.
They don't call it positive sports psychology for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back