Autopsy Geelong loses to Lions by 44 points. - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers had more free kicks than they had points in the match...

View attachment 1164535

80c705b608437d97f90ef1a03323ca4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep they were very good and would be better to not have to play a final up there, but they were also coming off a pretty easy run into that game, most of the cards were in their favour the other night.

Do you think there’s a possibility we thought same? You can’t win every week. Tigers ‘17 keeps coming to mind. Lose h&a to us then smash us finals time.

Do you think there’s a possibility we thought same? You can’t win every week. Tigers ‘17 keeps coming to mind. Lose h&a to us then smash us finals time.

Probably, yep.
Well I’d be a bit nervous playing them in brissy, though think we’d give a better account next time.
Playing them at the G I’d feel pretty hopeful, wouldn’t you?

I thought they were pretty close to their best apart from their accuracy on goal. The way they attacked the game had the look of a team who were on the hunt for a big scalp.

Tackling and pressure were top notch and they were ready play on, move fast and attack the game at every opportunity especially in the first quarter.

I think their intensity faded a little as the game went on but it’s near impossible to bring what they did in the 1st for 4 quarters. Either way it was still far above ours.
We totally invited the pressure. They we're up and about, sure, but made a lot of errors themselves under very little pressure. The only good thing for us is we gave them nothing to take away from the game other than the 4 points.

We totally invited the pressure. They we're up and about, sure, but made a lot of errors themselves under very little pressure. The only good thing for us is we gave them nothing to take away from the game other than the 4 points.

And third spot as we drop to fifth.

They said last weeks game was played at an amazing level of intensity. Finals pressure. I think it was Carey who said that both teams might struggle the following week.

Hope we don’t win a prelim under those extremities . GF will be a disaster then. Excuses excuses… love it!

Psychologically something is wrong with the club.

I attend every Brisbane home game. I live here in Queensland. The Lions were hungry and aggressive, but they were not firing on all cylinders. If they were firing on all cylinders, it would have been an absolute bloodbath. I wouldn’t say this game is anywhere close to Brisbane’s best, which is a scary thought. Both Brisbane and Melbourne will be hard to beat come finals.

I went to the VFL on Friday too. Despite the result, the Cats were very tense with the exception of Stanley, who is like a giant puppy. The players really appeared unhappy in person. It was lovely to see them play but as a group their energy was a red flag to me given the scoreline.

The Cats players as a group seem tense and unhappy. They are professional enough to still be in the top four, but something is off behind the scenes that we as supporters are not privy to I believe. Before the game, Brisbane players were waving and smiling to the crowd in the warm up, but Geelong players were glowering at Geelong supporters who waved to them. It was very off putting. A couple of the players seemed hyper annoyed.

How many good games have we played this year? From memory our good games were against the Eagles, Tigers, Port and Dogs. We have these bursts of excellence because we have excellent individual talents, but teams like Melbourne and Brisbane are consistently killing it because they have the talent but also because they seem as a group psychologically upbeat and strong. Look at Mitch joking around with Fagan at training. You never see the Cats boys that free.

Something is absolutely going on with us. Good clubs keep stuff quiet, but there are moments here and there where things leak. Take the strangeness with Wells. Also Scott this year seems a little more unhinged than usual. So is it something to do with the GF loss? Or is the COVID stuff finally catching up with them? Or is it something to do with the coach? No idea, but the players are uptight about something.

I worry we’ll continue to have bursts of excellence during the rest of the home and away season and then simply get exposed during finals.
Inspector gadget here

Psychologically something is wrong with the club.

I attend every Brisbane home game. I live here in Queensland. The Lions were hungry and aggressive, but they were not firing on all cylinders. If they were firing on all cylinders, it would have been an absolute bloodbath. I wouldn’t say this game is anywhere close to Brisbane’s best, which is a scary thought. Both Brisbane and Melbourne will be hard to beat come finals.

I went to the VFL on Friday too. Despite the result, the Cats were very tense with the exception of Stanley, who is like a giant puppy. The players really appeared unhappy in person. It was lovely to see them play but as a group their energy was a red flag to me given the scoreline.

The Cats players as a group seem tense and unhappy. They are professional enough to still be in the top four, but something is off behind the scenes that we as supporters are not privy to I believe. Before the game, Brisbane players were waving and smiling to the crowd in the warm up, but Geelong players were glowering at Geelong supporters who waved to them. It was very off putting. A couple of the players seemed hyper annoyed.

How many good games have we played this year? From memory our good games were against the Eagles, Tigers, Port and Dogs. We have these bursts of excellence because we have excellent individual talents, but teams like Melbourne and Brisbane are consistently killing it because they have the talent but also because they seem as a group psychologically upbeat and strong. Look at Mitch joking around with Fagan at training. You never see the Cats boys that free.

Something is absolutely going on with us. Good clubs keep stuff quiet, but there are moments here and there where things leak. Take the strangeness with Wells. Also Scott this year seems a little more unhinged than usual. So is it something to do with the GF loss? Or is the COVID stuff finally catching up with them? Or is it something to do with the coach? No idea, but the players are uptight about something.

I worry we’ll continue to have bursts of excellence during the rest of the home and away season and then simply get exposed during finals.
Always a bit of drama behind the scenes at Geelong- reminds me of tv series home and away at times. A lot of individuals are sick of the 'boys club' down at Geelong with certain individuals looked after better than others. We still have a team who will challenge for the flag though

Just wondering has anyone seen Oliver play from Melbourne?
He would make a good B grade actor.

I barely watch any games these days that do not involve the Cats, so I know of his rep but haven't seen too much of his work (ie acting).

I most likely would not have seen Daniher acting had we not played them.

Hawkins showed early fleeting glimpses of awareness, nous and skill that we haven't seen from Sav

It's not even a comparison.

Hawkins showed far, far more from the very start (he kicked 3 on debut, 4 the following week, and 4 again three weeks after that). Ratugolea has not come remotely close at any point to that output. And that's when Hawkins was 18 and not even fit enough.

Hawkins was also always an excellent kick and natural footballer too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks 15 and Tigers 20 are examples of this occurring in recent history, and everybody saw it and feared it.
Doggies 16 was the aberration.

I don't think they are at all. Both times those teams finished 3rd - so still had the double chance.

Richmond won't be making the top 4 this year. They've already lost too many games and they keep getting injuries.

Always a bit of drama behind the scenes at Geelong- reminds me of tv series home and away at times. A lot of individuals are sick of the 'boys club' down at Geelong with certain individuals looked after better than others. We still have a team who will challenge for the flag though
That’s why we are a ‘destination club’ for sunset players...

Mate it’s this year or bust, if we fail to win the flag then it’s just about time to re-think our approach, instead of trying to again top up. Cameron & Smith have been excellent additions, Higgins has so far been a massive downgrade on Ablett, which has hurt us.

Yep, spot on. Glad it's not just me thinking this. How anyone (media, our club, etc.) thought a near expired Higgins could even come close to a small fraction to what GAJ was delivering even in his final season is mind-boggling.

Yep, spot on. Glad it's not just me thinking this. How anyone (media, our club, etc.) thought a near expired Higgins could even come close to a small fraction to what GAJ was delivering even in his final season is mind-boggling.
How long is Higgins contracted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong loses to Lions by 44 points. - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back