Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did beat them 37-29 in the clearances and 15-3 in centre clearances.
We had plenty of issues, but can't say we were smashed in the middle.

It was more so once our midfield gathered the ball, the pressure was so intense, we welted.
This led to rushed possessions and more worryingly, players put teammates in worse off positions where they were forced to rush their kicks or, turned the footy over completely.

This was precisely what GWS did to our midfield in round 21.

2019 only actually lost by 10 points in first final to pies. Flogged wc. Richmond too good in prelim.
2019 the Pies game was a massive stuff-up. We were on top of the ladder. They were 4th (which I note you use to excuse the 2020 QF for us). The Pies weren't much of a side that year, really. Look at how the rest of their finals series went. They allowed GWS to grind them to a loss, who subsequently almost allowed Richmond to break our flogging record in the GF. We put the Pies on the easy side of the draw and they weren't good enough to capitalise.

As was the case in a lot of our finals, in the 2019 QF we tripped over ourselves at selection. We still had no idea what we were doing with our rucks and decided we'd just cede the battle entirely to Grundy before the ball was bounced. And like a lot of finals we allowed them to jump us and mount a strong early lead that we couldn't recover from.

The Richmond prelim was a comparatively much stronger performance. At least we came out of the blocks and took control of the game in the first half, though that was unfortunately setting another trend that would continue with the GF the following year.

2019 the Pies game was a massive stuff-up. We were on top of the ladder. They were 4th (which I note you use to excuse the 2020 QF for us). The Pies weren't much of a side that year, really. Look at how the rest of their finals series went. They allowed GWS to grind them to a loss, who subsequently almost allowed Richmond to break our flogging record in the GF. We put the Pies on the easy side of the draw and they weren't good enough to capitalise.

As was the case in a lot of our finals, in the 2019 QF we tripped over ourselves at selection. We still had no idea what we were doing with our rucks and decided we'd just cede the battle entirely to Grundy before the ball was bounced. And like a lot of finals we allowed them to jump us and mount a strong early lead that we couldn't recover from.

The Richmond prelim was a comparatively much stronger performance. At least we came out of the blocks and took control of the game in the first half, though that was unfortunately setting another trend that would continue with the GF the following year.
Not sure that I ‘excused’ anything, just suggested it wasn’t as bad as some are saying. 2019 we finished top on 16 wins, pies finished 4th on 15 wins- so that suggests the teams weren‘t far apart. 2020 port on top with 14 wins, we were 4th with 12 wins. I’d have thought it’s not black and white 1v4- you have to look at the circumstances. How many wins, where the qualifying final is played, what shape teams are in etc. Pies ‘allowed’ GWS to grind them to a 4 point loss. Right. Got it.
Whilst we have little to be happy about in a number of our finals series, I actually think the last couple have been ok and if we hadn’t come up against the fine team that Richmond was, and in particular dustin martin, we’d probably have a couple more flags in the bag.
That being said, happy to agree though, that the ruck thing was stupid in pies game.

Patrick Dangerfield 23 touches, 9 turnovers
Joel Selwood 16 touches
Cam Guthrie 17 touches

I reckon we’re just defining “in the middle” differently. We won the ball fine, but never got it into space or outside runners effectively. Danger butchered it as usual.

Our defence was absolutely disgusting in every facet, I’d say that’s where we were smashed.

Pretty much - deer in the headlights stuff. Hendo, worst game I've seen him play, by a long margin. Would be happy not to see him play again.

I get what you're saying about Hendo, but he's had a good season...very good actually...and while he had a shocker no doubt, I would be loathe to write him off on one poor performance.

If he puts in another poor effort, then perhaps his time has come..let's wait and see...

I get what you're saying about Hendo, but he's had a good season...very good actually...and while he had a shocker no doubt, I would be loathe to write him off on one poor performance.

If he puts in another poor effort, then perhaps his time has come..let's wait and see...
Seems to be the common theme of players having a good season and a poor finals

but we will wait bc and see I guess

Henderson had a good start to the season but has had some bad games/efforts as it's gone on. The whole team's for was patchy pre finals so I actually disagree that Friday everyone went from good to poor in a blink.

Henderson had a good start to the season but has had some bad games/efforts as it's gone on. The whole team's for was patchy pre finals so I actually disagree that Friday everyone went from good to poor in a blink.

The last 4 weeks have not been good for him. ... which ties into the form of the side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back