Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 4 points - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Bris or Pt Ade - i dont know if their was much reward for winning tonight - like whats happens if they capitulated ( for whatever reason ) but still just hung on - i think id rather take the stinging loss reaction ( hopefully next week )

Posters saying and raving about oh Port in SA - they will be up and about blah blah - well the Dogs went over their 6-7 weeks ago and cleaned them up . You can argue the case ( which i agree with ) that Brisbane are a dangerous opponent

If Geel lost how they did tonight - and importantly there was a top 4 spot riding on it - then you would be really worried

I reakon you guys would of hammered Brisbane.
Port at Adelaide oval... not easy... fans are mad and you will be dealing with the Adelaide Oval umpiring.

All the best. Winning this would be huge.

Cameron was ok, had one easy set shot, converted, missed (with one poster) two other pretty tough shots. Also made a goal out of nothing and created another with a very nice kick on the run to Rohan.
Probably needed to do a little bit more though, yes.

He does a lot around the wings and flanks. Completely opens it up for Hawkins.
He usually only gets it about 10 times a game but half of them are score involvements, including 2 or 3 for himself.

In reality if we are good enough to win the flag we will beat port so it doesnt matter a lot (tonights result) and if we arent we dont deserve to win it but the lack of run in the last quarter concerned me..i hope we arent gassed before finals start.

Woah... that was vintage Cats choking from the 1990s stuff hehe... or against the Tigers in recent years...

Don't worry Cats fans. We don't want an extra bye anyway, probably lose to Port and load up for week in week out wins there after.

Though, I think we can beat Port over there.

Hard to find any positives tonight but those who have identified Max Holmes' game as a one bright spot are on the right track; he was excellent in the clearances when we were on top and it was interesting to see Scott and co. go with him at the centre bounces late in the game after Melbourne had wrested momentum, too.

At one point this year I worried that he might be more athlete than footballer; the more I watch him play though the more I realise he is the epitome of a modern footballer and he knows exactly how to play the modern game.

He's got a robust frame for a kid; instinctively seems to know how to use his body as a projectile in the contest while minimizing harm to himself.

Also, there was a passage of play this evening where he fluffed a shot on goal (badly) and yet was able to affect the next 3 contests through sheer leg-speed/gut-running. Very much a Chris Scott type player.

He does a lot around the wings and flanks. Completely opens it up for Hawkins.
He usually only gets it about 10 times a game but half of them are score involvements, including 2 or 3 for himself.

Yes, and I'm happy with that - can kick it up a gear when he is ''on'' too - tonight he was just ok, like most of the team I didn't see bugger all of him in the last.

We are weaker without players like Tuohy and Duncan, but can cover those losses, even against good teams. I don't think we can cover the loss of Stewart, though, who is not only elite but the most structurally important player. I've no doubt Geelong hold on and win tonight had he played.

Whatever the case, that was a superb comeback by the Dees, who will feel bulletproof after that. For Geelong, it will be hard to recover from this colossal capitulation. Next week Port will ride a wave of local agomphious passion to a likely win. My monopoly money is now on a Melbourne v Port GF.

I like Holmes and Simpson as future mids. Impressive to think Holmes is 19 with just one preseason behind him. I think he'll be a player.

I reakon you guys would of hammered Brisbane.
Port at Adelaide oval... not easy... fans are mad and you will be dealing with the Adelaide Oval umpiring.

All the best. Winning this would be huge.

If there’s one place where the cats seem to do well with umpiring, it’s in Adelaide. Strangely the worst place imo for the cats with umpiring is at KP.

If there’s any place where the cats seem to do well with umpiring, it’s in Adelaide. Strangely the worst place imo for the cats with umpiring is at KP.

You didn't watch Round 1 Adelaide v Geelong... Go back and watch the last quarter when game is in the balance.

Whatever the case, that was a superb comeback by the Dees, who will feel bulletproof after that. For Geelong, it will be hard to recover from this colossal capitulation. Next week Port will ride a wave of local agomphious passion to a likely win. My monopoly money is now on a Melbourne v Port GF.

I like Holmes and Simpson as future mids. Impressive to think Holmes is 19 with just one preseason behind him. I think he'll be a player.

Yeah whatever mate .

I feel like Stanley had someone in authority telling him to get back to the goal-line.
Looked like he turned back to them after Max's mark to say WTF?!?!

Also looking forward to a final series where even a 44 point lead isn't enough.

Joy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reality if we are good enough to win the flag we will beat port so it doesnt matter a lot (tonights result) and if we arent we dont deserve to win it but the lack of run in the last quarter concerned me..i hope we arent gassed before finals start.

Scott's interpretation was that we just couldn't get our hands on it in the last 30 mins (plus error riddled play when we did).
What does that actually mean? I reckon they were gassed in the last, they were knackered and ran out of motivation.
The old senior steady heads, misfit generals and Duncan were sorely missed in the last, and Close showing his immaturity.
Scott mentioned that they knew we were going to Adelaide either way, and could have been a factor in capitulating.
Pretty poor as a mindset-but it is what it is.
Looking forward not back is his thing, but he looked ready to go home and kick his fence in.

We've heard a lot of how Dees will now think they are invincible, and other teams will know they can reel us in, but in reality
that is usually much harder done than said - particularly in finals.
I prefer to think we spent 10 glorious minutes obliterating them, can do it again next time-but go on with it.

