Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 4 points - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it though? I honestly think he's regressed this year. The last few years he was developing in to a brick wall in defence and he looked assured in possession. I remember posters in here talking about him as being only a season or two away from AA honours. He looks nowhere near that standard at the moment. The positional swift seems to have unsettled him a bit imo and suddenly he seems only a so-so as both a midfielder and defender.
Reckon it's the missed footy not the position switch

The last month has been crap
I'm sensing a straight sets exit
We are a experienced, battle/finals hardened unit with some champion players so still very good chance to win it, however…
premierships are usually won by teams peaking at the right time and clearly we aren’t. Melbourne, Port, Swans, GWS have a lot of momentum and Brisbane are a complete team with lots of weapons. All are probably in better shape physically than we are currently. Going to be a massive effort by us to win three game to be the premiers

We are a experienced, battle/finals hardened unit with some champion players so still very good chance to win it, however…
premierships are usually won by teams peaking at the right time and clearly we aren’t. Melbourne, Port, Swans, GWS have a lot of momentum and Brisbane are a complete team with lots of weapons. All are probably in better shape physically than we are currently. Going to be a massive effort by us to win three game to be the premiers
Stewart out is key
We wouldn't have lost last night if he was there

The small victory is that we obviously can expose their defense which is their 1 wood, and we didn't get any injuries
Though we exposed them they did exactly the same thing back to us.
We defiantly took our foot off the pedal in the second half, be interesting if we play them again

This thread is about as shitty as the way Geelong lost.

We’ll come out and dominate Port next week and then the thread will be about how we are premiership favs and we have the best team and the best coach and bra bla bla.

This thread is about as shitty as the way Geelong lost.

We’ll come out and dominate Port next week and then the thread will be about how we are premiership favs and we have the best team and the best coach and bra bla bla.
Why?
This time last year had same QF match up v Port and got done over
Logic suggests same result

3 quarters positive and up and about. That last quarter definitely edit that going into next week. I think PA supporters would have been thinking wtf with either Melbourne or Geelong they play during the game. Obviously would have been much better going to AO as the "home" side. No injuries just head down and bum up.

In reality if we are good enough to win the flag we will beat port so it doesnt matter a lot (tonights result) and if we arent we dont deserve to win it but the lack of run in the last quarter concerned me..i hope we arent gassed before finals start.

I think for me, and many other Geelong fans, it’s not so much the fact we lost, the demons are good, best team all year, it’s how we lost and the fact we coughed up a 44pt lead… at home. It’s not the hallmarks of a premiership team to be, there’s massive question marks over us going into finals on the back of last night, because we saw yet again us wilt under pressure when a team comes hard, and again our inability to even register 1 goal against the flow was evident.

We’ve seen this movie many times before over the last 10 seasons, it’s all going to script again it seems…. Again!!

He does a lot around the wings and flanks. Completely opens it up for Hawkins.
He usually only gets it about 10 times a game but half of them are score involvements, including 2 or 3 for himself.
I've only watched the final 2 minutes, but his effort to tackle Brayshaw I think and chase with about a minute and a half left was pretty insipid when regaining possession was critical.. Still expect him to lift over the next few weeks now he's had a chance to develop some match fitness.

Put the cue in the rack and lost the game in the end. Unfortunate but as long as we got out with no injuries then I'm happy with how the game went overall.

Next to zero ramifications. We play at the same ground against an opposition we've largely owned in the past few years.

Freshen up and recover and get ready to belt Port. They're not a good side and they're the easier side to beat in a QF.
Just want some clarification on the bold - all top 4 teams plays at Adelaide Oval? So it really didn’t matter who won, except for who we play there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You keep defending Chris Scott’s defensive football. There is a reason some of us are against it.

we refuse to handball quickly from a mark to a player running past. Must control it through measured kicking and eventually when those options dry up just bomb it long down the line. Doesn’t work when the other side applies significant foward defensive pressure.

refuse to just punch the ball foward in a contested situation. Always have to grab It knowing we will be tackled to force a ball up. Doesn’t work when the other team gets on top in the clearances.

no risk no reward in finals Pressure football.
where oh where have i defended CS

LOFL.

GO Catters

Just want some clarification on the bold - all top 4 teams plays at Adelaide Oval? So it really didn’t matter who won, except for who we play there?

It's not that the top 4 automatically play at AO, rather that Cook said in an interview before the game that if we beat Melbourne and could therefore choose where to play Brisbane, we'd choose AO.

It's not that the top 4 automatically play at AO, rather that Cook said in an interview before the game that if we beat Melbourne and could therefore choose where to play Brisbane, we'd choose AO.
Closest to Kardinia dimensions going around. I'd have thought they'd rather somewhere with a wider forward line like the gabba

Why?
This time last year had same QF match up v Port and got done over
Logic suggests same result

logic suggests that we lost that game because Hawkins couldn’t hit a barn door - logic says that Shouldn’t really happen again AND we have JC

Well it's clear our players no longer care. See danger having a good old chat to a Melbourne player whilst Gawn was lining up. Therefore I no longer care either. At least I won't be there to see us capitulate yet again. And, bonus, I haven't got my hopes up this year. Good news all round really.
You may as well not have posted at all then.

Can someone please direct me to 1 move that was made to stem the tide when it was going pear shaped? Or 1 change of tactics that was made?

If no moves at all were made (and I suspect there werent), then ask yourself - why not?

Oliver is the kind of player you can build a great team around. He's a monster, absolutely relentless. He shows what we really lack in the younger players on our list.

He shows what you can draft if you spend a decade down the bottom of the ladder - was the #4 pick in the 2015 draft. That's been our worst year in the past 14 and we got #9. Adelaide picked up Milera, who's played two games in the last two seasons (due to injury, I think).

If we want players like that, we've got to go down the ladder. And based on the reaction of some of us tonight, that seems a fate too horrible to even contemplate.

logic suggests that we lost that game because Hawkins couldn’t hit a barn door - logic says that Shouldn’t really happen again AND we have JC

We’re better than Port, problem is they are hitting form at the right time, our last month has been very flakey, we’re not in great touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back