Not usually a fan of the pre finals bye but would have been handy for us. Lots of players recently returned from injury and other players tired from long season. Last three games we’ve looked tired.

Not usually a fan of the pre finals bye but would have been handy for us. Lots of players recently returned from injury and other players tired from long season. Last three games we’ve looked tired.
I'm now thankful there's no bye.
It's not good to lose like that and have a week off. Make them get back on the bike asap.

I'm still glad we aren't playing Brisbane though. They are too quick.

Agree with that.
My only confidence is that all of the teams look shaky-even melbourne tonight.
Whoever wins the flag this year will bradbury it.
We are flawed but hopefully are good enough to do that.

I am not concerned by Port, or whoever we would have to play in a SF or PF.

My concern is that our main contender for the flag this year is Melbourne. And we just coughed up a massive lead to them. In Geelong. With probably just about the best team we could put out there.

So should we get to a Grand Final or a PF and the opponent is Melbourne, they now know they can beat us at the G or at GMHBA. If we had gone on with the job tonight and spanked them that does more for us going into next week.

Now we go to Adelaide against a Port team that might think we will run out of gas in the end.

I'm now thankful there's no bye.
It's not good to lose like that and have a week off. Make them get back on the bike asap.

I'm still glad we aren't playing Brisbane though. They are too quick.

At the moment it's a broken bike with flat tyres. I think they know something we don't about the state of physical flux in the players.
Why else would they want a bye?
You could argue lockdown and all that travel and covid procedures entail, and the awful way they were treated in the West v Eagles.
I'm not confident that the draining pre game procedures will improve in SA, particularly against Port.
Recalibrating needed the week off, but it's not to be just yet for the second Covid Cup.

I am not concerned by Port, or whoever we would have to play in a SF or PF.

My concern is that our main contender for the flag this year is Melbourne. And we just coughed up a massive lead to them. In Geelong. With probably just about the best team we could put out there.

So should we get to a Grand Final or a PF and the opponent is Melbourne, they now know they can beat us at the G or at GMHBA. If we had gone on with the job tonight and spanked them that does more for us going into next week.

Now we go to Adelaide against a Port team that might think we will run out of gas in the end.

We are pies of 2011

Normally I’d be livid losing a game like that, but I was over it quite quickly. Maybe wishful thinking, but it was more cue in the rack stuff than anything else. We can definitely bounce back over there next week, ( we beat lions at the Gabba last finals) and apart from Collingwood in 2018 whenever a side loses a close one to a gf opponent late in the season or in an earlier final, they reverse the result in the big one. Good signs in some of the matchups for us and the dees have no one if note to come back. 💪

This is probably the biggest overreaction I've seen on any autopsy thread, in the history of my time on the Geelong BF board.

1. The stakes were very low for us, despite how the commentators were acting. Regardless of the result, we finish Top 4, and we get the double chance and play in Adelaide.

2. It was clear we completely put the cue in the rack in the second half, and everyone dropped off. We were playing with one eye on next week (as Scott alluded to), and it showed in the management of players on the bench, and the way we played risk averse footy the whole last quarter - to avoid any injury leading into finals. Rightly or wrongly, that's how it looked, that's how Sel and Scott seem to have reacted to it, and that's how it played out.

3. We didn't get smacked by 10 goals...we lost by 4 points...against the minor premiers...who were full strength and weren't missing players...after being up by as much as 44 points at one stage.

4. I would much rather this capitulation happen in Round 23, then the QF, PF or GF (historically we've been pretty good in semis). The worst thing that could have happened, is that we hold on to win the game tonight, and the players and coaching staff all go 'oh yeah, that worked, let's do that again when we're up by a lot.' This way, they get the kick up the ass BEFORE finals, rather than AFTER finals...when we've been eliminated/lost the decider - as is usually the case.

5. Guthrie made one mistake in a season, that was costly, and suddenly he's the town pariah? Jeez. Same with Close, who's been good all year, and had one bad blemish. We deserved to lose that game, from the moment we tried to hold on with 6 minutes to go.

6. Despite what many on here have said, Melbourne were the better team all night. They were inaccurate early on, and then some sheer brilliance from Paddy, Sel and Stanley, for a 15 minute period in the second, took us 39 points up at half time. If we had of played that frenetic way all night, then absolutely we would have been kicking ourselves for losing. As it stands, we played that way for 15 minutes, and the rest of the time we played conservatively.

Lastly. As every single person here knows, and as we have been lectured at ad nauseam by Tigers supporters and the like, 'flags are not won during the home and away season - they're won at the pointy end.' We've always blown our load too early, and looked a million bucks halfway through the season, before we cough and splutter our way into finals, and ultimately lose. This year, we coughed and spluttered at the start, built nicely during the middle, and have cruised through to a Top 4 position, with most players (bar Stewart) likely to play in our Qualifier. This is a far better result than previous years - and mirrors the Tiger attitude they adopted in previous years. Once you make finals and get the double chance, the home and away season means nothing - people would do well to remember that.

Peace.

Last edited:
We are pies of 2011
Disagree. If Melbourne had absolutely punished us from start to finish maybe, but to be fair tonight showed that we have the right players to hang with them but we really need to be smarter with ball entries and how Melbourne zones off.

That said, if Henderson hadn't gone into no mans land and smashed into Cameron, maybe Cameron scores an easy goal and we win by 6 points anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back